Prospect Info: "Tank ran out of gas" - 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not putting a lot of stock into U18's in the big picture, which I think is how you have to approach the draft.

Don't know enough about the Euros or NTDP guys, but of the rest you mentioned, I'd rank them:

Perlini
Ehlers
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie

Virtanen and Ritchie have the highest bust potential of this group IMO, someone is either going to be in love with Ritchie and he'll be off the board fast, or he'll drop significantly. Perlini and Fleury are relatively safe picks to be good NHLers at least.

I'm just not seeing why Perlini is being seen as such a solid prospect. By some accounts he slowed down as the season progressed (rather than showing improvement). His performance at the U-18 seemed to indicate a lack of any jam in his game. He seemed like a perimeter-oriented players. Those are the types that I think have a big "bust" potential, especially for a top-10 pick.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I like Fleury, but I wouldn't take him if there was a guy like Ehlers, Virtanen, etc there.

I think you can get a comparable D man later, but you won't see comparable talents to Ehlers and Virtanen later.

I'm really warming up to us chosing a big defenseman like Fleury if the skilled forwards (Ehlers, Nylander) are gone by 9th.

Here is a dated (Sept/13) scouting report on him with some pros and cons............

Fleury is a physical, good skating defenseman who received more and more ice time as the season went along, and eventually was out on the ice to play against the opponent’s top lines on a nightly basis. Fleury’s game at both ends is quite impressive for his age, and is well on his way to be a top defenseman in the WHL.

For his size, Fleury has exceptional skating abilities. He has very good speed, and his footwork in tight areas is exceptional. He can maintain a very tight gap off the rush and use his reach to angle opponents to the boards and poke away pucks to create turnovers. He can still learn to take better angles on opposing forwards to take away any sort of offensive opportunities. Fleury plays a physical game, and is very difficult to play against on a consistent basis. He is very strong along the walls, and because of his speed and size, he rarely ever has to hook or trip players to prevent them from having a scoring opportunity. He does not take undisciplined penalties, and understands that he is more valuable to his team when he is out on the ice and not in the penalty box.

Offensively, Fleury is an above average puck mover. He can still improve on his passes out of the zone and allow his team to break out smoothly. He is not afraid to carry the puck himself into the offensive zone and provide another weapon on the rush. He has a good shot from the point, but needs to work on getting it through traffic or having a shorter back swing on his slap shots to get shots off more quickly when necessary. He does not possess elite vision or skills, but has shown that he can handle the puck well enough.

Fleury definitely has all the tools to become an NHL player one day. He still has improvements to make in his game, but much of that comes from more experience. He projects as a top 4 shut down defenseman as his offensive game is not exceptional, but he could certainly fill in some PP time when necessary. He will be counted on to play even more minutes next season, and Fleury will have an excellent opportunity to further raise his draft stock for 2014.
Submitted by: HockeyProspect.com - Sept. 24th

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm just not seeing why Perlini is being seen as such a solid prospect. By some accounts he slowed down as the season progressed (rather than showing improvement). His performance at the U-18 seemed to indicate a lack of any jam in his game. He seemed like a perimeter-oriented players. Those are the types that I think have a big "bust" potential, especially for a top-10 pick.

The physical game is the drawback with Perlini, but he still needs to fill out and develop a bit physically. The mix of speed and skill combined with the body once he does fill out...I think the red flags on him are similar to the ones on Scheifele, and although they play different positions, they are comparable in style.

I prefer a guy in that mold than one like Ritchie, who is purposefully physical in some games to the detriment of his play, plus I just can't wrap my head around a guy having the BMI of an offensive lineman as a 17 year old being a top 10 prospect in the long run. He's either a generational freak of nature, or he'll have to do a lot of work on conditioning and his body, and continuously be on that. This is the classic type of bust, big guy with the complaints of taking shifts off already dogging him.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
speak of the devil:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 35s

2 way for sure. Lean to offense actually RT @KF_Kadri43: @coreypronman I've been meaning to ask you, Haydn Fleury - stay at home D or 2 way?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Fleury defeinitely stuck out to me with his size and skating compared to the other defensemen. Virtanen impressed me enough I'd be fine with taking him. Obviously no problem taking Ehlers or Nylander if they are there. Didn't get a chance to see Fiala.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Fleury defeinitely stuck out to me with his size and skating compared to the other defensemen. Virtanen impressed me enough I'd be fine with taking him. Obviously no problem taking Ehlers or Nylander if they are there. Didn't get a chance to see Fiala.

Fiala has not been rated high (just cracked the top 30 ISS list) but the little I seen of him in the U18s looked mighty impressive

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm not putting a lot of stock into U18's in the big picture, which I think is how you have to approach the draft.

Don't know enough about the Euros or NTDP guys, but of the rest you mentioned, I'd rank them:

Perlini
Ehlers
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie

Virtanen and Ritchie have the highest bust potential of this group IMO, someone is either going to be in love with Ritchie and he'll be off the board fast, or he'll drop significantly. Perlini and Fleury are relatively safe picks to be good NHLers at least.

Just for ***** and giggles this is my list (of the guys you mentioned) currently (not the final, but close enough):

Ehlers
Fiala
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie
Perlini

Yeah, I know you didn't say Fiala, but I couldn't help myself.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just for ***** and giggles this is my list (of the guys you mentioned) currently (not the final, but close enough):

Ehlers
Fiala
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie
Perlini

Well, I expect that the Jets are likely to have their pick of one of your top two - Ehlers or Fiala. Now watch them drive you crazy by selecting Perlini.... :laugh:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Ehlers
Fiala
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie
Perlini

I'm reasonaby close to the same, moving Fleury up & Virtanen down

Ehlers
Fleury
Fiala
Ritchie
Perlini
Virtanen
Fabbri

Now if Nylander drops, he's prob still behind Ehlers here

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I know next year's draft is the McDavid/Eichiel draft, but Hanifin looks like the real deal. A Hanifin/Trouba pairing for say, a decade or so would be pretty great. :)

Forgive the hyperbole but Hanifin is off the charts. Don't be shocked if he is right there with those two next June.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Good thing we're not picking around 4-6 or else this forum would turn into GJF/Draisaitl vs. Romang/Nylander :laugh:

It's a good thing we're not picking 4-6 because then this team would have had a losing culture, those last couple games were critical. Draft position is meaningless. :sarcasm:

We should even trade our 1st for a 6th straight up since I've seen 1st round picks bust and Pavel Datsyuk was a 6th round pick. So obviously picking higher means absolutely nothing.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Good thing we're not picking around 4-6 or else this forum would turn into GJF/Draisaitl vs. Romang/Nylander :laugh:

Draisaitl is the first EVER German player to go Top-10, let alone Top-5 maybe.

Sturm was 19th overall.

There are plenty Swedish Top-10 players, I'd expect you to choose my side!

;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Has Craig Button ever expanded on why he has Virtanen way down in the 40's?

The much rumoured character issues?

During the U-18 broadcasts I found him routinely digging at Virtanen for lack of discipline, etc. (Virtanen did take at least one bad penalty). Other than that, I expect that he found it difficult to reconcile having Perlini ranked top 10 and Virtanen in the 40's.

If Button is so concerned about discipline and "character" issues, one wonders why he ranked Dumba #2 overall in his draft year.

I expect that Virtanen will shoot up Button's final list, or he'll need to be more explicit in expressing his concerns. Right now, it doesn't make much sense to have Virtanen so much below some of the other players based on performance.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's a good thing we're not picking 4-6 because then this team would have had a losing culture, those last couple games were critical. Draft position is meaningless. :sarcasm:

We should even trade our 1st for a 6th straight up since I've seen 1st round picks bust and Pavel Datsyuk was a 6th round pick. So obviously picking higher means absolutely nothing.

Most of the guys I like at #9 are generally ranked 15-25, so its just fine with me. :yo:

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
It's a good thing we're not picking 4-6 because then this team would have had a losing culture, those last couple games were critical. Draft position is meaningless.

Definitely. Playing with such passion and desire to win those last couple meaningless games will turn this team around and make us a contender. We would definitely be worse off losing those games and finishing 4-6. Probably not anyone better in that range than what we can get at 9th spot anyway. And besides, Chevy would have gone off board with that pick and selected the same guy we get at 9th because he's smarter than every other GM.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad