Tank Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I agree that this team has been concerning.

- Pacioretty being such a perimeter player, no hustle
- Subban not standing on his skates, no swagger
- Desharnais forcing the play, so painfully obvious, no creativity
- And Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Gallagher hitting a slump at the same time.

Let's be patient.

I honestly think you can't plan tanking, despite what people think. Who expected to tank in 2012?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The paper roster would indicate we have a good deep team.
The empirical results indicate that for every 2 bad periods, we have one good period.

Needless to say, there will be more games with 3 bad periods than those with three good periods.

We are extremely dependent on Price to keep the game close during our periods of suck so we can even up the score during the explosive good periods we do have.

But in the long run, things "regress towards the mean", which means that we'll win a third of our games outright, leaving us with 54 points from "real wins". There's no ****ing way we're going to close the 40 or so point gap to make the playoffs by shootout wins and loser points, so until a radical change occurs within the team, I'm going to put my cards on the table and expect them to TANK this season.

And guess what, our ROW seems to indicate that we're right on pace for the 27 or 28 ROW this season. 5 ROWs in 14 games. I believe that pessimism is justified.

This is so embarrassing. Wow.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The paper roster would indicate we have a good deep team.
The empirical results indicate that for every 2 bad periods, we have one good period.

Needless to say, there will be more games with 3 bad periods than those with three good periods.

We are extremely dependent on Price to keep the game close during our periods of suck so we can even up the score during the explosive good periods we do have.

But in the long run, things "regress towards the mean", which means that we'll win a third of our games outright, leaving us with 54 points from "real wins". There's no ****ing way we're going to close the 40 or so point gap to make the playoffs by shootout wins and loser points, so until a radical change occurs within the team, I'm going to put my cards on the table and expect them to TANK this season.

And guess what, our ROW seems to indicate that we're right on pace for the 27 or 28 ROW this season. 5 ROWs in 14 games. I believe that pessimism is justified.

Terrible post with terrible logic.

We won't be anywhere close to the bottom of the league this year

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
The OP isn't completely wrong. His math isn't sound, but if the team doesn't pick up its play big time we won't be close to getting a playoffs spot.

It's not like this is a good team that has merely had a few bad games. Aside from a couple decent games (there hasn't been a good one) the team has been terrible. Team +/- is generally a good indicator of the quality of a team. To be 9-4-1 with a -12 (I'm excluding shootout "goals" as they aren't actual goals that were scored during the games) goal differential is a strong indication of the team's good record being a complete fluke. Even bad teams can have winning streaks, especially if they manage to drag the opposition to shootouts. It just so happens that half of our wins have been in the shootout and most of the others have been due to third period comebacks... and you can only pull of so many of these.

The biggest problem is that there have been no indications of things getting any better. If anything, they've only gotten worse.

1st in the east? LETS TANK!!

We're third and a bunch of teams are creeping up on us. Don't get too comfortable, we're only five points up on the 21st place team in the league. A couple more weeks of bad play and we could be close to the bottom 10.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
OP, you craving for attention? It really is an idiotic thread.

We're third and a bunch of teams are creeping up on us. Don't get too comfortable, we're only five points up on the 21st place team in the league. A couple more weeks of bad play and we could be close to the bottom 10.
There's a world between being comfortable and ''tanking''. Everyone knows this team is playing like crap - but hey, they have a good record and there's still place for optimism. I watched RDS yesterday and I couldn't believe how many observers like Savard or even Brunet were less dramatic about the situation that some posters over here.

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I'm already prepared to be wrong, but even then, I expect to be wrong in a specific manner. We could replicate the season in a manner similar to the Caps last season or make the playoffs like the Sharks in the lockout-shortened season. But the
Caps' results indicate the exception rather than the norm. Teams that finish with sub-30 ROWs typically end on the tanking side of results rather than in the "middle". Playoffs? Once in a blue moon.

I'm already prepared to be "wrong", but even so, if I am wrong, the results of the season will still involve the Habs looking from the outside in or a playoff bubble team at best.

It will be the performance in shootouts and overtime that will ultimately determine the difference between a tank-worthy season and a 9th place "stuck-in-neutral" finish. Or in other words, how much can Carey Price save the team during their horrible periods where the give up scoring chances like maniacs, ice the puck constantly, and do nothing in the offensive end.

I fully expect Therrien to be consistent, hence what is being fielded now is what will be seen in the future. If anything, his message will be tuned out even more and he doesn't seem to know how to plan an effective strategy. The latter is quite clear in that he hasn't changed the breakout strategy and our PP is a ****ing joke. I expect a downswing in the future.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
As I expected, mostly little flames, emotional knee-jerk responses, and the typical cliches thrown around in this thread. Oh well, at least three guys get a cookie for disagreeing in a sensible manner rather than through their spinal cord.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
OP, you craving for attention? It really is an idiotic thread.

There's a world between being comfortable and ''tanking''. Everyone knows this team is playing like crap - but hey, they have a good record and there's still place for optimism. I watched RDS yesterday and I couldn't believe how many observers like Savard or even Brunet were less dramatic about the situation that some posters over here.

Shootouts and getting garbage points are the reason we have such a good record. Or in other words, you are saying that Carey Price and the skills competition should be why fans should be "optimistic". This does not have any bearing the collective play of the five on the ice, which has been generally putrid.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Sorry, but by the responses in this thread and the general topic at hand... I have to close it. However, for your efforts and the fact that you remained respectful through all the negative comments, I offer you Jeremy Roenick disco dancing as a sign of grattitude.

hockey-dance-o.gif

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad