GDT: Tanks @ Sens: Free hamburger Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
A fanbase who has accepted defeat and looking forward to a generational player. We'd be welcoming too, if that were us. I expect them to change their tune once they are on the upswing.

But seriously, I was in Buffalo this summer and their fans were great to chat with.

I think it will take several seasons for the Sabres to be good again. This is a crazy uber-tank. I hope it does not take as long as it might... For Sabres fans. Good fans. Despite being in our division I wish them well. I fear it all might backfire like crazy though. The notion of devoiding your team near completely of talent. Then betting on a problem child like Kane as you will by definition have the youngest core in the league for years? Seems an Oilers type fail. Not a Penguins type fail. But who knows?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We should all go back to those predictions that were made on the main boards about Ottawa before the season started and laugh at them.

Literally everyone had us as a bottom 5 team. :shakehead

BigBush*

We should all go back to those predictions that were made on the main boards about Ottawa before the season started and laugh at them.

Don't shake your head. Two weeks ago everyone on here did to

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't shake your head. Two weeks ago everyone on here did to

Nah, i always known the hamburlgar would come in and steal the spotlight. ;)

He is the hamburglar after all. He steals players hamburgers and eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then he gets in net and robs people of their goals. The puck is a hamburger to him. He gobbles them up one by one.

Praise the all mighty hamburglar.

Hamburglar is life. Go Hamburglar Go.

Last edited:

Trevor Lahey

Jul 16, 2009
ON
Didn't think Hammond was shakey at all. Bad goals happen, he boubced back. His streak cobitbues. Only letting in 2 goals a game gives the team a huge chance to win

I'm positive you meant 'continues' but congratulations, I think you made up a new word!

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cobitbues

:laugh:

I'm drunk as hell and almost had a stroke when I saw 'cobitbues' so I just had to google it.

On topic: YAY WIN! So happy these guys are giving us a reason to give a **** right now, I hope they can keep it up.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm glad we got the bloody 2 points but man this was Buffalo! ****!!!!!:amazed:

Okay let's take down the Flames on Sunday. Going to have to play a hell of a lot better or we'll get smoked. Calgary's on a roll!!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm happy Michalek is having a great second part of the season. He's always been a hard working player but to see him get some points is nice. Both top lines are working great at this point. Obviously Hoffman-Zibby-Ryan has been phenomenal but Michalek-Turris-Stone has been almost as good. Turris and Stone have been on fire and Michalek has been doing a good job. The way he's playing lately he deserves his 4M.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

Okay let's take down the Flames on Sunday. Going to have to play a hell of a lot better or we'll get smoked. Calgary's on a roll!!

Games against Buffalo, since I can remember have been hard fought games. Most ending in a 1 goal victory by either team. Doesnt matter how good either team is.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
That had all the makings of a textbook trap game.

Glad we got the 2 points, though it was more work than it should have been.

Hey now, coming back home after a highly emotional road trip and still manage to get two points is allllright with me.

Doesn't matter how we got 'em at all and who it was against.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Loving what Hammond has done, but if Anderson is ready then he needs to go on Sunday. Never mind riding the hot goalie, this is about playoffs now. If Cameron doesn't want to make the switch then Hammond needs to find a way to bow out on Sunday. Best thing for the Sens down the stretch is a hot, healthy Anderson. Get him back between the pipes.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey now, coming back home after a highly emotional road trip and still manage to get two points is allllright with me.

Doesn't matter how we got 'em at all and who it was against.

Hey, 2 points is 2 points, for sure. No argument there.

Just pointing out that these games are far more lose-able than at first glance (trap games, that is), and the boys did a good job settling down after a flukey and momentum-killing 1st period and getting to work.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it will take several seasons for the Sabres to be good again. This is a crazy uber-tank. I hope it does not take as long as it might... For Sabres fans. Good fans. Despite being in our division I wish them well. I fear it all might backfire like crazy though. The notion of devoiding your team near completely of talent. Then betting on a problem child like Kane as you will by definition have the youngest core in the league for years? Seems an Oilers type fail. Not a Penguins type fail. But who knows?

Funny thing is, I doubt any agent worth his salt would want any of his prime young clients walking into another "Oilers" type of situation.

They might not get that generational player they crave.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm glad the boys were able to pot a few goals. Bobby, Stone, and EK living up to their highest expectations offensively. Defensively, we were a bit cavalier. The excuse of it being an anti-climactic game vs. a tanking team, 1st home game after an exciting and exhausting road trip, etc. all apply. And they got the 2 points.

Move on. Sunday is a bigger test.

I love the goal-scoring chances that Puempel is getting. I guess his time up with the NHL club is almost up, according to what Murray said about rotating some of the Bingo boys through. Too bad, wish he'd pot one.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

If I recall correctly, most people had us as a bubble team, which we are. I think some posters would rather that we were a bottom 5 team for the potential draft pick, but Ottawa is just better than that.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
So many guys have looked so much better under Cameron. It's crazy.

Michalek looks like a totally different player out there.

WhiteLight*

Putting it lightly: this winning streak is proof that we don't need guys like Phillips and Neil in the lineup.

Saying what I really mean: this winning streak is proof that we can't afford to have guys like Phillips and Neil in the lineup, it hurts the team too much.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Putting it lightly: this winning streak is proof that we don't need guys like Phillips and Neil in the lineup.

Saying what I really mean: this winning streak is proof that we can't afford to have guys like Phillips and Neil in the lineup, it hurts the team too much.

Meh, I don't think there's a massive difference between Neil and a guy like Chiasson, at least as far as their effectiveness on the 4th line is concerned. Maybe you get a bit more from Chiasson, but the difference between the two will never be the difference between a win and a loss.

I'm not saying I'm advocating for Neil over Chiasson, just saying that it's really inconsequential, and not worth worrying about.

As for Phillips, again, I think Boro is better, but the difference between Boro's 14 managed mins and Phillips's 14 managed mins isn't a massive deal. The problem with Phillips is that you need to worry that hell not be taking Boro's 14 minutes, but instead be taking 18-20+ on the 2nd pair.

I'd be intereated in seeing what each player's hockey VORP would be, if such a stat existed... and if it were at all reliable.

Last edited:

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010

Been saying that for 5 years. It is going to be interesting to see Cameron tell both those guys to stay away from the locker room (politely). What is funny is that they probably both believe that it is imperative that they both come back to carry the team the rest of the way. The team has moved on, in a very serendipitous way, finally.

NHL commentators have been grossly overvaluing their "leadership" contributions for years. Guys like Lazar, Karlsson, Hoffman, etc. have demonstrated that they are more than capable of leading themselves. They contribute absolutely nothing to this team.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

In all fairness, Buffalo will have good moments. I'm pretty sure buffalo has beaten Montreal 3 times this season.

But when I checked the score and Ottawa was down to goals l was pretty ticked. I'm glad they fought back and got the much needed two points. Right now it's nice to see a team that is not giving up when down and fighting till the end.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

Phillips should be the odd man out and we can keep Methot, Cowen, Weir, and Boro on the left side. We need seven D regulars. Hope we can do something about Phillips' contract next season, he's the only one not getting better. Great guy but he's been passed by other guys in the organization and we're better most nights without him. He could be fine as a serviceable 6-7, but why would you keep him and lose one of the three younger, better, options? Nostalgia is not how you win.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I'm not saying I'm advocating for Neil over Chiasson, just saying that it's really inconsequential, and not worth worrying about.

As for Phillips, again, I think Boro is better, but the difference between Boro's 14 managed mins and Phillips's 14 managed mins isn't a massive deal.

Not true. Having them eating up any minutes hinders the growth of everyone else. They aren't inconsequential; they are destructive.

WhiteLight*

Meh, I don't think there's a massive difference between Neil and a guy like Chiasson, at least as far as their effectiveness on the 4th line is concerned. Maybe you get a bit more from Chiasson, but the difference between the two will never be the difference between a win and a loss.

As for Phillips, again, I think Boro is better, but the difference between Boro's 14 managed mins and Phillips's 14 managed mins isn't a massive deal. The problem with Phillips is that you need to worry that hell not be taking Boro's 14 minutes, but instead be taking 18-20+ on the 2nd pair.

I'd be intereated in seeing what each player's hockey VORP would be, if such a stat existed.

I see what you're saying, but I guess the point of my post was that, even if the difference seems inconsequential, I don't think it is.

Boro is just solid in the role he's playing. Chiasson has an element of skill that Neil doesn't have obviously.

When you have just 1 defenseman and 1 forward on your team that are black holes that makes things die and who can't move around the ice properly, it makes a huge difference. Just my opinion

No weak links = no weaknesses. A chain is no stronger than its weakest link

WhiteLight*

Phillips should be the odd man out and we can keep Methot, Cowen, Weir, and Boro on the left side. We need seven D regulars. Hope we can do something about Phillips' contract next season, he's the only one not getting better. Great guy but he's been passed by other guys in the organization and we're better most nights without him. He could be fine as a serviceable 6-7, but why would you keep him and lose one of the three younger, better, options? Nostalgia is not how you win.

Yeah I don't know what's in the plans for Phillips' contract. Painted into quite the corner

Not true. Having them eating up any minutes hinders the growth of everyone else. They aren't inconsequential; they are destructive.

yes

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Really liked Hoffman's game last night. This guy has so much confidence with the puck. Starting to make some really nice passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad