Prospect Info: "Tank ran out of gas" - 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That loss was pretty big for draft positioning. Giving Jets much better chance at 6th pick. Still a glimmer of hope for 5th, but not likely. Would require Jets losing last 2 games and either Flames winning next 3 or Islanders winning next 4.

And if the Flames AND Isles run the table and Jets lose out, we pick 4th. :naughty:

Don't see that happening. 6th is distinct possibility.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Left wingers beware :laugh:

With Ladd and Buff out for the year, tank mode is in full force!

I would have never believed that TNSE would do this, but it sure seems to me that they might be throwing the season. The evidence is becoming a bit overwhelming at this point. So if so...why? Perhaps they aren't planning on going "off the board" this year and really do have their eye on someone ranked in the #5-7 range.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I would have never believed that TNSE would do this, but it sure seems to me that they might be throwing the season. The evidence is becoming a bit overwhelming at this point. So if so...why? Perhaps they aren't planning on going "off the board" this year and really do have their eye on someone ranked in the #5-7 range.

How does it seem like that? What "overwhelming" evidence? The injuries?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Buff and Ladd maaaaybe wouldn't be that bad injured if we'd be 2 points out of the playoffs ;) I think TNSE knows that it doesn't hurt that much to stay at 6th. They won't force anything but I don't think they really feel bad about not winning the last 3-4 games.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You guys are great tankers. Props ;)

Unfortunately we are average at best at tanking but this late season non winning streak is nice.....the road trip to Cali and Phoenix was a bit too productive but we still have a good shot at 6th place before the lottery

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

keeping in mind there is no such thing as an intentional tank in pro hockey (any more) but still having fun with this tangent IMO there is no way we start Hutch if we are in full tank mode we ride Pavs right to the promised land and I am not kidding ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Buff and Ladd maaaaybe wouldn't be that bad injured if we'd be 2 points out of the playoffs ;) I think TNSE knows that it doesn't hurt that much to stay at 6th. They won't force anything but I don't think they really feel bad about not winning the last 3-4 games.

Unfortunately we are average at best at tanking but this late season non winning streak is nice.....the road trip to Cali and Phoenix was a bit too productive but we still have a good shot at 6th place before the lottery

I would say we are actually pretty good at the tank game. Since we started slipping out of realistic contention for a playoff spot we have done worse than every other team around us and now are in the drivers seat for the 6th pick. From an outside perspective the Jets would be in full tank mode. Last night they had 7 regulars out of the line up their goalie was playing his 1st NHL game. We know the back story but that lineup would finish the season well below Buffalo. Agree with GJF that we'd likely see a few more regulars in if we were tied for 8th.

Over the weekend the Preds ****kicked the Sharks and Ducks in back to back games and would likely do the same to us given the opportunity.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would say we are actually pretty good at the tank game. Since we started slipping out of realistic contention for a playoff spot we have done worse than every other team around us and now are in the drivers seat for the 6th pick. From an outside perspective the Jets would be in full tank mode. Last night they had 7 regulars out of the line up their goalie was playing his 1st NHL game. We know the back story but that lineup would finish the season well below Buffalo. Agree with GJF that we'd likely see a few more regulars in if we were tied for 8th.

Over the weekend the Preds ****kicked the Sharks and Ducks in back to back games and would likely do the same to us given the opportunity.

Yea I guess its relative I am jacked about the 6th pick but realistically I am not sure that is successful even of we finish 6th. We had a brutal schedule and still managed to go .500 on the road at SJ, LA, Anh, and Phoenix, lost to Pitt at home then beat Tor so before the injuries caught up to us we were 3-3 over 5 roads games. We are playing pretty well and competing we are just banged up now IMO.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

If there's no chance at the playoffs, why play your stars if they're injured? Shut them down for the season.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Islanders are still too far behind the Jets. Flames have Kings tomorrow night and Canucks on Friday.

If Flames win tomorrow night and Jets lose to Boston on Thursday, my vote is to give our 4th line about 16-18 minutes of ice time on Friday.

Still predicting we'll get the 6th pick.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Let's all imagine, for a second, that one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl falls to us at 6th if we were to finish there, and the Jets pick Haydn Fleury.

Think about that for a minute. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Let's all imagine, for a second, that one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl falls to us at 6th if we were to finish there, and the Jets pick Haydn Fleury.

Think about that for a minute. :laugh:

Jets dance to the beat of their own drummer and do well with it so I would suck it up and hug the new kid but yea at this point I would love Dal Colle or Draisaitl.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Jets dance to the beat of their own drummer and do well with it so I would suck it up and hug the new kid but yea at this point I would love Dal Colle or Draisaitl.

Agree, they have definitely given me a sense of comfort in whoever they choose to select in the first round as Scheifele, Trouba and Morrissey all look like exceptional/great picks. I have to say though, I'd be quite disappointed if we passed on Dal Colle (especially) or Draisaitl for Fleury.

More so, this place would go nuts. I guess it would just be a bit funny because it's the running theme around here on draft day. :laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree, they have definitely given me a sense of comfort in whoever they choose to select in the first round as Scheifele, Trouba and Morrissey all look like exceptional/great picks. I have to say though, I'd be quite disappointed if we passed on Dal Colle (especially) or Draisaitl for Fleury.

More so, this place would go nuts. I guess it would just be a bit funny because it's the running theme around here on draft day. :laugh:

why should this year be any different? :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Injuries? Like Kane? Whats wrong with Ladd? Buff? Bogo has been day to day........for weeks. Are they really interested in evaluating Klingberg at this point? Why did Little and Wheelers ice time drop? I'm all for seeing Hutch play, but I think "they" actually believe that Pavs is their real number one. Some people believe everything they hear.....I'm just trying to add a little critical thinking.

There is no intentional tank anymore? Well I must have missed that memo. When the TNSE issues said memo, I will believe it 100% ;) . The lottery doesn't change anything.

I'm not complaining..........just an interested observer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad