Player Discussion Tanner Glass...a BIG reason we're better...right? (Mod: not a bashing thread)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
And just to be clear I couldn't care less if it's Glass filling the spot, I'm just saying we need a few guys playing like glass does, Smith does, and Klein used to before he became a hipster.

So we need a few players that are huge net negatives, got it

Pumple and Pirri are in the same range of joke land that Glass is.

****ing lol

Have any statsters done a look-up of 4th line CF% since Tanner Glass has been re-introduced...and then compared it to the 4th line CF% pre-Glass?

No.

Feel free to do it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Have any statsters done a look-up of 4th line CF% since Tanner Glass has been re-introduced...and then compared it to the 4th line CF% pre-Glass?
Oscar Lindberg's 5 games BT (Before Tanner):
58.62 CF%

Oscar Lindberg's 5 games after The Tanner's recall:
43.68 CF%

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
No, but he gives 120% + effort each game and I like Glass for that.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
No, but he gives 120% + effort each game and I like Glass for that.

I like it, too...and was all for the call-up after watching us get beat up. But I wanted the team to become inspired and learn from Tanner's call-up, then move on. I don't want him to become a permanent presence. If he becomes permanent, our 4th line is effectively neutered in therms of Offense. I guess it's a case of "Be careful what you wish for, lest AV take it too far".

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I like it, too...and was all for the call-up after watching us get beat up. But I wanted the team to become inspired and learn from Tanner's call-up, then move on. I don't want him to become a permanent presence. If he becomes permanent, our 4th line is effectively neutered in therms of Offense. I guess it's a case of "Be careful what you wish for, lest AV take it too far".

So basically what the "don't bring Glass back" crowd was screaming the entire time he got recalled?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I believe most are aware of that who enjoy Glass style of play since players have unique way to perform in a game. Glass should not play over Fast for instant when he is back from injury.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
So basically what the "don't bring Glass back" crowd was screaming the entire time he got recalled?

We can't get too ahead of ourselves here. We need to wait for Fast to get healthy. That will put Glass in the Press Box. But yeah, 'll admit that I'm a tinge concerned that AV might find reasons to play Glass anyway.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Remember when we signed Paille, and everyone in the thread was like: "Stop freaking out, he's not going to play." and then he played in 12 games, and was terrible?

Did y'all really think AV was going to get his hands on Tanner and then NOT play him the rest of the season.

Guys. Guys. Come onnnnnnnnnnnn.

There are 16 games left in the season.

If Tanner Glass plays in 8 or less regular season games, OR ZERO playoff games, I'll donate $50 to the Amyloidosis Foundation (something close to home for me) and $50 to the ACLU.

I think I'm gonna be keeping my money.

I stand by it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This argument is unbearable. The other side are ignorant of stats and have no desire to understand them. There's nowhere to go from here.

Speaking of which, you should probably keep your mouth shut on a game to game basis. I think it'd help us all. You preach stats that are best utilized over a large sample size and then shoe horn them into a game by game analysis. Its tiresome.

The Rangers centers, who have largely been atrocious all season outside of Hayes, got run roughshod by a bunch of Tampa plugs down the middle. That is in large part why the Rangers lost that game, your Tanner Glass obsession not withstanding.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
But that's the point. You don't believe these things have that impact, and you also admit they aren't measurable. So how is that doing anything but putting an entirely unrealistic burden of proof on anyone who holds a differing point of view?

The burden of proof should always be on the side claiming A therefore B.

If you think the presence of Tanner makes the team better, and someone disagrees and says he doesn't because of X Y Z, you are the one who has to show that he does. Even if someone doesn't say that they disagree the burden of proof is still on you or others to prove what you believe is true. If the burden of proof seems unrealistic than maybe the claim is as well.

The players said so is not a very convincing argument since there is no way to show that what the players are suggesting is in fact true. That's not the say the presence of Tanner doesn't mean the players actually feel whatever it is he makes them feel. I believe that much, but I don't believe it translates in to anything which leads to success.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Seems like a lot of talk for a guy that is basically our 12th forward (right now) and will most likely become our 13th forward when Fast is healthy. There are very few if any people that want Glass to play a lot of minutes/games but its not like he replaced Crosby. I'm more concerned about our top 9 forwards and our defensemen than who is our 12th forward.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I think Glass's main way back in to the line-up once Fast is healthy is if Buch continues to get the J.T. treatment. Not only do we need to player a tougher, more inspired brand of hockey...but we need Buch to perform. That will keep Glass a scratch. If we play soft, and Buch doesn't bring it...Glass may stay somewhat regular.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I could live with it for a MAX of 950k. That way we can FULLY bury him in the AHL if he is not needed. Besides, Glass's presence makes for lively forum banter...something we all appreciate. :laugh:

I
I think HFBoards' affiliates are going to lobby for the Rangers to re-sign Glass.

But I'd be surprised if he commanded 950K this summer. I'd imagine he'd get a two-way deal with a modest AHL salary (150-200K), but I've been wrong about how much he'd command before. Oh golly, how I've been wrong before.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I think HFBoards' affiliates are going to lobby for the Rangers to re-sign Glass.

But I'd be surprised if he commanded 950K this summer. I'd imagine he'd get a two-way deal with a modest AHL salary (150-200K), but I've been wrong about how much he'd command before. Oh golly, how I've been wrong before.

If all it takes is a 2-way, then I'd definitely do it. If not for the locker room stuff he could provide our youngsters, then for the anticipation anxiety created on the forums for when he might get called up. :handclap:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Seems like a lot of talk for a guy that is basically our 12th forward (right now) and will most likely become our 13th forward when Fast is healthy. There are very few if any people that want Glass to play a lot of minutes/games but its not like he replaced Crosby. I'm more concerned about our top 9 forwards and our defensemen than who is our 12th forward.

Yep. Just like he'll most likely:

Spend all last year in the minors
Not play in the playoffs
Spend all this year in the minors
Be the 13th forward when Fast returns.

When it comes to AV and Glass, I'll believe it when I see it :)

EDIT - I'm not claiming that you specifically made these claims, but this is the HFNYR way with AV and Tanner.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
After this I'm going to have Glass PTSD until the day I die. I fully expect to be on my death bed and have someone whisper in my ear that Tanner Glass came out of retirement and will lace 'em up for the final game I ever watch.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Oscar Lindberg's 5 games BT (Before Tanner):
58.62 CF%

Oscar Lindberg's 5 games after The Tanner's recall:
43.68 CF%

I'd say its unfair to criticize Tanner Glass' 45 CF% considering its only a 5 game sample.

Then I remember that Glass is a 41 CF% player in his career.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Call up Hrivik, send down Puempel and have Pirri as the 13th forward in case of injury and/or if the PP or offense runs cold.

Hrivik-Lindberg-Fast were an elite possession line at 63%. They'll keep the puck in the offensive zone more than anyother assemblage of 4th liners we have. I think that trumps any intangibles from Glass and any firefower Pirri can provide on the PP at this point.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Call up Hrivik, send down Puempel and have Pirri as the 13th forward in case of injury and/or if the PP or offense runs cold.

Hrivik-Lindberg-Fast were an elite possession line at 63%. They'll keep the puck in the offensive zone more than anyother assemblage of 4th liners we have. I think that trumps any intangibles from Glass and any firefower Pirri can provide on the PP at this point.

That's the right line, but they won't do it. I'll be shocked if they do.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Having a good shot attempt percentage is great, but if you can't put the puck in the net at the NHL level, it doesn't really matter.

Would I rather have that fourth line than any fourth line with Glass on it? You betcha, but it's not the "optimal" fourth line with the Rangers current personnel, IMO. (73-24-19)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad