Injury Report: Tanner Laczynski had left hip surgery (late 2021); activated, sent to AHL (Feb. 18)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The question for me is would you rather play Ratcliff for an extended period to see what you have or play Zac and know what you have? That is what it boils down to

Ratcliff looked just fine in his 10 games. Why on earth he wasn't given an extended look I cant grasp. Especially knowing he has to clear waivers the following year
Well, I mean, it's not like he was tearing up the AHL. If he were, I could see your point. But if he can't show what he has at the AHL level it's hard to argue he deserves an extended look to "see what you have" in the NHL.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Well, I mean, it's not like he was tearing up the AHL. If he were, I could see your point. But if he can't show what he has at the AHL level it's hard to argue he deserves an extended look to "see what you have" in the NHL.
Forget the AHL. Look at his 10 game sample when in the NHL. Some players are also better in the NHL than AHL. He was fine in those 10 games. Put up a few points. Did not loo out of place at all.

It is not about deserves. Zac Mac stinks. What does he deserve? You have a guy you drafted that a decision will need to be made on. Where they flyers were last season it was a prefect time to see. There was zero reason to me not to play him down the stretch.

Well since you mention "deserves" do you think Hodgson should have got a more extended look over Zac?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Forget the AHL. Look at his 10 game sample when in the NHL. Some players are also better in the NHL than AHL. He was fine in those 10 games. Put up a few points. Did not loo out of place at all.

It is not about deserves. Zac Mac stinks. What does he deserve? You have a guy you drafted that a decision will need to be made on. Where they flyers were last season it was a prefect time to see. There was zero reason to me not to play him down the stretch.

Well since you mention "deserves" do you think Hodgson should have got a more extended look over Zac?
Hodgson got hurt.

I don't really care about Zack MacEwen getting 4th line time over a guy with 3 AHL seasons of:

53 games, 6 goals, 9 assists, 15 pts
22 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 pts
59 games, 11 goals, 17 assists, 28 pts

If you can't show better that that in the AHL, then you're lucky to have even gotten a 10-game callup in the NHL.

MacEwen at least put up 52 pts in 69 games in his 2nd AHL season.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Hodgson got hurt.

I don't really care about Zack MacEwen getting 4th line time over a guy with 3 AHL seasons of:

53 games, 6 goals, 9 assists, 15 pts
22 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 pts
59 games, 11 goals, 17 assists, 28 pts

If you can't show better that that in the AHL, then you're lucky to have even gotten a 10-game callup in the NHL.

MacEwen at least put up 52 pts in 69 games in his 2nd AHL season.
I don't recall him getting hurt as didn't the go back down and play for the Phantoms? Either way he was sent down instead of ZM.

I guess your not grasping what I am saying. Or just disagree. Sometimes it is all about luck and timing. Just to be clear I am not saying in any way Isaac is an NHL level player. Was just foolish to not find out.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m not sure why the debate is being framed around MacEwen and Ratcliffe, who don’t play the same position, in a thread about a massively superior player in Laczynski. This team will f*** it up, per usual, so f*** me, right?

What are the positives of playing Zack at all?

The Jort industry will be booming.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't recall him getting hurt as didn't the go back down and play for the Phantoms? Either way he was sent down instead of ZM.

I guess your not grasping what I am saying. Or just disagree. Sometimes it is all about luck and timing. Just to be clear I am not saying in any way Isaac is an NHL level player. Was just foolish to not find out.
Are they supposed to give every AHLer extended NHL looks just to "see" if for some reason they excel in the NHL despite struggling in the AHL?

If Ratcliffe wanted a longer stay than 10 games, he should have played better in the AHL..

Like I said, MacEwen had 52 pts in 69 games in his 2nd AHL season. That's more than Ratcliffe accomplished in 3 AHL seasons. As far as I'm concerned, MacEwen has earned more at the professional level than Ratcliffe has.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Are they supposed to give every AHLer extended NHL looks just to "see" if for some reason they excel in the NHL despite struggling in the AHL?

If Ratcliffe wanted a longer stay than 10 games, he should have played better in the AHL..

Like I said, MacEwen had 52 pts in 69 games in his 2nd AHL season. That's more than Ratcliffe accomplished in 3 AHL seasons. As far as I'm concerned, MacEwen has earned more at the professional level than Ratcliffe has.
Where the Flyers were last season yes 100%; also didn't say every AHLer. Add to the fact he played well in those 10 games. It is about evaluation in a lost year seeing what you may have in the future.

Don't care what ZM had in the AHL. That is meaningless.

What was there to gain by still playing ZM?

Either way I hope and pray the 4th line is ND-Brown-ZM as it will make for a far more exciting times on these boards. Send all of Allison Isaac and Tanner down. Shit send Down Cates as well. Hopefully Chuck signs just 1 more irrelevant vet before the season.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Where the Flyers were last season yes 100%; also didn't say every AHLer. Add to the fact he played well in those 10 games. It is about evaluation in a lost year seeing what you may have in the future.

Either way I hope and pray the 4th line is ND-Brown-ZM as it will make for a far more exciting times on these boards. Send all of Allison Isaac and Tanner down. Shit send Down Cates as well. Hopefully Chuck signs just 1 more irrelevant vet before the season.

One more irrelevant vet would be a great addition.

They are going to go into this season with a belief that is possibly as far as possible away from mine as there is. Complete other end of the spectrum.

A horseshit belief that effort, overwhelming secondary depth, intangibles, and defensive systems can overcome pure talent to achieve something worthwhile.

I’m going to enjoy a group of men destroying what legacy they have left, enjoy seeing egos shattered, and an antiquated identity exposed for the fraud it is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd like to see Hodgson and Sandin start over MacEwen, of course, I'd rather see Allison stay healthy and start over all of them.
But going to LHV isn't exactly "exile to Siberia," the Flyers FO goes and watches those guys all the time.
While tearing up the AHL is no guarantee of success, not dominating at that level is a red flag.

I really want to see these guys in exhibition games playing in Torts' scheme - because they'll have to skate and make things happen - and I think it'll soon become apparent who is ready and who needs more seasoning and who just doesn't have the skating ability to keep up.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

He played a few pretty good games and tailed off like I've seen happen with about a million AHL call-ups over the course of my life.

You play MacEwen because nobody in the AHL is forcing you to play them instead. And at least MacEwen has had AHL success and was playing hard and sticking up for teammates every game in a difficult season. He couldn't finish to save his life, but he was at least one of their few noticeable players.

As an organization, you want to reward that type of effort, not bench it for someone who isn't bringing the same effort or any success in the minors.

And it's not that I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I just think that if you stink in the AHL then you don't deserve an extended look in the NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The idea that you play a terrible player because nobody "forced" you to play them is bad. Unfortunately, it's how the Flyers do work and it's a big reason why they're bad. They're content to keep playing bad players and they hate the idea of exploring better options among prospects.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, we've had prospects forced into action who turned out to be "terrible" as well. Some worse than MacEwen.
The object is to have some prospects actually be better players, not play them b/c they're on a prospect list.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The idea that you play a terrible player because nobody "forced" you to play them is bad. Unfortunately, it's how the Flyers do work and it's a big reason why they're bad. They're content to keep playing bad players and they hate the idea of exploring better options among prospects.

this is the sign that should hang over the flyers dressing room ^^^

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
....the kind of thinking that leads to signing 4th liners for 4 years. Or signing 3rd pairing Dman and GUARANTEEING them they won't be scratched.

Fletch's way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This was the only Laczynski thread that showed up in search.

He's been out since 12/5/2022 with a leg injury. I think it's the knee this time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laczynski is running out of time, he hadn't shown much for two seasons due to injuries, finally regains his burst, then gets injured again.

The reason a MacEwen keeps a job (as well as Brown) is b/c players like Laczynski, who should start ahead of them, can't stay healthy. And a dinged up Laczynski isn't as good as MacEwen or Brown.

As soon as Allison got healthy, he jumped ahead of MacEwen.

Foerster and Brink are more talented than MacEwen, but Foerster just turned 21 and missed a lot of PT the last two seasons, a total of 33 AHL and 19 OHL games over that stretch, so over a full season of PT. Brink is coming back off hip surgery and his not nearly 100%, maybe by April he'll move well enough not to be NHL road kill.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Laczynski is running out of time, he hadn't shown much for two seasons due to injuries, finally regains his burst, then gets injured again.

The reason a MacEwen keeps a job (as well as Brown) is b/c players like Laczynski, who should start ahead of them, can't stay healthy. And a dinged up Laczynski isn't as good as MacEwen or Brown.

As soon as Allison got healthy, he jumped ahead of MacEwen.

Foerster and Brink are more talented than MacEwen, but Foerster just turned 21 and missed a lot of PT the last two seasons, a total of 33 AHL and 19 OHL games over that stretch, so over a full season of PT. Brink is coming back off hip surgery and his not nearly 100%, maybe by April he'll move well enough not to be NHL road kill.

MacEwen keeps a job because Fletcher wants players like him to have a job. He thinks they fit a vital role. Tortorella agrees.

Allison did not immediately jump ahead of MacEwen, either. With both MacEwen and Brown healthy, it's doubtful Laczynski touches NHL time no matter how he plays. That's how this org works.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacEwen keeps a job because Fletcher wants players like him to have a job. He thinks they fit a vital role. Tortorella agrees.

Allison did not immediately jump ahead of MacEwen, either. With both MacEwen and Brown healthy, it's doubtful Laczynski touches NHL time no matter how he plays. That's how this org works.
Allison played one game on the 4th line when he was activated, then immediately moved ahead of MacEwen to the third line.

Laczynski will go to the AHL b/c he's been out for a month, doubtful he's close to 100% when he returns.
You could see it when he played this year, was playing tenatively, not pushing it for a while, unfortunately just as he regained his burst and raised his game, he gets injured again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad