Tanner Glass

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I find it funny that some of the posters on here dismissing Glass's contributions as " a couple of preseason games" are the same ones crowning Duclair Calder winner after the same " preseason games".

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I find it funny that some of the posters on here dismissing Glass's contributions as " a couple of preseason games" are the same ones crowning Duclair Calder winner after the same " preseason games".

I agree with all and the great username.

Personally, Glass is starting to win me over because of his preseason efforts thus far.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
He's been very solid.

Typically, the hate was overblown gasbaggery.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Do we have a six year NHL career to judge Duclair on and he's almost 31 and not likely to improve? Nope. Do you have to add Glass' career BCHL and NCAA goal totals together for him to have more than Duclair posted in juniors last year? Yep. Has Duclair played far better than Glass could ever dream of playing in this pre-season? Yep. Gee, I can't imagine why Duclair's training camp hold more weight than Glass' does.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Do we have a six year NHL career to judge Duclair on and he's almost 31 and not likely to improve? Nope. Do you have to add Glass' career BCHL and NCAA goal totals together for him to have more than Duclair posted in juniors last year? Yep. Has Duclair played far better than Glass could ever dream of playing in this pre-season? Yep. Gee, I can't imagine why Duclair's training camp hold more weight than Glass' does.
I don't know what age has to do with it, Marty St. Louis didn't break in the league until he was twenty-six and cut from Calgary. All I'm saying is that there is no reason to dismiss or disparage players that are here trying to succeed as New York Rangers!

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I don't know what age has to do with it, Marty St. Louis didn't break in the league until he was twenty-six and cut from Calgary. All I'm saying is that there is no reason to dismiss or disparage players that are here trying to succeed as New York Rangers!

Great point. People here should blindly anticipate the best from every player no matter how much evidence exists that says he'll fail. And then if he fails, he should be praised by everyone for trying his best.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Great point. People here should blindly anticipate the best from every player no matter how much evidence exists that says he'll fail. And then if he fails, he should be praised by everyone for trying his best.

Right, that's what I said. I'll try to be more clear so that you can understand my point. The over the top hype AND criticism of players is ridiculous!

Last edited:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

It's called an aging curve. Glass has been awful his whole career. He's 31 now. To think the pre-season is a signal that he's suddenly become a legitimate player is ridiculous.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
It's called an aging curve. Glass has been awful his whole career. He's 31 now. To think the pre-season is a signal that he's suddenly become a legitimate player is ridiculous.

You're right. Cut him, he's garbage. While were at it, might as well cut Malone, Stempniak, and Lombardi.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Which posters, specifically?

If Duclair had six seasons of NHL play to judge him on, we'd probably use that.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Pouliot played in whatever number of teams he did before coming here and playing like a legitimate player. Dom Moore hadn't played hockey in a year before coming back to the Rangers and look at how he's done. They turned out alright and while I understand 95% of project signings don't pan out, I'm pulling for Glass to play well (and I think he has played as a serviceable 4th liner) since he is signed here for the next 3 years. Glass has been in the NHL for 5-6 seasons now, what about him isn't a "legitimate" thing? He was sent down once at the beginning of his career and never went back so I'm not seeing how he's not worthy of being in the NHL/this Rangers squad because he's done developing.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Pouliot played in whatever number of teams he did before coming here and playing like a legitimate player. Dom Moore hadn't played hockey in a year before coming back to the Rangers and look at how he's done. They turned out alright and while I understand 95% of project signings don't pan out, I'm pulling for Glass to play well (and I think he has played as a serviceable 4th liner) since he is signed here for the next 3 years. Glass has been in the NHL for 5-6 seasons now, what about him isn't a "legitimate" thing? He was sent down once at the beginning of his career and never went back so I'm not seeing how he's not worthy of being in the NHL/this Rangers squad because he's done developing.

Stralman was pretty much the same deal.

Sometimes questionable players find the right team at the right time and become serviceable or better there. I don't see the point of making a final judgement on Glass either way before the season has even begun.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
None of those comparisons made sense. Pouliot was a very good player for several years before coming here. The Stanley Cup run just helped him get noticed. Dominic Moore was the same player before the year off that he is now. I'm not talking about maintaining your level of play. I'm talking about making a significant jump. Stralman was 25 when we got him. How is a guy in his mid-twenties establishing himself in any way analogous to a 31-year-old doing so?

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
The same people who seem to think that Benoit Pouliot mysteriously was "bad" before becoming "good" with the Rangers are the same ones who seem to be blowing off the fact that Tanner Glass is being dismissed because of his disgusting Corsi. Not very surprising.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All I'm saying is that if he plays in the regular season the way he has in the preseason, I'm more than happy with him having a fourth line spot regardless of what his possession numbers shake out to be, and regardless of how bad he may have been on other teams. If he doesn't play well, send him down, trade him whatever.

God forbid we wait to see if someone continues their decent play before declaring them a failure.

Masking negative predictions as facts worked out so well for so many posters last season. I can see why so many people want to do it again at the start of this year.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The same people who seem to think that Benoit Pouliot mysteriously was "bad" before becoming "good" with the Rangers are the same ones who seem to be blowing off the fact that Tanner Glass is being dismissed because of his disgusting Corsi. Not very surprising.

Tanner Glass couldn't get into a Pittsburgh lineup that was drowning for depth when we faced them. That should tell you something about his level of play. While corsi isn't perfect, Glass isn't in the lousy Kevin Klein range. He posted the third worst corsi of any forward who played at least 500 even strength minutes last year. Something is wrong if the opposition is managing more than 60 percent of the shots while you're out there.

BarbaraAlphanse

Tanner Glass couldn't get into a Pittsburgh lineup that was drowning for depth when we faced them. That should tell you something about his level of play. While corsi isn't perfect, Glass isn't in the lousy Kevin Klein range. He posted the third worst corsi of any forward who played at least 500 even strength minutes last year. Something is wrong if the opposition is managing more than 60 percent of the shots while you're out there.

He has looked dominant in the role given to him.

Plays hard. Doesn't let up. Good at forechecking. Good along the boards. Sticks up for his team mates. Is actually intimidating. Plays heads up. Shoots the puck when he gets it. Doesn't lose it often.

I'm more than fine w/ him on our 4th line in the role that he is being given.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Stralman was pretty much the same deal.

Sometimes questionable players find the right team at the right time and become serviceable or better there. I don't see the point of making a final judgement on Glass either way before the season has even begun.

I like your posts. You're so often a voice of reason desperately needed to balance out the extremism and hyperbole that are standard here.

He's done well in the preseason. That's all I'm going to judge him on right now. What he does for us. Ten games into the season I'll have a stronger opinion, whichever way that leans. Just like with Stempniak, or Malone, or Lombardi. And just like with Stralman, and Pouliot, and Moore, and even Carcillo. They may not be directly comparable in terms of play history, but they're certainly comparable in that they're guys who were let go by other teams and/or disliked by various fan bases but then managed to be serviceable for us, and even impress enough to completely turn things around.

That's all there is to it atm really.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I like your posts. You're so often a voice of reason desperately needed to balance out the extremism and hyperbole that are standard here.

He's done well in the preseason. That's all I'm going to judge him on right now. What he does for us. Ten games into the season I'll have a stronger opinion, whichever way that leans. Just like with Stempniak, or Malone, or Lombardi. And just like with Stralman, and Pouliot, and Moore, and even Carcillo. They may not be directly comparable in terms of play history, but they're certainly comparable in that they're guys who were let go by other teams and/or disliked by various fan bases but then managed to be serviceable for us, and even impress enough to completely turn things around.

That's all there is to it atm really.
Although I'm not as articulate as some posters here, I try. This quote pretty much sums up the point I was trying to make, thank you.

AHB*

Obviously the regular season is a different animal but I have really liked what he has done in the pre-season and has absolutely earned his spot on this team.

I was shocked by some of his offensive instincts as well. He has been skating well and throws big hits.

I hope it continues to persist once the puck drops for real, but he has done nothing but good things thus far. If he plays like this in the regular season, I will gladly eat crow.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Glass in his designated role has looked fine and should be fine. Advanced stats aside, the problem with him is that you can't really move him up the line up for injuries but no matter that's why we have Hayes, Haggarty, fast and co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad