Injury Report: Tanner Laczynski had left hip surgery (late 2021); activated, sent to AHL (Feb. 18)

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Signed a two-year league minimum deal today. 6 years after being drafted in the 6th round he has played 6 games for the Flyers.

We dont play youth. So he is barely able to play with 24. Under 24 you are not rdy for the flyers. Some may be rdy for playoff hockey and winning the Cup with 20. But to play for the flyers you need to be at least 24 and you need WEIGHT AND HEIGHT.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Marody is an AHL top 6 center, not an NHL 4C.
Marody is the type of organizational warrior who gets a call up with 2 games left in the regular season when playoff position is already locked in as a reward. He is definitely not in the mix for a NHL job and would likely be in Europe this year if not for the Russians.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Laczynski should have a real shot for a regular lineup spot if he has a strong camp.

Only thing working against him is that he’s still waiver exempt, so someone like Ratcliffe could get first dibs.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Laczynski should have a real shot for a regular lineup spot if he has a strong camp.

Only thing working against him is that he’s still waiver exempt, so someone like Ratcliffe could get first dibs.
They sign him to a 2 way 1 way contract so they can send him down cause he has not played 41 games to require waivers . Lord knows if we sent Brown down , there would be 31 other teams ready to claim him off waivers you know .

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

The steady "vet" old shoe no upside Brown also working against him.

Isacc/Hodgson/whoever – Tanner – Allison. That should have been your 4th line until they show they can’t cut it. Then you re-evaluate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Marody is the type of organizational warrior who gets a call up with 2 games left in the regular season when playoff position is already locked in as a reward. He is definitely not in the mix for a NHL job and would likely be in Europe this year if not for the Russians.
Marody has been lights out in the AHL, at least in the regular season, is still only 25.
He'll get a look in camp, is he just an AHL plus player or is Edmonton a screwed up organization.
No harm in giving him a chance - sometimes a player will surprise you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Marody's track record in the AHL >> Mayhew. He scores at an elite rate by AHL standards.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Came back and played 28 games for LHV after surgery at the end of September. About 5 months.
Not sure if the surgery was as major as Brink, but that does bode well.

Laczynski has a clear path to 4C, if you can't beat out Brown and Marody to start the season, you don't deserve to be in the NHL.
And once you get to start a half dozen games, it's up to you to convince Torts you should stay in the lineup.
He has zero path.

Deslauries-Coots-Tippett
JVR-Hayes-Atkinson
Cates-Laughton-TK
Hodgson-Brown-MacEwen

Frost isnt gonna make the team...what chance does Tanner have?

• Haha
Reactions: Curufinwe

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Marody's track record in the AHL >> Mayhew. He scores at an elite rate by AHL standards.
Mayhew had 39 goals and 61 pts in 49 AHL games just two seasons before the Flyers signed him, and 9 goals and 18 pts in 18 AHL games the season before the Flyers signed him.

That's pretty damn AHL elite, and it's as good as anything Marody has done in the AHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mayhew had 39 goals and 61 pts in 49 AHL games just two seasons before the Flyers signed him, and 9 goals and 18 pts in 18 AHL games the season before the Flyers signed him.

That's pretty damn AHL elite, and it's as good as anything Marody has done in the AHL.
At an older age. Age matters when looking at AHL performance (and college performance as well, not to mention 20+ year old players in the CHL).

Mayhew broke out when he turned 26, Marody when he turned 22 (both are December birthdays).
And Mayhew has a shot at sticking with a NHL team this year at 30.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
At an older age. Age matters when looking at AHL performance (and college performance as well, not to mention 20+ year old players in the CHL).

Mayhew broke out when he turned 26, Marody when he turned 22 (both are December birthdays).
And Mayhew has a shot at sticking with a NHL team this year at 30.
I'm merely talking about what Mayhew was to the Flyers' org last season, is what Marody will be to the Flyers' org this season:

An established top AHL scorer and someone capable of providing a little skill as an injury callup.

I don't think Marody has any more chance of making the Flyers out of camp this season than Mayhew did last season.

Does Marody have more upside? Sure, I'll concede that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm merely talking about what Mayhew was to the Flyers' org last season, is what Marody will be to the Flyers' org this season:

An established top AHL scorer and someone capable of providing a little skill as an injury callup.

I don't think Marody has any more chance of making the Flyers out of camp this season than Mayhew did last season.

Does Marody have more upside? Sure, I'll concede that.
Oh, Marody is a long shot, but it's not like Marchment for example was expected to become a top 6 forward.
These guys are rare, but it doesn't mean you should dismiss a late bloomer out of hand.

Marchment, didn't make the NHL until he was 24
33g 2-8 10
54g 18-29 47

Or Verhaeghe, again, made the NHL at 24
52g 9-4 13
43g 18-18 36

Gourde, first NHL games at 25
20g 6-2 8
82g 25-39 64

Interesting note on ages of college players:

We recently completed an extensive project that evaluated the commitment dates of the 1,671 men that played NCAA Division I hockey in 2018-19. The average age that a Division I player committed to school was 18.9.

70 percent of all NHL players that played college hockey played at least three years of college hockey.

in 2018-19, the average age of an NHL rookie was actually 23.1 years of age, five years after players' first year of draft eligibility.

Put these factoids together, the typical college rookie started at 19, turned pro at 22, and then spent 1+ years in the AHL before making it to the NHL.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He has zero path.

Deslauries-Coots-Tippett
JVR-Hayes-Atkinson
Cates-Laughton-TK
Hodgson-Brown-MacEwen

Frost isnt gonna make the team...what chance does Tanner have?
Tanner SHOULD play 4C except for POS Brown. Allison over MacEwan. There is no hope for Ratcliffe at all.

#TankHard4Bedard

Reactions: Devonator

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tanner SHOULD play 4C except for POS Brown. Allison over MacEwan. There is no hope for Ratcliffe at all.

#TankHard4Bedard

The fact that they could easily have a 4th line of Ratcliffe - Tanner - Allison that has skill, grit, and potential but will instead have Zack - Brown - Deslauriers is just another little depressing Flyers facet.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not like Ratcliffe, Tanner and Allison won't have the opportunity to impress Torts in TC.
And why would they hesitate to waive Brown or MacEwen, it's not like anyone is going to claim them.

But let's see Ratcliffe show more than last season, Laczynski show that he's better than Brown (not a given at all), and Allison show he can get through a month of training camp without going on IR.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The fact that they could easily have a 4th line of Ratcliffe - Tanner - Allison that has skill, grit, and potential but will instead have Zack - Brown - Deslauriers is just another little depressing Flyers facet.
They are multi-year pros, looked good last year. Why not play them? It’s just stupid. Zamula and Hogberg too.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They played Twarnyski, Bunnaman and Vorobyev. How'd that work for you?

Just because you recognize a prospect's name, doesn't mean they're actually a NHL caliber player, nor or in the future.

It's not like they won't have a chance to impress, or LHV is buried somewhere in the mountains of northern NY. If they can play, it'll be noticed.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
100 CENT!!!
And of course u need a vet at 13th forward because Allison and l-ski being healthy at same time is asking for 1.21 gigowatts to hit the car. But bet the house. 2 of the slogs will be 4th line opening night. I am thinking they can;t be that dumb and not play Allison. But it is the flyers.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ratcliffe hasn't even proven himself in the AHL yet.

Last season was his 3rd in the AHL, and he had 28 points in 59 games.

They probably don't want to waive him -- a 6'6" 23-year-old winger who was drafted 35th overall isn't someone you want to waive and have break-out elsewhere -- but he's sure looking like another bust.

And the Flyers traded UP to get him.

Jason Robertson went four picks later.

The Flyers simply have had far too many of these blown opportunities in the last decade.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ratcliffe hasn't even proven himself in the AHL yet.

Last season was his 3rd in the AHL, and he had 28 points in 59 games.

They probably don't want to waive him -- a 6'6" 23-year-old winger who was drafted 35th overall isn't someone you want to waive and have break-out elsewhere -- but he's sure looking like another bust.

And the Flyers traded UP to get him.

Jason Robertson went four picks later.

The Flyers simply have had far too many of these blown opportunities in the last decade.
The question for me is would you rather play Ratcliff for an extended period to see what you have or play Zac and know what you have? That is what it boils down to

Ratcliff looked just fine in his 10 games. Why on earth he wasn't given an extended look I cant grasp. Especially knowing he has to clear waivers the following year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad