Tanking Solution: The Nadezhda Cup

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I initially read this as the "Ahoura Mazda" Cup and was like well...if you want to cover yourselves in feathers and run around ceremoniously, sure? :naughty:

Seriously though, it won't happen. Teams out of it won't want to risk injuries and so on, just a lottery works fine at the moment.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The NHL lottery system has almost made "tanking" impossible. It just doesn't happen.

Generally when so called fans talk about tanking, it's just meaningless. Bad teams lose more than they win. How is that tanking?

I think the usual logic isn't that they're losing as much as they ought to lose, but they're deliberately dealing off their better assets to make their roster poorer expressly for the purpose of becoming more likely to lose than they would otherwise have been had there been no incentive to do that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I've always wondered (but expect most people would hate it) whether it could work if you set the following "gifted picks".

30th - 3rd OA
29th - 4th OA

Lottery: Rest non-playoff teams. However, perhaps the top 3 non-playoff teams should be excluded from the lottery for the remaining top 5?

Teams can tank for better picks in a rebuild, but they'll fight to keep from being the absolute worst two teams for a chance at the 1OA. This should help to promote more retool based rebuilds vs complete scorched earth and cratering of team rosters that we have witnessed in recent past. Teams that just "suck" still would get good players for a rebuild, but blatant cratering that risks damaging the NHL's image wouldn't be an issue (not that it really even is an issue now, IMO).

Now I know this idea might be hated because bubble teams sorta get screwed and also allows a lottery format for a very good team that randomly has an off year to statistically nab a top pick.

But this idea isn't good enough to replace the current system IMO.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I honestly just don't understand why so many people are upset about tanking.

Let a couple teams lose on purpose if they want. Who cares?

this. the shame of being the worst team in the league for a whole year is enough punishment for being the worst team in the league.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The league has already gutted the main incentive to tank - the Leafs were like 1 ping pong ball away from picking 4th overall.

I think the League's starting too nd the right balance between allowing bad teams to improve themselves via top picks, but not guaranteeing anyone a bottom 5 pick

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Doesn't make for interesting hockey and is difficult to sell tickets/get viewers...

You know what also doesn't make for interesting hockey and is difficult to sell tickets/get viewers?

Teams that suck without any intention for them to suck. Teams that try to win but still lose.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Doesn't make for interesting hockey and is difficult to sell tickets/get viewers...

I think the opposite is actually true.

How many Buffalo fans would have tuned in to their team 2 years ago without the McEichel sweepstakes? I'm going to go ahead and guess a lot less.

General hockey fans aren't going to tune in either way, because there is always a team more worth watching than whoever is in last.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You know what also doesn't make for interesting hockey and is difficult to sell tickets/get viewers?

Teams that suck without any intention for them to suck. Teams that try to win but still lose.

So making the team worse makes it even more interesting

That doesn't make any sense lol

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Jets ended on a winning streak, moving up a few spots, and still won 2OA.

So obviously karma takes care of things in the end.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Canucks sold zero assets, finished 28th in the league and picked 5th oa. They never tanked but because of this lottery they got ****ed. The Oilers multiple times got awarded 1st oa because of the lottery. It is fun for tv but ****s teams that need the help.

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
The new lottery is fine. The Leafs just happened to get very lucky in getting the 1OA pick the first year it was used. I certainly wouldn't bet on last place picking 1st again next year.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So the best of the worst gets the 1 overall and the worst of the worst continues to suffer. Great!

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
When Russian Presidents are doing it ...

f04da2db14490fd5519902.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The first reason that comes to mind as to why this is a bad idea is because you don't want teams who just barely missed the playoffs to get the first overall most years. The second one is that the players would have very little motivation to play hard, because players don't give a damn about their draft position.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Lottery is good.

I wish they'd add a stipulation that you can't have multiple 1st OAs in a ~5 year period, something like that.

So the Leafs, my team, just won the 1st OA last year. They shouldn't even be eligible for another one until ~2021. Plenty of teams could use the help (both from a hockey perspective, but also a marketing perspective).

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
I'm sorry to tell you that Nadezhda Cup drew very little fan interest, was a huge financial failure and is long cancelled.

This is true but the KHL draft is pretty meaningless anyway so it didn't really feel like they were playing for anything. NHL teams on the other hand would at least want to compete to get better picks. Probably not a great idea anyway though.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The idea of playoffs at the top level is 100x worse than relegation

So you would rather see your AHL affiliate win the Calder cup and join the NHL, instantly taking away all of your team's top prospects rather than having the bottom NHL teams play for the #1 OA pick?

You do understand that if the NHL relegated 2 teams every year guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH, Nurse, Rielly, JvR, Kadri, Gardiner, and Phaneuf would all be playing in the AHL and their games wouldn't even be televised.

Both ideas are terrible but relegation in the NHL is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad