Tank Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
A step forward I guess. I don’t like the path they’ve chosen but it is what it is.

I’d assume the mentality next year is “just get in” and then the proceeding season the bar gets raised to “okay be an actual threat in the playoffs and win”
If the goal is winning the cup, making the playoffs with NO real chance of winning the Cup is counterproductive to actually winning a Cup.

Reactions: Raistlin and DFAC

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A step forward I guess. I don’t like the path they’ve chosen but it is what it is.

I’d assume the mentality next year is “just get in” and then the proceeding season the bar gets raised to “okay be an actual threat in the playoffs and win”
It is what it is...Its a complete waste of energy complaining about where we finish this season..Players and coaches are hardwired to win at all costs...As fans we're absolutely powerless to control it.

There's no doubt that finishing higher in the draft was in the organizations best interests..but at the end of the day, the higher priority was correcting the team 'mindset'...and preparing our elite core players for next season (especially the first quarter).

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
The Canucks will be doing anything they can to trade OEL and this pick. Probably trying to get another old washed up Swede like Karlsson in here.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Sorry, what is the actual importance of just making the playoffs?
I believe the entire argument is that Petey won't extend unless we are a competitive team? Also Hughes wouldn't be happy playing for a rebuilding team. Also we are apparently "too good" to tank, so might as well try to make the playoff then, because barely missing the playoff gets you nowhere near the top of the draft anyways.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I believe the entire argument is that Petey won't extend unless we are a competitive team? Also Hughes wouldn't be happy playing for a rebuilding team. Also we are apparently "too good" to tank, so might as well try to make the playoff then, because barely missing the playoff gets you nowhere near the top of the draft anyways.

If we gonna run with this core, that's fine.

But, if this is the case, then the shelf life of this team is shortened significantly. Pete will be in the last year of his contract, he'll probably get something like 10-11 mil for 8 years, Hughes is coming up soon, and he'll probably get around the same. We need to figure out what to do with Myers OEL and maybe Boeser AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, with the urgency of our asses being on fire. Because next season will have to be a promising run - if it's not a cup run, it will have to show enough progress to convince Pete to stay with a reasonable deal, which may very well serve to convince Hughes to do the same down the line.

Because if either Pete or Hughes goes UFA, the fanbase will want Alv and Moleman's blood.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If we gonna run with this core, that's fine.

But, if this is the case, then the shelf life of this team is shortened significantly. Pete will be in the last year of his contract, he'll probably get something like 10-11 mil for 8 years, Hughes is coming up soon, and he'll probably get around the same. We need to figure out what to do with Myers OEL and maybe Boeser AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, with the urgency of our asses being on fire. Because next season will have to be a promising run - if it's not a cup run, it will have to show enough progress to convince Pete to stay with a reasonable deal, which may very well serve to convince Hughes to do the same down the line.

Because if either Pete or Hughes goes UFA, the fanbase will want Alv and Moleman's blood.
Not to mention the raise for Kuzmenko will kick in and add another ~$4.5m to the cap. They really have no choice but to somehow find a way to dump a winger (either Boeser or Garland) and Myer, or buy out OEL, at the bare minimum. Also have to pray that Pearson and Poolman stays on LTIR. They also need to make sure to keep Bear under a reasonable contract, or find a replacement that is making roughly what he makes now and can play the right side adequately. That only gets them cap compliant, not even improving the team.

Hughes has 5 more seasons left on his contract I believe, so we don't have to worry about him. Except for the fact he doesn't want to rebuild so we'll have to compete now to make him happy, apparently.

Then the following season, if you are lucky enough to have Petey commit, his extension will take up most of Myer's cap hit, and Hronek will want a significant raise I'm sure. Again, not even improving the team, just keeping this group together.

They have certainly picked the most difficult path to follow. I expect many picks/prospects will be traded as sweetener to get rid of some of these guys. It will be interesting to see if they can build a competitive team on the one hand, while actively tying anchors to themselves on the other with all the contracts handed out. Either way, the prospect pool is not going to look great for the foreseeable future, that's my guess.

Reactions: Lindgren

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not to mention the raise for Kuzmenko will kick in and add another ~$4.5m to the cap. They really have no choice but to somehow find a way to dump a winger (either Boeser or Garland) and Myer, or buy out OEL, at the bare minimum. Also have to pray that Pearson and Poolman stays on LTIR. They also need to make sure to keep Bear under a reasonable contract, or find a replacement that is making roughly what he makes now and can play the right side adequately. That only gets them cap compliant, not even improving the team.

Hughes has 5 more seasons left on his contract I believe, so we don't have to worry about him. Except for the fact he doesn't want to rebuild so we'll have to compete now to make him happy, apparently.

Then the following season, if you are lucky enough to have Petey commit, his extension will take up most of Myer's cap hit, and Hronek will want a significant raise I'm sure. Again, not even improving the team, just keeping this group together.

They have certainly picked the most difficult path to follow. I expect many picks/prospects will be traded as sweetener to get rid of some of these guys. It will be interesting to see if they can build a competitive team on the one hand, while actively tying anchors to themselves on the other with all the contracts handed out. Either way, the prospect pool is not going to look great for the foreseeable future, that's my guess.
Hughes only has 4 years left. I'm starting to think that they'll dangle the "C" in front of him to try to lessen the odds of him bolting since it seems like EP is open to staying and doesn't really want the captaincy.

I feel like Hughes wants it. But even if they name him captain, you can't assume he's staying so their 4 year window with him start next season, hence the Hronek trade and why future 1sts should be on the table.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He is most likely gonna trade the pick if it's 10th or higher.
It makes sense honestly, this team refuses to rebuild, Might as well just go all in properly, and forget the draft exists in round 1.

Its brutal to say considering we had TWO 1st rounders and a 2nd and like multiple thirds and 4ths, but this is where the org has decided to go into, the direction.

I also feel that they think that EP40 won't wanna do a full rebuild, I can see it, Could be a tactic to keep him here, He is the most important person this offseason bar none, period.

I tend to agree, and don't necessarily mind us doing that provided we actually address a need. Last off season we were signing every forward under the sun. There's also a small part of me that wonders if they use that pick to get rid of OEL which would be almost comical in its ineptitude. Imagine the opts: 9th and 10th overall for OEL.

Putting that horrid scenario aside, I hope betting on EP40 doesn't backfire on us if we're still a mediocre team. What bothers me about that philosophy is neither EP nor Hughes are thinking long term. A couple of lean years now are better than mediocrity followed by those same lean years after.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Our chance of drafting 1 or 2 literally got cut in half with our win today…. Great
You can’t look at it that way. You have to consider how much of a boost this hard fought victory over the Anaheim Ducks will give us over 82 games next season.

Sorry, what is the actual importance of just making the playoffs?
Two home gates in April.

Reactions: Lindgren

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i'm okay with trading the first but the canucks need to solve their cap puzzle first if they hope to use it to add anyone meaningful. they're far, far from the point they should be buying players like hagel or jeannot for first rounders like tampa

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It is what it is...Its a complete waste of energy complaining about where we finish this season..Players and coaches are hardwired to win at all costs...As fans we're absolutely powerless to control it.

There's no doubt that finishing higher in the draft was in the organizations best interests..but at the end of the day, the higher priority was correcting the team 'mindset'...and preparing our elite core players for next season (especially the first quarter).
Curious what do you think training camp and the preseason games are for?

finishing higher in the draft will let you one day compete with teams with Orlov/Lindholm/McAvoy/Carlo in the back. or Toews/Byram/Makar, or Hughes/Hamilton/Marino/Nemec or Werenski/Jiricek/Mateychuk/Svozil etc etc....

we have two finesse defensemen, absolutely no defensive defensemen with projectable top pair skills. What do you do once you get in the playoffs.... because thats when quality defensive depth shine. Drafting at 10 likely means Reinbacher is off the board.... ASP is not what we need, do we reach for Simashev? or just ignore this giant organisational hole in the back and draft another BPA winger?

Reactions: mathonwy

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You’re quoting a guy who was a fan of the management group that caused this downfall. I don’t think he really gets it.
Yes, no idea son. 35 years watching and playing competitively. Maybe I enjoy winding up a certain idiot

We should all be upset no? Higher pick is better for the team in the long run.
Of course I’d like a higher pick. I just find Drance’s constant whining annoying. I never expected a top 5 pick this year so watching us slip a few slots was to be expected

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
It suck that OEL is such a major hurdle going forward and needs to be dealt with now.

I want playoffs next so whatever it takes Im good with. I want to see Petey, Miller and Hughes in playoff form and I believe Demko can steal a series. I agree with seeing how the 11th pick this can be packaged up

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
couldn't the coach say something like ...i want us to use these last 20 games to practice certain part of our game that we otherwise wouldn't be doing...not having the pressure to gather points can be looked at as an opportunity to have the luxury of working and focussing on certain aspects of our game that may not produce points for us now, but will help to build a more solid base that will be helpful over time...so with the situation we are in, i think our best hope for next season is to work on and refine those parts of our game while we don't have the pressure of needing more wins...sometimes, focussing on getting points can pressure a player to do some things that may work in the moment but lead to bad habits....at this point, pushing hard for points as a way to build confidence for next year would likely be the least effective thing we can do.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
beyond sad, infuriating is how I feel how they got here.

The rest of the teams that identified playoffs to be unlikely got the memo and tanked. When all is said and done, post all star break, against some of the softest competition, this team managed 103 GF 100 GA while pulling out all the stops to win games.

what did they prove? that by running QH to the ground and dressing Demko as much as possible they scored 3 more goals than their soft competition? WOW. Tocchet sure got them roaring for success next year.

At 11, they now have no chance at obtaining the one thing they need that cannot be done otherwise. a cost controlled RHD that can one day play with QH. We all saw this a mile away as every other team wittled down their roster. Look at that one special winner record post break here.
Screenshot at 2023-04-12 19-39-30.png

Screenshot at 2023-04-12 19-40-12.png

while these guys knows whats up.

Stevie Y sold while his team has every indication to make this post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad