Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson and 3rd (2025) Traded to Montreal for Casey DeSmith

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Uhh yeah not on a 1yr/2 mill deal lol..

By the time the TDL comes around that 2 mill turns into 1 mill left on top of that

Now you're probably one of these people who were freaking out about retention spots in the summer like it was the all of a sudden popular thing to freak out about lol
But a team won't force us to retain on 1M left, not when they become UFA at years end
Especially if he's having a good year, we'd be in the driver seat for the trade,
If he's having a bad year don't think they trade him since he's not destroying our cap at 6.25

If you say so.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It's also possible that if he remains healthy he may prove to have more value to us going forward than anything we are offered. I think we have to take him at his word that he's feeling better than he has for years.

Didn’t he say the same thing last year ?

I like Monahan, but at this point he’s damage goods. It’s more likely he gets injured than not.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I like Monahan, but at this point he’s damage goods. It’s more likely he gets injured than not.

It doesn't look good for Monahan. But remember when Markov had like 3 knee surgeries in a row? Hopefully Monahan can regain health. I'm sure he's working hard on his core strength.

How he was allowed to play when he was in a walking boot is mind boggling.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It doesn't look good for Monahan. But remember when Markov had like 3 knee surgeries in a row? Hopefully Monahan can regain health. I'm sure he's working hard on his core strength.

Markov completely changed his training regiment after all those knee injuries. The difference in physique and conditioning was insane. He also didn’t take shit from any player on the ice, he would slash and hit behind the play.

I really hope Monahan comes back to form, as he’s a smart player and can produce in a complementary role, but till this happens I have my doubts about him.

In my head, he’s getting injured again and even if doesn’t, I don’t think a GM will risk a 1st round pick for a guy with injury issues. Those assets are way to important to blow them on a player who can get injured any time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Markov completely changed his training regiment after all those knee injuries. The difference in physique and conditioning was insane. He also didn’t take shit from any player on the ice, he would slash and hit behind the play.

I really hope Monahan comes back to form, as he’s a smart player and can produce in a complementary role, but till this happens I have my doubts about him.

In my head, he’s getting injured again and even if doesn’t, I don’t think a GM will risk a 1st round pick for a guy with injury issues. Those assets are way to important to blow them on a player who can get injured any time.

You're probably right. So we have to hope for two things.

1) Monahan stays healthy.
2) gM's lose their minds at the trade deadline. Sometimes GM's are conservative, sometimes outlandish. Best Case Scenario is Julien Brisebois has eyes for Monahan. Will Boston be in the playoff race and desperate for a center? Will a contender suffer an injury and be looking for a good center on an expiring contract for just one playoff run?

Reactions: MadMslm

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
You're probably right. So we have to hope for two things.

1) Monahan stays healthy.
2) gM's lose their minds at the trade deadline. Sometimes GM's are conservative, sometimes outlandish. Best Case Scenario is Julien Brisebois has eyes for Monahan. Will Boston be in the playoff race and desperate for a center? Will a contender suffer an injury and be looking for a good center on an expiring contract for just one playoff run?
GMs are perfectly rational when they bet on the present against the future. Most draft picks bust out, most prospects don't amount to much. A rational GM will strike while the iron is hot and try to position his team to succeed as soon as possible. It is irrational to stand pat while your team is good but not great. We've been trained by Bergevin's awful judgement to expect nothing when in fact the best teams and GMs are constantly seeking to improve their roster at all times.

Come March, if Monahan is having a good, healthy year I expect to see a line of suitors for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't be surprised if Ylonen gets passed over by Roy. RHP already did. Simmoneau plays a more complete game then him and puts up points. I think what you see is what you get with Ylonen. If he's not in a top 6 role, don't expect him to play a complete game or to really produce much. He can score every so often, but that's it.

On a slightly related note, I still think Condotta will get a good look.

I'm curious to see how this season plays out. Ylonen might be used for 4th line or depth role at this stage. I'm sure Roy and others pass him but do we rush/push them up this season or next.

Monahan is 29 in Oct. There is a chance he recovers and has a good 3-5 more years. His style of play might create more injuries but time off does help. He's had a fair amount of it. Could get injured again yes but we will see.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

They used to say that about Markov, and then he played another 5-6 seasons............who knows.
One thing for sure, last season the habs had a decent start with Money in the lineup....if and it's a big if right now he can stay healthy he just might fetch a nice return at the deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They used to say that about Markov, and then he played another 5-6 seasons............who knows.
One thing for sure, last season the habs had a decent start with Money in the lineup....if and it's a big if right now he can stay healthy he just might fetch a nice return at the deadline.

Yup, we all know his injury history and it's cheap to predict negative outcomes. However, he did show up healthy last season and was the Monahan of old... before he got injured again.

I like that he was not rushed back last season. Time off could be a good thing. Hopefully his body recovers and he has a good 3-5 more seasons because he's not 35+ yet.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I'm curious to see how this season plays out. Ylonen might be used for 4th line or depth role at this stage. I'm sure Roy and others pass him but do we rush/push them up this season or next.

Monahan is 29 in Oct. There is a chance he recovers and has a good 3-5 more years. His style of play might create more injuries but time off does help. He's had a fair amount of it. Could get injured again yes but we will see.
There's so much depth. I don't think anyone gets rushed. I can't see Ylonen on the 4th line. He's just not that type of player. They really need to build a proper 4th. Condotta would be much better suited. I'm totally against just sticking anyone on a 4th line just because you have extra bodies. If the guy deserved it, he'd be in the top 9 and would bump someone down.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't expect free agency to be a tool the Habs are going to use next summer or much beyond that.

Free agency market gets worse every year, so fine by me personally.

I think they'd prefer not to... but I also think that they will pounce if a key piece they feel is missing becomes available in '24 or '25 summer, and won't be shy to pay the UFA premium provided it's a mid-long term fit & the target has the right culture fit.

Imo, The cap flex & pick/prospect accumulation is all about creating leverage to act decisively when opportunities arise, whatever asset acquisition channel it may be.

Newhook/Dach/Matheson type deals & internal draft & development is clearly the priority, but I don't think they'll hesitate to use UFA route if the right target presents itself

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There's so much depth. I don't think anyone gets rushed. I can't see Ylonen on the 4th line. He's just not that type of player. They really need to build a proper 4th. Condotta would be much better suited. I'm totally against just sticking anyone on a 4th line just because you have extra bodies. If the guy deserved it, he'd be in the top 9 and would bump someone down.

Maybe when the team contends, but right now it makes sense to use the 4th line as an overflow line.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Maybe when the team contends, but right now it makes sense to use the 4th line as an overflow line.
Maybe but you're still not using guys where they can possibly excel. Ylonen isn't a checker and has never really shown anything in his own end either.

Well.....the Habs are not an entity and new management has been only here for 2 drafts so there's only Engstrom, Rohrer and Fowler......and I never said that we didn't miss or hit on these 3rd rounder but it's also too soon to say we never hit on them either. So far looks good.

If there's an opportunity out there, Hughes as put the organization in a prime position to hit a homerun......

We already have 11 picks this year and now another 11 picks next year, that's more than 3 years worth of draft pick. We already have so many prospect and young players at every position that we don't know what to do with them and we have some cap space this year and a ton next summer.

It just make the organization is a better place.
Agreed. Picks and prospects will definitely get moved at some point.

Reactions: Rapala

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
That's true, but I'd say Markov was a fairly different situation. Markov had a lot of injuries, but they were all from specific big hits and that weird injury from Price's skate, it wasn't like he just threw out his knee on a routine pivot or something.

With Monahan it's more chronic stuff that keeps happening without any big specific cause which is much more concerning.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That is exactly what it is. We have a glut of middle sixers and it doesn't automatically make them a higher end fourth line player. Pezz enjoys the role others don't but even he is not my ideal. The biggest turnover in the next season or two will probably be in our bottom six. Hopefully a player or two can graduate to a top six role. Then we can try to sort out who can take on a specific role in the bottom.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Who can name the Habs former 3rd round draft picks who played in the NHL last season?

Hint: Combined, they played a total of 81 NHL games in 2022-23

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

There have been many players who had a spate of injuries and managed to heal. Someone pointed out Markov. Patrice Bergeron was plagued with concussions early in his career. It helps to understand what happened anatomically and whether it can be made more robust or if the player is stuck with a chronic problem. Monahan could surprise us if he is careful about still rehabbing his hips and groin in a proactive manner. We'll see.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
GMs are perfectly rational when they bet on the present against the future. Most draft picks bust out, most prospects don't amount to much. A rational GM will strike while the iron is hot and try to position his team to succeed as soon as possible. It is irrational to stand pat while your team is good but not great. We've been trained by Bergevin's awful judgement to expect nothing when in fact the best teams and GMs are constantly seeking to improve their roster at all times.

Come March, if Monahan is having a good, healthy year I expect to see a line of suitors for him.
Agreed that it is stupid to stand pat when your team is close to a playoff spot even if the GM doesn't think they have any chance of winning the Cup if they make the playoffs. Because you never know what could happen if you get in. Injuries to other teams, good matchups, a little luck and you might win. See Habs last run. Just needed Islanders to get a couple of lucky breaks in Game 7 and they likely win the Cup.

Reactions: DAChampion

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Jordan Harris 65 gp
William Bitten 4 gp
Cale Fleury 12 gp
Spot on.

By my count, looking at third round picks league wide, 115 players played 4,871 games (~160 by drafted team excluding Vegas & Seattle). 11 guys with 20 or more goals.

Not alot of success for most teams in this round although there are exceptions Pittsburgh (Murray, Rust, Guentzel, Letang, Sundqvist), Tampa (Gudas, Point, Killorn, Cirelli), Florida (Montembeault, Trocheck, Dadonov), Dallas (Lindell, R. Smith) Columbus (Tarasov, Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Bjorkstrand, Kolesar).

I like looking at this because it gives an idea how teams value different draft picks and which teams have had the most success.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Seems like a good guy to have around the younger guys in the room. Maybe would be a good fit with Monahan/Gallagher for a sort of has-been line.

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Pearson - Monahan - Gallagher
Pinard - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris
Lindstrom/Kovacevic

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Spot on.

By my count, looking at third round picks league wide, 115 players played 4,871 games (~160 by drafted team excluding Vegas & Seattle). 11 guys with 20 or more goals.

Not alot of success for most teams in this round although there are exceptions Pittsburgh (Murray, Rust, Guentzel, Letang, Sundqvist), Tampa (Gudas, Point, Killorn, Cirelli), Florida (Montembeault, Trocheck, Dadonov), Dallas (Lindell, R. Smith) Columbus (Tarasov, Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Bjorkstrand, Kolesar).

I like looking at this because it gives an idea how teams value different draft picks and which teams have had the most success.

On the bright side, Hughes has shown a willingness to use draft picks as trade capital, see Dach and Newhook. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Yeah and he was amazing to start the year. He got a separate injury later on. I would say how good Monahan was was a huge reason we were in a playoff spot after the first month or so. He had hip injuries in Calgary and a foot injury with us. I'm not saying he will stay healthy but he's still a 50-60 point player when healthy.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
On the bright side, Hughes has shown a willingness to use draft picks as trade capital, see Dach and Newhook. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Based on what we've seen, wouldn't be a surprise to see Gorton/Hughes trade another first rounder for a young player they like.

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Seems like a good guy to have around the younger guys in the room. Maybe would be a good fit with Monahan/Gallagher for a sort of has-been line.

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Pearson - Monahan - Gallagher
Pinard - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris
Lindstrom/Kovacevic
so you're throwing in the towel on Ylonen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad