GDT: TankTown Express to Pittsburgh

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
These aren't the days when when we had an opposing team putting 40-50 sog and our goalie was getting rung for 5 goals. He gave up 4 goals on 17 shots. It's a trend. Not only that, but his antics put his backup and team at a further disadvantage. Throw all the advanced stats out there you want. Binny is a huge part of the problem.
The clothesline didn’t put us at disadvantage bc refs didn’t initially see it and had to overturn high stick call bc it wasn’t high stick. The misconduct didn’t put us at disadvantage either. He had already been pulled. Made him look like a clown but we weren’t shorthanded because of him.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
These aren't the days when when we had an opposing team putting 40-50 sog and our goalie was getting rung for 5 goals. He gave up 4 goals on 17 shots. It's a trend. Not only that, but his antics put his backup and team at a further disadvantage. Throw all the advanced stats out there you want. Binny is a huge part of the problem.
Binnington might be embarrassing at times, but he’s not the problem. There was one goal he should’ve had.

His outbursts are far deeper than anger issues. Anger is the result of deeper issues.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
What happened with Binnington and zucker? I didn't watch the game but was there some altercation?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I've not seen anyone say Jordan is the biggest problem. But he is a part of the problem. Pretty much every media source I've seen calls out binnington for being part of the problem, but you can't speak out against the sacred cow on here. Hell, even Berube called him out. Last year Binnington lost his job to the backup and keeps getting pulled this year. Binnington is not immune to criticism and .895 save percentage is unacceptable for a starting NHL goalie.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've not seen anyone say Jordan is the biggest problem. But he is a part of the problem. Pretty much every media source I've seen calls out binnington for being part of the problem, but you can't speak out against the sacred cow on here. Hell, even Berube called him out. Last year Binnington lost his job to the backup and keeps getting pulled this year. Binnington is not immune to criticism and .895 save percentage is unacceptable for a starting NHL goalie.
He's been one of the better players this season, but his mentality is not built for a team that struggles like this. Some antics can help fire a team up, but we are way past that. Antics won't just get the team fired up and back on track, and he needs to learn to just take losses on the chin.

Outsider checking in.

What’s going on with the Blues? Lots of talent
You know the slot area, where there are high-danger scoring chances and good teams defend well? We've decided to not defend it.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

He's been pulled twice. Most media sources don't watch the games but they do exactly what you're doing which is looking at stats and declaring a goalie issue.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I don't think that's fair. I think there's been criticism of Binnington this year - but it's hard to fault a guy who's currently third in xGA of any goalie who's played a minimum 300 minutes this year at 5v5. (The only two higher then him are John Gibson and Connor Hellybuck. Winnipeg is a paper tiger - Helly is basically keeping them afloat with a garbage D in front of him)

Long story short - yea, he could be doing more to help the team. But by god, when your starting goalie is supposed to give up the third most goals in the league at 5v5, how much of our struggles can you really pin on him? I don't like what he did last game, but I'd get frustrated too if my team was supposed to be good, and they kept hanging me out to dry time and time again.

When you look at underlying numbers like shot distance and High Danger shots against, he's in the top 5 for both at 5v5 (Which is bad). Same with rush chances against.

Plus - he's played the 6th most minutes of any goalie this year (Overall). Thanks to our team's struggles, plus Griess not really proving he can handle much more then the bottom of the league, Binner has played a lot to start the season.

The one area of criticism I think is very warranted is his play when we're on the PK. Our PK hasn't been good this year at all, but it's the one area where I think he needs to find a way to make a save or two to help the team a bit more. Our underlying numbers are much less worse on the PK then they are 5v5, yet he's actually worse on the PK then at 5v5.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This nightmare is a whole team issue, goaltending included.

When are you guys gonna realize that stats don't tell the whole story, especially when talking about goalies? Some of you take advanced stats as gospel it seems. Gretzky chastised Biz on TNT a few weeks back for using stats to judge goalies so if you disagree with me you're also disagreeing with The Great One.

Pretty much every goalie has ups and downs, so expecting a guy to dominate all the time is simply not realistic. And most of the time their success correlates with team success. Markstrom was the best goalie for the first few months of last year, this year he's one of the worst. Hell, even Vasy and Shesterkin are struggling this year. For those who think Binnington is a big problem, please suggest another goalie that you think would be significantly better.

As Gretzky said, a goalie just has to stop shots when it matters most and rise to the occasion in the playoffs. And if a team is sucking as much as we are, there isn't a goalie in the league that would change the outcome of most of these games.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Isn’t there a metric and stats for goalies based on game situation (score in a close game)? Seems like Binner has given up a lot of goals in garbage time this year. A handful of bad games can also balloon some of those goalie figures. I recall Husso getting blown out a couple times this year for DET but I think most Wings fans are pleased with him. If you just stat watched the GSAx would indicate Husso has sucked.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Isn’t there a metric and stats for goalies based on game situation (score in a close game)? Seems like Binner has given up a lot of goals in garbage time this year. A handful of bad games can also balloon some of those goalie figures. I recall Husso getting blown out a couple times this year for DET but I think most Wings fans are pleased with him. If you just stat watched the GSAx would indicate Husso has sucked.
Natural Stat Trick doesn't have a 5v5 close option, but there's probably something out there. By the numbers, during 5v5, Binnington is not the problem. He isn't his true best form where he's letting in less than the expected amount, but his 5v5 against are basically even with the expected against. The big issue for him is the PK, where he's genuinely been poor, and it's made even worse with a PK that is not performing up to par either.

When a season starts to get lost, it's easy to think the entire thing is broken, but it's probably important to look at things, one piece at a time. We have to fix the PK. It should be something we can fix with hard work and attention to detail, and the poor PK can just be a momentum killer in games. You can't turn the season around with it, but it can be that first step on that path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad