Tank Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
9th is still possible. Detroit vs Lightning is a winnable game for Detroit. The lightning dealing with a bunch od injuries will probably not play a lot of their best players very much and just try to avoid injuries. Also the Canucks need to lose to the Coyotes.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, it’s just more disappointing all those late tying goals at around game 60/70 area.

We knew this was going to be a win, and we would win a bit down the stretch.

And, like I said, I truly believe it’s 8 deep.

It hurts more that we lowered our chance at winning the first overall pick though, a generational talent.

Reactions: Byfield and DFAC

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It's just disappointing that after such an awful season we don't even get the consolation prize of a high draft pick.

Rutherford better pull some magic this off season because if we're spinning our wheel again next year—winning those "culture building" games—I don't think the fanbase will respond too well.
He is most likely gonna trade the pick if it's 10th or higher.
It makes sense honestly, this team refuses to rebuild, Might as well just go all in properly, and forget the draft exists in round 1.

Its brutal to say considering we had TWO 1st rounders and a 2nd and like multiple thirds and 4ths, but this is where the org has decided to go into, the direction.

I also feel that they think that EP40 won't wanna do a full rebuild, I can see it, Could be a tactic to keep him here, He is the most important person this offseason bar none, period.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Bottom feeders like the Devils and Sabres have all stockpiled talent by being bad the past several seasons and look ready to contend. The same will happen with Anaheim and Columbus among others. And we continue to get moral victories that will boost confidence until training camp hits. Rinse and repeat. Let's have this conversation again next season, same time.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
With how bad the Canucks are there are still 10 or so teams with worst records.

They really need to fix the lottery system, I just dont know what they can do to stop teams from actively trying to be bad (Chicago)

Reactions: Byfield

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
All they probably had to do to tank but not tank was to play Demko against the Kings (probably lose anyways) and play Delia against the Ducks and Yotes, but the death of reason descended on this poorly-run franchise a decade or so ago.

Welcome back to the mushy middle.

Reactions: dwarf and Byfield

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's just disappointing that after such an awful season we don't even get the consolation prize of a high draft pick.

Rutherford better pull some magic this off season because if we're spinning our wheel again next year—winning those "culture building" games—I don't think the fanbase will respond too well.
It’s playoffs or bust next season. And now JR/Allvin can no longer throw the coach under the bus.

If they miss next year, management should be on the hot seat.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nov 1, 2011
With how bad the Canucks are there are still 10 or so teams with worst records.

They really need to fix the lottery system, I just dont know what they can do to stop teams from actively trying to be bad (Chicago)

Chicago just basically knocked Pit out of the playoffs.

They are still competing but they made trades, after Seth Jones, acknowledging where they were at (Fleury, Debrincat, Kane) while we didn’t go nearly as hard (Horvat).

The suggestion that bad teams shouldn’t be given an advantage in getting better would just lead to the good teams always staying ahead of them (UFAs would generally sign for better teams).

This just seems like sour grapes since we’re bad but not bad enough.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Sorry, what is the actual importance of just making the playoffs?
A step forward I guess. I don’t like the path they’ve chosen but it is what it is.

I’d assume the mentality next year is “just get in” and then the proceeding season the bar gets raised to “okay be an actual threat in the playoffs and win”

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
A step forward I guess. I don’t like the path they’ve chosen but it is what it is.

I’d assume the mentality next year is “just get in” and then the proceeding season the bar gets raised to “okay be an actual threat in the playoffs and win”
Literally Jim Benning's entire ethos

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It makes sense honestly, this team refuses to rebuild, Might as well just go all in properly, and forget the draft exists in round 1.

Its brutal to say considering we had TWO 1st rounders and a 2nd and like multiple thirds and 4ths, but this is where the org has decided to go into, the direction.

I also feel that they think that EP40 won't wanna do a full rebuild, I can see it, Could be a tactic to keep him here, He is the most important person this offseason bar none, period.

I was pro-rebuild but I do think that re-signing Petersson is driving the decision bus here, and I don't entirely disagree with that logic. There are enough pieces that with smart management and luck it can be made to work, but it is a tough needle to thread. Pick-ups like Kuzmenko and luck with things like Hirose turning out, Hronek solidifying and being able to trade off Boeser and Myers and maybe a LTIR or buy-out of OEL and there's a path.

But that's a lot of if's...

Sorry, what is the actual importance of just making the playoffs?

Yeah, there better be a bigger target for all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It’s playoffs or bust next season. And now JR/Allvin can no longer throw the coach under the bus.

Management may be on the hot seat but all that will change is a new management group that will have a similar vision as the previous management groups.

It starts right at the top. The reluctance to even take a step back in a lost season and attempt to get a generational local boy or any top 5 pick that can help in the immediate short-term proves how short-sighted the entire organization is.

Deep down inside I know there's probably (or will be) been mounting pressure to trade this pick anyways for potential cap relief, so a lower pick softens the blow of parting with the pick. The reverse tank job may have been done by design.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I'm with you, trade the 1st. Make an actual push for the playoffs next year.

Also it would ensure we won't have 2-3 good players that prevent us from rebuilding at SOME POINT in the future.

Yep.

And I actually hate it. I would have been completely fine with the current management performing the rebuild. Who knows what kind of ass hats will be in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad