Prospect Info: "Tank ran out of gas" - 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bogo for Edmonton's 1st and Marancin or Klefbom.

Edmonton needs quantity right now so I don't see them doing this deal. Bogo has to figure out how to stay healthy as well.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What are the specifics of these "character concerns" that everybody always talks about?

I'd like to know this as well, because people on HF are just taking it as "fact" now, but I don't know how anyone can say this with certainty.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Chevy sighting at the U18's bronze medal game. Button spoke well of Jets drafting.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is an increasing amount of chatter that suggests that Virtanen is likely to be gone by #9. Nylander might also have increased his stock to be above the Jets.

In that case, the Jets are probably looking at choosing from among:

Ehlers
Ritchie
Fiala
Fleury

Some commentators have suggested a "fall-off" after 12. They probably think that Perlini belongs in that top group, but I have been unimpressed at the U-18 and put Fiala and Fleury up there. The next "tier" might include.

Perlini
Kapanen
Tuch
Milano
Fabbri
etc.

How do Jets' fans feel about Ritchie or Ehlers? What about Fleury? I know some really like Fiala (Sweech leading the charge).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just finishing up watching the Canada Czech Rep. game and I came away impressed by Fluery. He models himself after Bouwmeester and I can see it, he's smooth skating and he's just steady on the back end. He's got a great first pass, when he gets the puck on his stick you know it's going to get out in a hurry.

As much as I hate to project young kids, I could really see him developing into a solid top 4 D. He's got a lot of good skills: size, speed, skating, defensive awareness. Nothing screams elite in his game but everything is pretty solid. I'd dub him a jack of all trades.

I've said this before but depending on which forwards are off the table I wouldn't be disappointed picking up Fluery at #9.

There hasn't been much about this U18 team that has impressed me, but Fluery remains pretty high in my books. His style will certainly translate well into the NHL game. The other one is Connor Bleackley. I would look at Bleackley as a "safe" pick. His 200 foot game will almost assure him of being an NHL player at least in a bottom six role.

However, watching this tourny I find myself starting to lean toward some of the euros. The skill level with guys like Pastrnak, Nylander, Vrana etc is noticeably more impressive than the NA players with comparable rankings.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Konecny and Barzal look better every game. Next years draft seems to be living up to the hype.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like Fleury, but I wouldn't take him if there was a guy like Ehlers, Virtanen, etc there.

I think you can get a comparable D man later, but you won't see comparable talents to Ehlers and Virtanen later.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Konecny and Barzal look better every game. Next years draft seems to be living up to the hype.

Yea the 2015 draft is looking really good.....the 2014 draft class at this U18's has left me wanting on North American talent and I just have the feeling we are a bit NA centric in our approach but we'll see.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Stop giving Sanheim awards! Lol. I don't know why I want this kid so bad, but I do.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Soft spot for Elkhorn?

It is nice there. ;)

I don't usually put much stock into the local thing. Its not really too much of that. That's mainly a little bonus.

I just like the meteoric rise he's gone on this year and wonder where it ends. I also did key on him a lot in the U18s and really liked him. Small sample size and all that, but I liked his mobility, his stick handling, and he was out on the PP and PK. Just seems to have a tonne of upside, and the local thing is a nice bonus.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Fleury, but I wouldn't take him if there was a guy like Ehlers, Virtanen, etc there.

I think you can get a comparable D man later, but you won't see comparable talents to Ehlers and Virtanen later.

I just don't see a comparable dman later to Fleury, he's a riser and I think after him and Ekblad there is a big drop off at D. I can see 6-9 going like this:
VAN- Virtanen
CAR- Fleury
TOR- Ritchie
WPG- Ehlers/Nylander

That would be nice to have to pick between those two talents.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I just don't see a comparable dman later to Fleury, he's a riser and I think after him and Ekblad there is a big drop off at D. I can see 6-9 going like this:
VAN- Virtanen
CAR- Fleury
TOR- Ritchie
WPG- Ehlers/Nylander

That would be nice to have to pick between those two talents.

Maybe, who knows. It just looks like a guy like Fleury looks more like a 2nd pairing or possibly a number 2, and historically I think its easier to find those types in a later round. Compared to finding a top 3 forward, which I think is harder to get later.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I've kind of soured on Tuch since a little before the U18's, and now his performance there hasn't helped. It worries me that he seems to be the weak link on that line, especially when he is the biggest. When you're that age playing against others who are on average much, much smaller than you you would hope to be much more dominant. I'm getting the feeling that his point totals, which are the lowest on his line, may be a little generous due to his linemates. He hasn't done much to impress me in this tournament either.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Via @hope_smoke pn Twitter:

Corey Pronman on TSN 1260 "I think this is the real William Nylander we've been seeing the past few months"

Pronman "and this is a guy [Nylander] I do think is in the argument to be a top 5 pick this year"

Pronman "I think Tuch is probably the third best player on that line with Eichel & Milano, but those are also 2 really high end prospects"

Pronman "I do think Tuch is a 1st rnd potential type of guy. Big, strong & skilled. Not a high end skill guy but does a lot of things well"

Pronman "you know some teams will be thinking 1st round with Tuch just because of some of the unique things he can do on the ice"

Pronman "Larkin is probably one of the best speed guys in the draft. He's also tough and plays hard"

Pronman "Milano is more skilled and a playmaker. I don't think he has the same defensive value as Larkin, but he excels on the PP"

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I know next year's draft is the McDavid/Eichiel draft, but Hanifin looks like the real deal. A Hanifin/Trouba pairing for say, a decade or so would be pretty great. :)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I know next year's draft is the McDavid/Eichiel draft, but Hanifin looks like the real deal. A Hanifin/Trouba pairing for say, a decade or so would be pretty great. :)

I'd love Hanifin, can't imagine we would be bad enough to get him though. Kylington, however :nod:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There is an increasing amount of chatter that suggests that Virtanen is likely to be gone by #9. Nylander might also have increased his stock to be above the Jets.

In that case, the Jets are probably looking at choosing from among:

Ehlers
Ritchie
Fiala
Fleury

Some commentators have suggested a "fall-off" after 12. They probably think that Perlini belongs in that top group, but I have been unimpressed at the U-18 and put Fiala and Fleury up there. The next "tier" might include.

Perlini
Kapanen
Tuch
Milano
Fabbri
etc.

How do Jets' fans feel about Ritchie or Ehlers? What about Fleury? I know some really like Fiala (Sweech leading the charge).

I'm not putting a lot of stock into U18's in the big picture, which I think is how you have to approach the draft.

Don't know enough about the Euros or NTDP guys, but of the rest you mentioned, I'd rank them:

Perlini
Ehlers
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie

Virtanen and Ritchie have the highest bust potential of this group IMO, someone is either going to be in love with Ritchie and he'll be off the board fast, or he'll drop significantly. Perlini and Fleury are relatively safe picks to be good NHLers at least.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not putting a lot of stock into U18's in the big picture, which I think is how you have to approach the draft.

Don't know enough about the Euros or NTDP guys, but of the rest you mentioned, I'd rank them:

Perlini
Ehlers
Virtanen
Fleury
Fabbri
Ritchie

Virtanen and Ritchie have the highest bust potential of this group IMO, someone is either going to be in love with Ritchie and he'll be off the board fast, or he'll drop significantly. Perlini and Fleury are relatively safe picks to be good NHLers at least.

Wow. My list is damn near the exact opposite of your list.

Do agree that the U-18's is a very short snap shot that shouldn't be considered too big in the grand scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad