GDT: TankTown Express: Future Franchise HOFer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
A number of backdoor tap ins are from poor rebound control. And why does Thomas greiss who no one would accuse of being good at this point in his career have comparable stats if binnys so much better(i dont think greiss would necessarily keep it up over longer load)?

I heard the same excuses for Allen constantly. I realize advanced stats aren't perfect, but people also see what they want to see in regards to goaltender performance too.

The advance metrics also say binny isn't quite as bad as his sv% ranks, but if you want to say you can't trust them and he's way better, then you have to say same for greiss.

Our core also at start of year was fairly same as last year minus perron. Why did husso fair so much better if its impossible to perform well behind this defense(I realize husso came back to earth but he proved it is possible to win despite this defense unlike binny last year)

And binny being avg to below avg is actually in line with his career outside his rookie season. He still had a good defense with parayko the year after the Cup but put up around league average sv% (started above then cooled off and struggled til allen spelled him and he rebounded a little).

Year after he was around league avg sv%.

Bimny was paid solely on that rookie season.

If Greiss played the same number of games as Binnington his stats would be astonishingly bad. I also never said you can't trust advanced stats. I said using them is a bad idea, you have to be able to use context when looking at stats of any kind. Binny has always been an average goalie untill playoff time. He was paid for the playoffs, not for anything else. I'll also point out that last year Binny is doing ok until he got covid and it took him many months to recover. watching those games he always looked exhausted, getting up slowly etc. I will always stand by covid being his downfall last year. Husso only had 2 months of spectacular goaltending and the rest of the time he was slightly above average, his stats were carried by 2~ months of vezina level play. The playoffs we saw last year was the exact reason Binny got paid what he did. We got to see first hand the difference between a playoff performer and a regular season goalie. Also Binny is not a 70 start a year work horse like the Blues try to use him as. he would be much better served IMO as a 45-50 start goalie and I see no reason to run him into the ground during the regular season.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
but he is a horrible contract. I hated the contract at the time.
i'm sure you still hate it and i take it this is really your only point. i understand you can be dramatic about his stats and make a case in a vacuum, but night in and night out, he's not the primary problem or even one of them, so is it really about anything but how much he makes?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
i'm sure you still hate it and i take it this is really your only point. i understand you can be dramatic about his stats and make a case in a vacuum, but night in and night out, he's not the primary problem or even one of them, so is it really about anything but how much he makes?
I get annoyed by how overrated and infallible some people act like he is with some people makeclaims like vasilevski or prime hasek would have a .890 sv% behind this defense which are ridiculous.

Obviously this is a flawed team and I think he's been overused and even the advanced stats support that he's not as bad as the raw sv%. I just want to live in realistic territory.

To be fair I will also respond against posts saying he's worst in the league and argue against them too.

Personally I don't care for his antics but that's irrelevant to his play.

From a hockey standpoint blues have no choice but to keep him. Trying to dump the contract is pointless and would hurt more than it would help and I do thinkbhe cam be more effective if he is more of a tandem or even a 1a than them trying to have him lead nhl in games this yearwhich was poor planning giving him an old backup who can't share the load. Especially coming off his worst season.

Hopefully hofer is able to step up and carry some load next year and they cam be a good tandem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I get annoyed by how overrated and infallible some people act like he is with some people makeclaims like vasilevski or prime hasek would have a .890 sv% behind this defense which are ridiculous.

Obviously this is a flawed team and I think he's been overused and even the advanced stats support that he's not as bad as the raw sv%. I just want to live in realistic territory.

To be fair I will also respond against posts saying he's worst in the league and argue against them too.

Personally I don't care for his antics but that's irrelevant to his play.

From a hockey standpoint blues have no choice but to keep him. Trying to dump the contract is pointless and would hurt more than it would help and I do thinkbhe cam be more effective if he is more of a tandem or even a 1a than them trying to have him lead nhl in games this yearwhich was poor planning giving him an old backup who can't share the load. Especially coming off his worst season.

Hopefully hofer is able to step up and carry some load next year and they cam be a good tandem.
Spot on! Well done, sir.

Last edited:

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
other teams do not allow the same break down nearly every game. Other teams have a coach that fixes the issue where as our coach seems to be causing the issue. using advanced stats to look at goalies is not a good idea. those stats do not account for the 100's of different reasons things can happens in a game. Screens, physical contact with the goalie, deflections, back door tap ins etc.

Advance stats shows that Binny has faced more high "percentage" shots then any other goalie in the league, besides John Gibson.
I think its important to add, because the dude is not only getting peppered, he is getting peppered with quality shots from high percentage spots.

That's not on the goalie, that on the team in front of him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Advance stats shows that Binny has faced more high "percentage" shots then any other goalie in the league, besides John Gibson.
I think its important to add, because the dude is not only getting peppered, he is getting peppered with quality shots from high percentage spots.

That's not on the goalie, that on the team in front of him.
Okay but those stats show he's still been a below average goalie when that quality is accounted for. There can be more than 1 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad