Tanking vs Winning thread

Team Tank or Team Wins?

• Total voters

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
It will be interesting what they do on the back end with only 4 current dDmen signed for next season and with Nilsson.

Edler will be top priority and Hutton as well. Do they even bother with MDZ or Pouliot though?

Have to go after some defencemen, for sure. A top-4 RHD and some depth, too. They won't re-sign Del Zotto. Pouliot might get a QO. Hughes will likely get an audition at the end of the season and what he shows might affect what they decide to do in the summer as far as short-term needs are concerned.

Really need to shore up the RHD; when Tanev is injured, we're in serious trouble on that side and who knows if he will even be here after next season. Jets have been living in salary cap bliss thanks to big ELC performances from Connor and Laine but that comes to a crashing halt this summer; they can't afford to pay everyone and thus Tyler Myers is probably going to be a guy that signs elsewhere. We could use him for sure and his position and size would make Gudbranson seem like less of a necessity to the Canuck powers-that-be, i.e., tradeable.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm still on team tank for two main reasons.

One, the Canucks still need more elite talent at forward and defense if they're going to contend for the Cup during Horvat and Pettersson's primes. The best way to do that is through high picks in the draft... as long as Benning doesn't bungle his high first round picks the way he did in 2014 and 2016.

Two, continued failure seems to be the only way Benning gets fired. I just can't see the Canucks being able to build a contending team around Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson with Benning in charge. I want the Canucks to win the Cup, but I have no faith that will happen as long as Benning constructing the roster.

That being said, the Canucks are doing much better than I thought they would, due in large part to the play of the u23 contingent. It's a head vs. heart dilemma. My head knows it's bad when the young guns find a way to win, but my heart still cheers to see EP, BB, and BH light it up.

I think the Canucks will still miss the playoffs, but I've pretty much given up on the idea of the Canucks having decent odds in the draft lottery. My hope now is that they somehow manage to do what Philadelphia did in 2017 and nab the 2nd overall pick while flirting with a WC spot.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I just hope the canucks stay the course, and don’t trade any picks or prospects.

Common wisdom would indicate that the canucks need a couple more pieces to be contenders, but perhaps they can get those from unexpected places. If guys like Tyler Madden, Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Dahlin can be players for them they’ll have almost a whole stable full of young guns to work with.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We seem to be good enough to not be a bottom feeder any more, which i guess is good, but we really need to fix that blue line. What Benning does in this regard will be very defining for him, I’d like to see him snag at least one top end UFA defenseman.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Bit of both the need to get high draft picks is a no brainer but along comes Pettersson and this teams far better than any projections going into the season at this point .
Does EP attract more top end free agents to build depth around it has to help .
The other factor is the team has bought in to Green and work the system and most nights compete well and that's creating positive impact on the young players so even in losing the team is moving in the right direction .
Thoughts now they finish just outside looking in and may be better off sliding a few spots then again seems lottery luck has not given Vancouver any draft favors either so who knows if its worth shooting for lower finish.
Hope 2nd half is as entertain as most games so far have been.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The best thing for the franchise is probably to just miss the playoffs then win the lottery and draft Hughes. The second best option is to make the playoffs.

I say this because the Canucks are in playoff contention. If they are out of it anyways then you might as well increase those draft odds.

Personally, I do think winning is important and I want the Canucks to win. As much as Shanahan’s plan was lauded the Leafs didn’t spend years losing either. I think the Canucks can make the playoffs and continue to add players through the draft.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The best thing for the franchise is probably to just miss the playoffs then win the lottery and draft Hughes. The second best option is to make the playoffs.

I say this because the Canucks are in playoff contention. If they are out of it anyways then you might as well increase those draft odds.

Personally, I do think winning is important and I want the Canucks to win. As much as Shanahan’s plan was lauded the Leafs didn’t spend years losing either. I think the Canucks can make the playoffs and continue to add players through the draft.

That is because they didnt miss on 2 crucial high draft picks early on in their rebuild.

We would be sitting pretty if we got value for our picks in -14 & -16

lawrence

May 19, 2012
cup now! guarantees the cup right?

give me the Stanley cup then. poll is not clear btw, the options are cup now! or Hughes, if these are the 2 choices, it's quite obvious I take the guarantee cup.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Not in any universe would this team win a 7 game series against an actual playoff team.

There's about maybe 4-5 "actual playoff teams" in the West right now though...

So at least 2-3 other bubble teams like us have the possibility of being in the playoffs.

The only Western teams that this current incarnation of the Canucks doesn't have any hope against would be the actual Stanley Cup contenders in the Sharks, Jets and Predators.

If the Canucks don't get the Sharks in the divisional first round, it's not impossible. Just... very very unlikely. :dunno:

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad