Player Discussion Tanner Glass...a BIG reason we're better...right? (Mod: not a bashing thread)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So, i've got this theory, and I'd like to either prove or disprove it with this writeup. I don't know what i'll find till i'm finished writing it.

My theory is this. A big reason that this team is better this year, is because of Tanner Glass...and how he's playing in Hartford, and not on the big club.

I'm also going to put Dominic Moore in that boat as well.

I've got a few difficulties with this assumption though...the first is that our 4th line has been incredibly difficult to lock down...it seems to change every game..so what ill do is to do a game by game analysis for this season, and more of an on the whole look for last season because its WAY too much work to look through 82 games (10 games is doable.)

Let's start with last season.

So i think most of us remember we had a somewhat of a carousel of characters as our 4th line...Tanner Glass and Moore were definitely 2 staples..but you also had Lindberg, Fasth, Paille, Megna, Hrivik, and Stalberg there as well. not to mention Emerson Etem..

So here's how I'm going to use this. I'm going to find the players whose 2 most common linemates (out of their top 4)(Forwards only) were Tanner Glass and Dominc Moore.

I'll then normalize the production of all the players as 1 line for 82 games.

It's not perfect, but its what im doing, so deal with it.

So you have our 4th line being some combination of this...
Tanner Glass
Dominic Moore
Viktor Stalberg
Daniel Paille
Marek Hrivik
Emerson Etem
Jared Stoll

Surprisingly Lindberg and Fasth didnt even qualify here, showing they both played likely over their heads...and i couldnt find Etem or Stoll because they were traded, on other teams and now had more most common linemates...i'm going to assume both played mostly on the 4th line going strictly off memory.

so those 5 players come out to the following total stats:

277 GP
20 G
29 A
49 P

If you were to assume your 4th line would play a total of 82 x 3 GP that comes out to 246 GP, and you'd normalize the stats to: 18G and 26A for 44 P..of course it is worth noting that a lot of this is artificially propped up by Stalberg putting up points on higher lines, but thats fine.

So, now we've looked at the rough production we got from our 4th line last year. Of course I'd love to go game by game here and look at what the 4th line did each game, but its way too much work...this was pretty quick and I'd wager the end result wouldn't be that far off of what we actually Got.

So next I'm going to look at all the GDTs and find the 4th lines for each game, and put up what they did.

One thing I did realize is that Grabner is listed as a 4th liner against the bolts and we know he was a 3rd liner, so i'll adjust for that game based on the GDT to not artificially inflate the numbers...

Here are the final numbers.

30GP
6G
4A
10P

to normalize that to 82 games it becomes
246 GP
49G
33A
82P

So just seeing it side by side from last year (top is last, bottom is this)

246GP 18G 26A 44P
246GP 49G 33A 82P

Again, its worth saying one more time that last seasons numbers arent super accurate because doing it game by game is really the only true way of seeing what production youre getting from your 4th line...

It's also worth saying that 10 games is not the same thing as 82 games...injuries happen, fill ins play, and production can ebb and flow.

But what's the entire point of this post?

Remember last season, when people like myself would constantly complain about Tanner Glass being in the lineup? And how many, many, MANY people would say...the 4th line is the least of our concerns...and how 1 4th liner doesnt make a big difference?

Stuff like that?

Yeah..no.

1 player...on 1 line can make a HUGE difference. Having a 4th line that can actually play hockey, score goals, and help your team is HUGE. when 1 player brings down an entire line, it needs to be discussed..and the head coach 100% needs to be held accountable.

Right now, I'm very happy with our 4th line. It doesnt always produce, but you ARE getting some production from them. even if its on the PP from Pirri firing a shot...or if its just Grabner getting an ENG. it's still production.

Goals are kinda important. Unless you have an elite possession 4th line like what we had with Boyle, Prust, and Dorsett that doesnt score much but plays in the other teams end the whole time...you need to get production out of your 4th line..it cant just be minutes you hold your breath. and yeah, that 1 guy on that 1 line...he can screw everything up sometimes.

/rant.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Cubs just won the World Series. We're 10 games into the season and we have a this is a good hockey team thread. Tanner Glass is the tied for the leading goal scorer in Hartford.

World's ending folks, it's been real.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The reason people said that the 4th line is the least of our problems is because we had bigger problems within our top 9 and on D.

There's also a chicken/egg issue. The Rangers are better because Glass isn't in the lineup, but Glass isn't in the lineup because the forwards are performing better. So what's the causality here?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's not a revolutionary idea, having 12 or more legitimate NHL level talented forwards was always going to lead to a better forward group, those who could all play a similar two way system.

And really it was not all that difficult for them to address. What was difficult? Getting rid of the archaic idea that a team needs to have role/intangible players beyond some guys who can PK.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Not to downplay the effect of a Glass-less Rangers, but we did also make major improvements to other areas of our offense.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
To me its as simple as having 12 forwards who can chip in at least something offensively. I literally couldn't care less about his toughness and defensive ability that AV thought he brought to the table. In this NHL you have to play with speed and have 4 lines who can chip in offensively, and not a 4th line with two guys to chip in and one offensive black hole. To me a 4th line has to be reliable defensively, and not a scoring line but it boils down to maximizing production from all 12 forwards, Tanner Glass playing didn't allow us to do that.

Also its not just Glass, the thought of Lapierre getting a shot here and possibly filling a 4th line spot would be the exact same thing.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I cant be the only one thinking Glass is a pretty class act when he has to go down to the AHL after being in the NHL for so long, and basically give it his all for the ahl team

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I cant be the only one thinking Glass is a pretty class act when he has to go down to the AHL after being in the NHL for so long, and basically give it his all for the ahl team
I don't think I've ever heard him be called classless, but I'm not sure there's another reasonable way to go about things for a player who has visions of having more of a playing career.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I don't think I've ever heard him be called classless, but I'm not sure there's another reasonable way to go about things for a player who has visions of having more of a playing career.

No thats true. Its just that he's received almost exclusively relentless bashing for being on this team since the day he was signed.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
We got younger...bigger and faster by adding ZIb-Pirri-Buch-Vesey and our PP is different as is our FO win percentage which means more puck possession and scoring chances . We have a GOOD mix up front...I would not mess with it for as long as possible unless we get offered a sweet deal on a Dman . Right now there is much less pressure on Stepan/Nash/Zucc/Kreider to produce . A skinny Hayes also has helped . I loved what Glass brought...but he should not have been in every single game to start with .

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
For the first time since 2014, a forward group with enough legitimate depth has been put together to force bad players out of the lineup. It's as simple as that. It always has been. Gorton did an incredible job retooling.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For the first time since 2014, a forward group with enough legitimate depth has been put together to force bad players out of the lineup. It's as simple as that. It always has been.
Life comes at you fast.

EMBvibB.png

IAuBJY2.png

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Yes I think not having the worst player in the NHL play 10 minutes per game has made the team better.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes I think not having the worst player in the NHL play 10 minutes per game has made the team better.

yeah, and my point in all this was the people who said it didnt matter or it was the "least of our concerns" are completely ignoring the impact having 1/4th of your lineup be useless means to a team.

i also think that there were better options than Glass.

Here's one...Dress 7 defenseman.

boom. problem solved. plus you can rotate McIlrath in games, and rest old man Boyle and old man Girardi.

blech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad