GDT: TankTown Express, Home Port vs the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Not sure if you're serious, but no we don't.

There is no way that one single player is that much of a difference maker.
He's the one difference from last year and might have been a major driving force in ways we have no idea about. He doesn't need to show it statistically. It could also be that he was allowed to walk in a starting to be a long line of that and the players in general have started actually hating to play there and that sentiment has spread. If that's the case, the pool is going to be poisoned pretty quick and we may not have a choice but to totally blow it up... the problem is that's not going to happen. Army can't allow that and neither will Stillman.

I blame Army because he has done nothing to this point to try and alleviate the situation.

I think it's hilarious that Binnington gets heat because of his stats but is absolutely dead-on right about the situation. I couldn't goaltend on a team like this, a team who obviously doesn't trust one another and may not even like one another much. There's no cohesion and there's no unity. It's just a box of parts that don't assemble an engine. You can't blame coaching because there's not enough parts to build something that will run and you can't blame aspects of it for not working like it should; it's a team.

The team doesn't work. Simple as that.

And from a contract standpoint it won't work. Those players who have long contracts are basically the core we have moving forward. There is no rebuild. This is it.

Reactions: BlueKnight

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
There's only one player on this team playing to his expectations. And there's two playing above expectations.

Wanna take a stab at who I'm talking about?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He's the one difference from last year and might have been a major driving force in ways we have no idea about. He doesn't need to show it statistically. It could also be that he was allowed to walk in a starting to be a long line of that and the players in general have started actually hating to play there and that sentiment has spread. If that's the case, the pool is going to be poisoned pretty quick and we may not have a choice but to totally blow it up... the problem is that's not going to happen. Army can't allow that and neither will Stillman.

I blame Army because he has done nothing to this point to try and alleviate the situation.

I think it's hilarious that Binnington gets heat because of his stats but is absolutely dead-on right about the situation. I couldn't goaltend on a team like this, a team who obviously doesn't trust one another and may not even like one another much. There's no cohesion and there's no unity. It's just a box of parts that don't assemble an engine. You can't blame coaching because there's not enough parts to build something that will run and you can't blame aspects of it for not working like it should; it's a team.

And from a contract standpoint it won't work. Those players who have long contracts are basically the core we have moving forward. There is no rebuild. This is it.
So, Perron "leaves" and we are this bad?

Does not make any sense at all.

One guy. One single player.

There is a much deeper problem and it's not the GM. The lengthy contracts to a few players are not the problem this season.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Bozak.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
So, Perron "leaves" and we are this bad?

Does not make any sense at all.

One guy. One single player.

There is a much deeper problem and it's not the GM. The lengthy contracts to a few players are not the problem this season.
You obviously stopped reading my post at Perron.

Blaming Armstrong for the mess of this season is beyond stupid.
Who signs the players and coaches again?

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Idk what's more boring. This or The Game Awards

I liked the Game Awards. This game...ughhh.

To be fair in terms of the game awards, I've been waiting for information on Ken Levine's (writer/director of Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite) new game for 8+ years, so it was all gravy after that. But add to that Hades 2, Extremely OK games new one (Celeste dev), Jedi survivor footage, some interesting AA announcements and it was a good show for me. I could have done without the celebs who know nothing about games droning on, and Kratos actor's 20 minute acceptance speech, but overall a better show than most years.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Our roster would look much better- as it did last year- if guys were playing up to expectations. Defensive zone coverage and PK are atrocious, that isn't talent issue. Stupid drop passes and flubbing easy passes and blowing assignments, that isn't roster construction issue. Flat COVID cap has caused lots of recent top teams to plug holes and try to get by; none of them are playing anywhere near as crappy as us.

The main differential between us is you seem to think the differential between last years team and this years team isn't mainly luck. There are certainly differences (Our special teams, specifically our Penalty Killing, sucks which does come down to coaching, as we had an elite special teams coach this year who is carrying his success over to Boston, and also the difference between Husso and Greiss in net), but the over arching thing still remains the same: This is a team who hasn't had a positive shot differential in 3 years after that being one of our defining main characteristics in our cup year. We've, in fact, been falling on shot differential each year since our cup victory (+259 in 18-19, +79 in 19-20, -48 in 20-21, -99 in 21-22, and -87 not even half way through this year), and that is usually the easiest way to follow if a team is actually, you know, good. We went from a 5 on 5 powerhouse in our heyday to a team that was just kept alive by our special teams last year, and now that it's gone there is no hiding that THIS, what we are watching now, is reality. Opposing Goalies aren't allowing a goal on every 8 shots like they did last year. That was never going to happen again. The question was could we keep our shooting percentage near the top of the league (It's middle of the pack right now at a flat 90% last I checked), while hopefully improving our possession numbers (Which has proven to be a big fat no). Add in a massive downgrade in net, and here we are.

Also, you know the difference between other "Recent Top Teams" and us? High End Talent. Basically, Tampa can stay on top because they let depth players walk and kept there top end players like Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, and Hedman. Boston can still be a top team because they still have Pastarnak, Bergeron, and Marchand. Toronto can stay near the top because of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. Pittsburgh can stay relevant because they still have Crosby and Malkin. Vegas positioned themselves by being super active and now are built around Eichel, Stone, Theadore, and Pietrangelo. Edmonton has been consistent because they have McDavid and Leo. We don't have players like that. The closest things we've had in the last 5 years are Petro who walked so we can save some money for Krug, O'Reilly who was always a slow skater and game is really getting hit hard now that it feels like he's slowing down even more, and Tarasenko. We paid Kyrou and Thomas because we had them hand picked as the guys to carry the torch, but there are both still flawed players whose weaknesses can at times take away from there strengths. Outside of those 2 (and Buch), the rest of our core is just old and getting worse. Almost all of them are either in there 30's or about to hit it, and none of our prospects have looked like they are taking spots outside of 4th line or bottom pair.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If by spicy you mean does guy who has been crappy for much of season whine about how his teammates are playing, then yes.

Binnington has not been crappy for much of the season, have you watched all of the games? He started the season on fire and looked as good as ever until the Blues horrible play ruined his psyche and his numbers. He kept us in a lot of games this year, but it's frustrating when you are left out to dry night after night. There hasn't been a single loss this year that I would hang on Binnington, though there were a few games early that he won almost singlehandedly. I would be pissed off too.

There's only one player on this team playing to his expectations. And there's two playing above expectations.

Wanna take a stab at who I'm talking about?

I'm gonna guess Rosen, Acciari and Buchnevich.....did I win? I would also argue Greiss has been ok.

Reactions: Punished ROR

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
No one's buying right now. Maybe except Colorado who doesn't have a center. But. Do we want to trade RoR or Barbashev to our Central Division rivals?
I'd trade either of them for the right price. We know we aren't doing anything or going anywhere this season. We're just biding time waiting for the TDL so teams will be willing to pay a premium. Trading in division does happen, and it usually tends to sweeten the pot for the selling team. The problem with selling right now is that the remaining cap load is transferred to the buying team. Most everyone is at the wall. I don't see any moves being made until February.

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Binnington has not been crappy for much of the season, have you watched all of the games? He started the season on fire and looked as good as ever until the Blues horrible play ruined his psyche and his numbers. He kept us in a lot of games this year, but it's frustrating when you are left out to dry night after night. There hasn't been a single loss this year that I would hang on Binnington, though there were a few games early that he won almost singlehandedly. I would be pissed off too.

I'm gonna guess Rosen, Acciari and Buchnevich.....did I win? I would also argue Greiss has been ok.
Yes. You win. Lol

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For what? Saying that coaching staff was doing great but players aren’t doing what he wants? Isn’t that part of coaching, to get team to play how you want?
He keeps saying in these post-game pressers that the team “didn’t come ready to play.” Isn’t that one of the most important responsibilities of the coaching staff, to have the team prepared to play?

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad