Confirmed with Link: Tanner Glass signs with Rangers for 3 years @ 1.45 million/season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Coooome on.... we have just a little bit more until we start a second thread on the Glass signing. It should certainly qualify for the most ridiculous mass thread we've ever had. There were many with a ridiculous OP, but on such a massive level, it's very rare. A signing of a 4th liner sparked so much anger.

Stay out of it then. Problem solved. Tah-Dah!

Glass being a poor signing is certainly more worthy of discussion than your countless posts pumping the tires on prospects.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This thread would be half the size if people didn't keep coming in and commenting on how long it is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Do you have some information that suggests he got a bigger offer?

The situation of the buyout and the circumstances that surround it depressed the offers he got. Those offers were below market. There are other forces at work there. Grabovski got about Ribeiros market value in a normal situation.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The situation of the buyout and the circumstances that surround it depressed the offers he got. Those offers were below market. There are other forces at work there. Grabovski got about Ribeiros market value in a normal situation.

Grabovski's four years younger and has a better all around game. Even without the substance abuse, I don't think Ribeiro reaches a $5 million AAV.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Grabovski's four years younger and has a better all around game. Even without the substance abuse, I don't think Ribeiro reaches a $5 million AAV.

Without the off ice stuff going on last season, Ribeiro puts up 60-70 points. He might not get the contract length Grabovski got, but he definitely would have gotten the salary.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He also got more than Heatley who with the Ducks will probably put up between 15 and 20 goals making 1M..

Atrocious signing.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Don't like this signing at all, but I can't really blame Sather for this one. This just reeks of AV, given his past history with Glass. If your coach, who just took you to a Stanley Cup Final in his first year, asks you to go out and sign someone, are you really going to bust his balls over a $1.5M player?

Glass may end up being terrible, but his contract is not going to cripple us.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't like this signing at all, but I can't really blame Sather for this one. This just reeks of AV, given his past history with Glass. If your coach, who just took you to a Stanley Cup Final in his first year, asks you to go out and sign someone, are you really going to bust his balls over a $1.5M player?

Glass may end up being terrible, but his contract is not going to cripple us.

The way its structured, it looks like Glass can be moved after next July 1st. To be frank I think Glass is in the press box or in HFD by mid season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The way its structured, it looks like Glass can be moved after next July 1st. To be frank I think Glass is in the press box or in HFD by mid season.

If glass can play exactly like Dorsett did, then there is no reason to even put him in Hartford. The bar isn't set very high for him.

PK, block shots, agitate, forecheck, pitch a goal or two in... Dorsett had 4 goals last year and 3 the year before that. His career high is 12 several years ago...

Everyone keeps thinking Glass will be replacing Boyle, but that's clearly not the case.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
If glass can play exactly like Dorsett did, then there is no reason to even put him in Hartford. The bar isn't set very high for him.

PK, block shots, agitate, forecheck, pitch a goal or two in... Dorsett had 4 goals last year and 3 the year before that. His career high is 12 several years ago...

Everyone keeps thinking Glass will be replacing Boyle, but that's clearly not the case.

Too bad that Glass can not play exactly like Dorsett did.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

No he isn't replacing Boyle, he is nowhere near the value of a Boyle. The guy has been a possession black hole for 3 years in a row. I don't put a lot of stock into nerd stats because a lot of it is usage, and the margins are thin in terms of their reflection.

But when a guy is consistently one of the league's worst then it is a clear sign that he sucks.

Take Jack Johnson for example. I wouldn't want him on my team under any circumstances, he fails both the eye test and the nerd stat tests. The same holds true for Glass.

I know his role is simple, and I know he is a more willing teammate than Dorsett. But he's bad, PIT was on national TV a lot, and I saw regional games. He's a guy that needs sheltered minutes, and I don't think you can role 4 effective lines with players like that.

NYRCSKA*

Glass is a turnover machine. We should put him in the other team's jersey every night. The he will be able to complete a pass to a guy in blue.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Glass is a turnover machine. We should put him in the other team's jersey every night. The he will be able to complete a pass to a guy in blue.

on his stat sheet, he had 5 giveaways and 10 takeaways. Of course everyone will say that 5 giveaways is a lot because he was only able to handle the puck 3 times and he's so bad that twice he had a giveaway without even touching the puck, but a +5 in giveaways/takeaways isn't bad for your fourth liner. Also, he's a hit machine. OK, that in and of itself may be useless, but if he's fast and gets in on the forecheck, comes in hard and causes a turnover with the speedy Moore right behind him, you can see a tandem that may actually work well together, and depending on who that third guy is, if it's Lombardi, the fourth line may actually look good, if managed and coached properly, with a horrible Glass. He's scored goals, so he can shoot. He's assisted on goals, so he can pass. If the coach knows his limitations, and plays off his strengths and his linemates understand his strengths, then it may work. I hope he works out. Not because I want everyone to eat crow, it's because he is a Ranger and we need every little bit we can get. Us fans tasted the Stanley Cup too and are itching to be back. It's a long road back and I'd like to see this team get there, even with Tanner Glass. It's a curious signing, no doubt. It's horrible when you analyze it. No doubt. Let's just hope there's a play here in which it can work out, and if not, hope that someone steps up to play competent minutes on that line...and I think I'm glassed out!

Championship*

Has the season started yet? We get it already, everybody hates this guys guts. How much more of a beating is this dead horse gonna get?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
all this noise about the 12th forward is kinda funny

veterans who played a full year last year get better money than the guys with red flags, thats how the signings go, you see it all the time

injuries happen, and we'll need depth -
NYR've been relatively lucky the last couple years, regarding games missed due to injury, compared to say Detroit and Pitt last year, and Phila the last few.

This isn't a video game, and if we've got 6 or 7 or more of the top 18 skaters out at once, all the depth guys and prospects are needed to keep the team going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad