Player Discussion Tanner Glass...a BIG reason we're better...right? (Mod: not a bashing thread)

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Having a good shot attempt percentage is great, but if you can't put the puck in the net at the NHL level, it doesn't really matter.

Would I rather have that fourth line than any fourth line with Glass on it? You betcha, but it's not the "optimal" fourth line with the Rangers current personnel, IMO. (73-24-19)

How many NHL 4th lines regularly put the puck in the net, though? I think a Corsi dominant 4th line can sort of serve as a perfect placeholder for a team while it rests it's better lines. Also, Lindberg is a shoot first guy that has been playing better as of late, and Fast can be a pretty impressive passer. Throw a hard worker like Hrivik in the mix and I think that given time, they'd be a line that can both control possession and score. We'd have to give it a chance to work, though. No two games and done. Do it for a month and see what happens. Of course, this would have to be for next season. It's a little late for AV to introduce Hrivik to the line-up this season. AV is already set on Glass/Pirri/Pumps for that 4th line LW.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
How many NHL 4th lines regularly put the puck in the net, though? I think a Corsi dominant 4th line can sort of serve as a perfect placeholder for a team while it rests it's better lines. Also, Lindberg is a shoot first guy that has been playing better as of late, and Fast can be a pretty impressive passer. Throw a hard worker like Hrivik in the mix and I think that given time, they'd be a line that can both control possession and score. We'd have to give it a chance to work, though. No two games and done. Do it for a month and see what happens. Of course, this would have to be for next season. It's a little late for AV to introduce Hrivik to the line-up this season. AV is already set on Glass/Pirri/Pumps for that 4th line LW.

None, because it's hard to do that with 8-10 mins of 5v5 ice a night. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea to optimize your fourth-line to also be able to score. In the beginning of the season, when the Rangers fourth line hit the ice, I was expecting productivity. Now, when this iteration of the Rangers fourth line hits the ice, I'm grateful if they're not on for a goal against.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't mean it's a bad idea to optimize your fourth-line to also be able to score.
This is not Glas related, but it is also does not mean that it is a bad idea to optimize your 4th line do offer something different than goal scoring. Such as a physical play element, willingness to go into corners.
Now, when this iteration of the Rangers fourth line hits the ice, I'm grateful if they're not on for a goal against.
Again, just devil's advocate here, but they have not really been hemmed in their zone too much.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If last year taught me anything, the way to advance past skilled teams is to out hit them. Probably would have won game 5 if they played Glass.

Speaking of which, if coaching really thought Glass was giving the team the best chance to win, why was he scratched in an elimination game?

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I want to say that its just for a regular game so far and its not the end of the world.

I can feel how its going to turn out once the postseason rolls around though. :laugh:

mshckd.gif

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I wanted Glass in small doses. That's what I thought would happen. I didn't think it would go this far. I'm sad. :(

I'm sorry but how could you reasonably expect Glass to only be in small doses, seeing his career here? How?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm sorry but how could you reasonably expect Glass to only be in small doses, seeing his career here? How?

The fact that he was buried in the AHL for most of the season. I figured AV knew that Glass was for the most part ineffective at hockey, and only brought him up for a temporary, specific need. You know...small doses to motivate the guys to hit and stand up for each other. I didn't think AV would go from one extreme (AHL) to another extreme (full-time NHL) in the blink of an eye. I thought AV was reasonable. :dunno:

EDIT: And don't be too hard on me here. I'm admitting I was wrong. I really thought my thought process was reasonable and that AV would do something along the lines of what I was initially thinking. I never imagined, lol...

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Having a good shot attempt percentage is great, but if you can't put the puck in the net at the NHL level, it doesn't really matter.

Would I rather have that fourth line than any fourth line with Glass on it? You betcha, but it's not the "optimal" fourth line with the Rangers current personnel, IMO. (73-24-19)

Pirri scored 3 ES goals in 530 ES minutes. Have to think Hrivik would get at least goal or two getting those minutes. Yeah, 8-10 minutes is not going to get you many goals, many scoring chances so you may rather play someone capable of pushing the play the right way regularly there instead of playing the guy who has 3 good moments and is meh most of the time.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
And I disagree with the opinion that Hrivik cannot score in NHL. Stepan went 20 games without scoring getting big minutes playing with probably 2 best Rangers forwards, MZA and Kreider. Hrivik did not get much ice time, did not get regular linemates, once he settled in and his line was really good, Vigneault broke them. I may be wrong here and Hrivik really cannot score goals in NHL, but I really do not think it is a given.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I honestly figured you & the guys who predicted this were just fans of hyperbole and really didn't believe yourselves deep down inside.

seriously?

I cant believe that people are surprised....honestly if we acquired Ovechkin or something I bet you Lindberg or Vesey would come out before Glass.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
seriously?

I cant believe that people are surprised....honestly if we acquired Ovechkin or something I bet you Lindberg or Vesey would come out before Glass.

If he hadn't scored that goal AV might just have gone right to benching Ovechkin over Glass, to be honest.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was looking back at this subject to see who predicted it, and a number of people actually predicted this like a year or two back. And nearly everyone knew this was happening once Fast returned.

Its sad that this coach is so predictable with terrible moves. It would be one thing if this guy made one bad decision once, and it was so uncharacteristic. Nope, everyone knew this was coming, AV has a track record.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I was looking back at this subject to see who predicted it, and a number of people actually predicted this like a year or two back. And nearly everyone knew this was happening once Fast returned.

Its sad that this coach is so predictable with terrible moves. It would be one thing if this guy made one bad decision once, and it was so uncharacteristic. Nope, everyone knew this was coming, AV has a track record.

It was pretty obvious

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lDxLReljBvGm

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=128895685&postcount=50

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=128898305&postcount=125

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad