Tank scoreboard alert.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The take away for me is that good ownership, management, and coaching trumps high draft picks. Also, trading your first round pick can be a good strategy.

The Red Wings are an anomaly as much as the Oilers are. It's not realistic to expect every franchise to be managed that well. The NHL is very competitive, so any team restructuring and trading away their dead weight will probably fall out of playoff contention. That's just the way it is. And if you're going to bottom out, you may as well bottom out hard.

Ignoring the Oilers, there's teams like LA or Chicago that got that top pick and moved back out of the bottom (and on to cups in some cases). That's the purpose the draft serves in every major NA sport. The system works. You occasionally get some deadbeat teams that don't aspire to be good hanging around, but that's no reason to drastically overhaul the system.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't really buy this argument. One player, maybe Chipchura should be worried about this. Literally the entire rest of the team should try as hard as they can to get a great talent to play with them (under that other system - which I would fully support). Imagine how excited OEL, Domi, Duke, list goes on, would be to snag Matthews.

Gotta admit it's getting annoying having to cheer for loses because of the current structure logically demanding it.

I agree and actually don't think would be coward enough to not want to win/give his best effort for fear of losing his job. In fact, I'd be quite certain that anyone who's made it to this level is competitive enough (kind of an understatement), that they would have the attitude of "no kids' gonna take my job" and would work to that end.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree that players would not dog-it on purpose to weaken their draft position. I do think it's equally absurd that they'd play any harder simply to improve their draft position. I imagine the players play exactly has hard or not hard as they always would have regardless of any and all entry draft ramifications. They just don't care either way, IMO.

Shane Doan is an extremely rare exception that is so deeply invested that he actually considers these things. 98% of players don't give a rat's ass about the entry draft I would wager.

So my joke is no more or less sensible than Doan's proposal. There would be no measurable difference in team performance if the league were to adopt this.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Red Wings are an anomaly as much as the Oilers are. It's not realistic to expect every franchise to be managed that well. The NHL is very competitive, so any team restructuring and trading away their dead weight will probably fall out of playoff contention. That's just the way it is. And if you're going to bottom out, you may as well bottom out hard.

Ignoring the Oilers, there's teams like LA or Chicago that got that top pick and moved back out of the bottom (and on to cups in some cases). That's the purpose the draft serves in every major NA sport. The system works. You occasionally get some deadbeat teams that don't aspire to be good hanging around, but that's no reason to drastically overhaul the system.

I completely agree. I think the current lottery format is a good one.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree that players would not dog-it on purpose to weaken their draft position. I do think it's equally absurd that they'd play any harder simply to improve their draft position. I imagine the players play exactly has hard or not hard as they always would have regardless of any and all entry draft ramifications. They just don't care either way, IMO.

Shane Doan is an extremely rare exception that is so deeply invested that he actually considers these things. 98% of players don't give a rat's ass about the entry draft I would wager.

So my joke is no more or less sensible than Doan's proposal. There would be no measurable difference in team performance if the league were to adopt this.

That argument completely ignores what is the more important aspect of this and that is management. Players don't tank, management does.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
8 Apr
Columbus beats Buffalo.

Place|
Team|Points|Games Remaining|Opponents
1|
Toronto|69|01|@NJD
2|Edmonton|69|01|@VAN
3|Columbus|74|01|CHI
4|Vancouver|73|01|@EDM
5|
Calgary|75|01|@MIN
6|Winnipeg|76|01|@LA
7|
Arizona|78|01|@SJS
8|
Buffalo|79|01|@NYI
9|Montreal|80|01|TB
10|New Jersey|82|01|TOR​

7th. 8th or 9th if we win and others don't. We have the tiebreaker (ROW) over the Jets, Sabres, and Canadiens.

Ideally I'd like to see us win tomorrow along with Buffalo and Montreal. 80 points would be more aesthetically pleasing in 7th place.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Stellick and Simmermrun the simulator every morning on Sirius XM and the Yotes won this morning! Now I've ran it several times myself and sometimes we win, but I'll tell you what - it sure was exciting hearing someone say it over the air!

Keep the faith boys.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The Red Wings are an anomaly as much as the Oilers are. It's not realistic to expect every franchise to be managed that well.

Statistically speaking a 25 year playoff run is a long shot, but that should not mean you would not expect excellence in management.

If you are the new owners, do you come in and say "we want to have a first class organizations that the top players in the league WANT to play for", or do you say "that's unrealistic, let's just shoot for average".

Sounds corny, but you should always shoot for the stars. Might not make it, but you definitely will not make it if you don't try.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Ideally I'd like to see us win tomorrow along with Buffalo and Montreal. 80 points would be more aesthetically pleasing in 7th place.

I'm hoping that we CRUSH the Sharks. Doan hits 30 goals, Domi breaks the rookie point mark, and Smitty pitches a shutout.

Need those good vibrations to reverberate throughout the long, hot, Arizona summer.

P.S. Yotes will make the playoffs next year, a new arena will be under construction, and season ticket sales will see a significant jump.

P.S.S. If you are short of optimism let me know and I'll do my best Tony Robbins impersonation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm hoping that we CRUSH the Sharks. Doan hits 30 goals, Domi breaks the rookie point mark, and Smitty pitches a shutout.

Need those good vibrations to reverberate throughout the long, hot, Arizona summer.

P.S. Yotes will make the playoffs next year, a new arena will be under construction, and season ticket sales will see a significant jump.

P.S.S. If you are short of optimism let me know and I'll do my best Tony Robbins impersonation.

I'm not quite that optimistic. The Yotes will push for a playoff spot next year and a new arena will be under construction.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Good post! I think the playoffs are possible next year too. If we pick up a 1RHD(not likely) or a solid second pairing LHD like Yandle, it becomes more likely. If we don't improve our D, then I don't see us having a good chance at the playoffs. I'll wait until the off season/roster changes to predict anything, too early to tell.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
An update from the main board.

Draft lottery teams (just added)
1st - Toronto - 69 points - clinched this spot
2nd - Edmonton - 69 points, max 71 (27 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
3rd - Vancouver - 73 points, max 75 (26 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
4th - Columbus - 76 points (27 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
Calgary - 77 points (33 R/OT wins) - tied head-to-head with CBJ, tied with WPG -30 goal diff - will be in 5th or 6th slot
Winnipeg - 76 points, max 78 (32 R/OT wins) - tied head-to-head with CGY, -25 goal diff - will be in 5th or 6th slot
7th - Arizona - 78 points, max 80 (34 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
8th - Buffalo - 81 points (32 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
9th - Montreal - 82 clinched this spot
10th - Colorado - 82 points (35 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
11th - New Jersey - 82 points (36 R/OT wins) - clinched this spot
12th - Ottawa - 85 points - clinched this spot
13th - Carolina - 86 points - clinched this spot
14th - Boston- 93 points clinched this spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad