Player Discussion: Tanner Jeannot

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
The McD trade hasn't really panned out either, but part of that is what JBB did with the money he free d up.

Jeannot had a good first period - threw a big hit, screened the goalie on the first goal and got an assist. But then he went back to being not much of a factor.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What is the actual point of tradng for Jeannot and give him a raise for 2.665 million per year if he is going to fight people, hurt people with body, or score goals? It was the end of a lighnting era.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What is the actual point of tradng for Jeannot and give him a raise for 2.665 million per year if he is going to fight people, hurt people with body, or score goals? It was the end of a lighnting era.
I think the 2022 Cup Final loss was the end of the Cup era, as that felt like our last great shot considering we still had Palat and McDonagh. The 2022-23 season, we weren't true Cup contenders IMHO with the way we played in the 2023 calendar year and should have just value bought if the plan was to buy at the deadline.

BriseBois instead to not look at production models or have any common sense and decided to throw everything away for a player whose production had already fallen back to the relative expected range.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
7 goal / 7 assists / -10 on the year

Through 75 games with Tampa in the regular season, he has 8 goals, 10 assists, and got a few good fights under his belt. Cool.

We traded Vlad for Eyssimont who outproduced Tanner.
We signed Glendening for less who outproduced Tanner.

I really do not understand what happened here with this trade. As if pro scouts and Julien did 0 homework on him. Look at the season with Nashville highlight comp on YT of him. He had quite a few opportunistic goals. His skating has been the same since he got here. I see the same stride and lack of anything above average from him. Then you factor in what Brisebois paid and that was so unjustifiably dumb. The only way he is effective, cost aside, is if he brings an element to the team others cannot. He can fight, awesome. That does not win games. The games where he could have done something to plugs like Xhekaj, he did nothing. Instead, his low hockey IQ thought challenging Reaves in a game we were winning was good. We saw how that turned out. 2.65 million for a guy who does less of a job than Pat Maroon. I am puzzled at what or how this worked out from JBB and pro scouts. Truly astounding work from Julien on this.

There will undoubtedly be players in FA that outproduce him and will be signed for less. It happens every year. There was no reason for this trade a year ago, no reason to keep him going forward. None. He hits, but so do other players. The idea that he's this one of a kind unicorn that because he "leads the team in hits!1!!" and irreplaceable is bullshit. Sign a UFA to the 4th. Paquette used to lead the team in hits and he had sedimentary rock for a brain. He did jack shit against Florida.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Should’ve kept Maroon and all the picks lol.
Should've kept Bogosian and Maroon. Leadership from those two vets who played their roles was deeply missed. Two small moves like that bit us in the ass. Jeannot did not replace Maroon - at all. Dumba/Perbix with the minor league RD carousel were no better than Bogo. JBB didn't even have replacements for 4th line and depth players and fumbled those moves.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Should’ve kept Maroon and all the picks lol.
Yep. Should have kept Maroon, Perry, and Bogo before signing Sheary,Fleury,Dehann,or trading for Jeannot. Guy is useless for the team when he isn't punching someone with his fist. He isn't even a deterrent for the rat panthers to try to break kcherovs neck. Did anyone see Jeannot pummel Montour or a panther's player to answer for that? Did Jeannot send a message to the panthers, nhl, and refs after two questionable goals taken back and go pummel someone? No he did nothing.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Should've kept Bogosian and Maroon. Leadership from those two vets who played their roles was deeply missed. Two small moves like that bit us in the ass. Jeannot did not replace Maroon - at all. Dumba/Perbix with the minor league RD carousel were no better than Bogo. JBB didn't even have replacements for 4th line and depth players and fumbled those moves.

What if the coach don't like them? I mean who is the one to decide it, GM or coach? I always like Shenn and the coach never use him, he show can play in the league, perfect season last year with Vancouver, decent season with Predators and here he always was the 7th D. Shenn was more serviceable than Bogo but Cooper kill him. We lost all the toughness and physical play, those stupid Cats do what they want with us.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What if the coach don't like them? I mean who is the one to decide it, GM or coach? I always like Shenn and the coach never use him, he show can play in the league, perfect season last year with Vancouver, decent season with Predators and here he always was the 7th D. Shenn was more serviceable than Bogo but Cooper kill him. We lost all the toughness and physical play, those stupid Cats do what they want with us.
Jeannot didn't stop them or deter them is the issue.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Jeannot didn't stop them or deter them is the issue.
I don't care TJ, I defend the situation of a player who play 7/8 minutes, one day is scratch, one day play PP, the other in 4th line and people pretend was the only one to send a message. I don't know, we lost a lot of key pieces to blame only one. I wish he can be dealt and have a great season in other team. Too much debate here for him thanks to the GM.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I don't care TJ, I defend the situation of a player who play 7/8 minutes, one day is scratch, one day play PP, the other in 4th line and people pretend was the only one to send a message. I don't know, we lost a lot of key pieces to blame only one. I wish he can be dealt and have a great season in other team. Too much debate here for him thanks to the GM.
If we used those assets to trade for a top 4 defenseman or actually top 6 winger we would be a much better team. Also he is a complete waste of 2.665 million salary. Watson makes 725k and brought more to the team for less than 1/3 the cost.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It's nothing personal on the player himself, just the bone head decision to cripple the team for him. He's not working in Tampa. It's time to cut their losses and move on, we have bigger needs for his cap.

It was a dumb overpayment then and looking back at it now makes it even worse.

JBB needs a shorter leash this season, hopefully Vinnik sees the trend he's putting the team on now

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not going to happen, but we could trade for our 1st round pick back from Nashville and then go all in on a rebuild.

Of course, their GM isn't an idiot and will demand actual quality in return.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it just me or is this trade just continuing to hurt us? I'm just thinking, how do you improve a team without assets? And then you look to where 5 assets went. Granted, they weren't all overly valuable, but it's not like we need another Kucherov or Point. We need to fill out the bottom six with quality NHLers.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if we'd been drafting well for the past 3 or 4 years, but we really don't have any sure-fire impact players on the way up.

This trade might really be the one we look at if it comes time to part ways with JBB. We seriously just handed over five assets and more/less for free.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Is it just me or is this trade just continuing to hurt us? I'm just thinking, how do you improve a team without assets? And then you look to where 5 assets went. Granted, they weren't all overly valuable, but it's not like we need another Kucherov or Point. We need to fill out the bottom six with quality NHLers.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if we'd been drafting well for the past 3 or 4 years, but we really don't have any sure-fire impact players on the way up.

This trade might really be the one we look at if it comes time to part ways with JBB. We seriously just handed over five assets and more/less for free.
I mentioned this at the deadline. This is the biggest gaffe looming over JBB because he handcuffed us at the TDL this year. We had nothing to give up to solidify a weak spot. These are the kind of moves that get GMs canned. Another one of these, to this magnitude, and he absolutely has to go. I would expect him to be conservative to offset this bullshittery, but it's too late for that. 75 regular season games in, the player is nothing more than a UFA minimum league signing. The assets are gone. At the expense of five picks and 2.65M on the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad