Value of: Tanev?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
The only way I'd want him is at next years deadline so he'd be as cheap as possible.

Dont know how much the value would differ to be honest. Its not a kings ransom to acquire Tanev now or next year. His value would likely be very close to the same at the deadline.

Also, if the offer was the right one the Canucks "could" retain some salary to make his cap hit lower.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well that's the most obvious statement ever. News would be, tanev is healthy.

It's fair to criticize his injury history. That's his major drawback.

I'm reminded of Sami Salo when talking about Tanev. Salo was often injured, but he was a legit top pairing Dman. Tanev is similar in that way. Also, Salo was never traded from the Canucks. He was too important despite the injuries...

The only way I'd want him is at next years deadline so he'd be as cheap as possible.

That may be the best time to get him. I've thought about this: If the Canucks graduate Hughes next year and pair him with Tanev, there's a very real chance that the Canucks re-sign Tanev instead of letting him walk. Maybe that's why he's still here...?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If Tanev is traded to the Leafs, I could see it being for Zaitsev and a 2nd. Perhaps a bit more if the Canucks retain.

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
Sample size is not near big enough to be predictive. You can see this when you view the larger samples of the 3 seasons previous, and they are generally better performances. Even though that is the worst stretch of hockey from any team over that span...

Anecdotally, Travis Green just commented on Tanev having to battle an injury behind the scenes. That might also explain things.

In any event, he looked very strong against PHI tonight. Hopefully, that continues.

Tanev and injuries. Name a more iconic duo lmao

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Because Zaitsev has negative value.
A horrible contract on top of not being a very effective puck handle, passer, or shooter.
He can block shots, and that's about it.

Not to mention Tanev to the leafs has been talked about forever and no where has anyone agreed upon something as garbage as your offer.

I am not a Tanev fan, but he's easily 5 times better than Zaitsev, on a better contract, but in your infinite wisdom you think that difference is a bottom of the list 2nd round pick? You're delusional.

Tanev is easily worth something like Brown and a first .

Putting Zaitsev into any deal that is not essentially a cap dump is idiocy. Literally no one wants him. He can't even over take hainsey who can barely keep up, who is playing his off wing. And the only reason he's not on the 3rd pair, is that guy has like 30 games in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rede

Jun 21, 2010
The Canucks are going to keep Tanev to play with Hughes unless they get a deal that fills an organizational need.

At this point, from interviews with management it sounds they really want a RHD who can play on the PP. My guess is that the Canucks either want Liljegren or aren't high on Liljegren, so ultimately there just isn't a deal to be made with the Leafs that would have the Canucks part with Tanev. That's why we haven't/won't see a deal here.

I guess picks may be interesting because the draft is in Vancouver this year, but even then I think ownership is too impatient for the team to trade Tanev and not see the fruits of that for years. If they are going to do that it is probably at the draft or at the deadline next year.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Because Zaitsev has negative value.
A horrible contract on top of not being a very effective puck handle, passer, or shooter.
He can block shots, and that's about it.

Not to mention Tanev to the leafs has been talked about forever and no where has anyone agreed upon something as garbage as your offer.

I am not a Tanev fan, but he's easily 5 times better than Zaitsev, on a better contract, but in your infinite wisdom you think that difference is a bottom of the list 2nd round pick? You're delusional.

Tanev is easily worth something like Brown and a first .

Putting Zaitsev into any deal that is not essentially a cap dump is idiocy. Literally no one wants him. He can't even over take hainsey who can barely keep up, who is playing his off wing. And the only reason he's not on the 3rd pair, is that guy has like 30 games in the NHL.

[mod]

[mod]

For instance, it might interest you to learn that Zaitsev had 36 points in his rookie year - not bad for a dman. Clearly, he does have some upside as a passer, and he has a perfectly good shot. Care to guess what Tanev's points high is in a year?

The Zaitsev pairing is used to take on the toughest defensive matchups. He's used as a defensive dman from the right side, same as Tanev.

Zaitsev is younger, cheaper (slightly), healthier, has more offensive upside and is used in the same shutdown role from the right side as Tanev. That's why I said that I believe that Benning will want him in return for Tanev.

Care to rationalize your comment of why you think Tanev is "easily 5 times better" than Zaitsev? Should be entertaining if nothing else :)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Should lock this thread up, Canucks are happy to keep him over these garbge offers. Let the Leafs get bounced in the 1st round again and then throw Gardiner under the bus.

Reactions: ElTito

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Zaitsev had a decent rookie campaign and then Lou signed him to that ridiculous contract.
Shut down role? That's laughable.
It's not 1998, you can't just high and hard it off the glass Ken Klee style anymore.

He has zero transition game, and he's signed on for 5 MORE YEARS after this one.

He has negative value and everyone knows it.
It's a bad contract.

You over value our players. Zaitsev is a bottom pair RHD making 4.5 mil when he should be making 2mil. No team has a want or a need for him. They're literally better playing anyone over him. I would rather play Dermott on a the right side, which is saying something, because he was terrible there last year. I'd rather throw Liljegren into the fire than play Zaitsev. Unfortunately we are stuck with him for another 5 years.

[mod]

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Vancouver reporter, Jason Botchford, said that league executives have told him that Tanev's trade value has fallen off a cliff.

Forget the days of talking about 1st round picks or Kasperi Kapanen. I don't even know if Toronto would want his salary on the team for next season.

Apparently the leafs offered Matt Martin for Tanev.
Jesus, I knew he wasn't worth nearly what Nucks fans parade around yelling at everyone, but only offering Martin really shows how out of touch with reality they are with Tanev. Guess that includes me for offering a conditional first, that's way too much!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Should lock this thread up, Canucks are happy to keep him over these garbge offers. Let the Leafs get bounced in the 1st round again and then throw Gardiner under the bus.
How's a guy who's going to be injured in the playoffs going to help Toronto exactly?

Your coach just came out and said he's literally injured right now, to the surprise of nobody.

You're right though, lock this up. Nobody is giving you value for a used, broken Band-Aid.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How's a guy who's going to be injured in the playoffs going to help Toronto exactly?

Your coach just came out and said he's literally injured right now, to the surprise of nobody.

You're right though, lock this up. Nobody is giving you value for a used, broken Band-Aid.

if you don't want to trade for him just leave the thread, as for injury concerns, it will be drastically lessened by playing on a team with far less travel and far less responsibilities

Feb 24, 2017
I'm reminded of Sami Salo when talking about Tanev. Salo was often injured, but he was a legit top pairing Dman. Tanev is similar in that way. Also, Salo was never traded from the Canucks. He was too important despite the injuries...
D034662D-EB4E-43BB-90B3-989759978A02.gif

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I know Toronto doesnt want to offer up Lilijgren but I dont even know if JB would ask for him. I am solely basing this off the Canucks being 1 of the very few teams who did NOT interview him at the draft.

If we move Tanev, which I think is the right thing we need a good young asset or high pick coming back and possibly a place holder right shot D coming back also.

I am not against us taking on Zaitsev, maybe Toronto will retain on his deal to offload the majority of the cap hit kind of like how they retained on kessel?

Mar 14, 2015
Lol, relax, new guy.

You're lacking knowledge/facts on the subject, but perhaps you'll learn.

For instance, it might interest you to learn that Zaitsev had 36 points in his rookie year - not bad for a dman. Clearly, he does have some upside as a passer, and he has a perfectly good shot. Care to guess what Tanev's points high is in a year?

The Zaitsev pairing is used to take on the toughest defensive matchups. He's used as a defensive dman from the right side, same as Tanev.

Zaitsev is younger, cheaper (slightly), healthier, has more offensive upside and is used in the same shutdown role from the right side as Tanev. That's why I said that I believe that Benning will want him in return for Tanev.

Care to rationalize your comment of why you think Tanev is "easily 5 times better" than Zaitsev? Should be entertaining if nothing else :)
Zaitsev is a cap dump, he has negative value.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If Tanev is traded to the Leafs, I could see it being for Zaitsev and a 2nd. Perhaps a bit more if the Canucks retain.

That would be a tough pill. Zaitsev's contract is onerous. As a result, it's not something that is valued. To contrast, Tanev is a valued Canuck on a short term deal.

I don't see these players as being in the same class.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Jesus, I knew he wasn't worth nearly what Nucks fans parade around yelling at everyone, but only offering Martin really shows how out of touch with reality they are with Tanev. Guess that includes me for offering a conditional first, that's way too much!
Believing what botch says is like believing cherry when he said to trade Marner for Gudbranson, out of touch. But go ahead and Try and justifying a terrible opinion by using him

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
if you don't want to trade for him just leave the thread, as for injury concerns, it will be drastically lessened by playing on a team with far less travel and far less responsibilities
So he will have less responsibility on the leafs, despite countless Canucks fans proclaiming him as the top pairing right dman on Toronto. Not to mention if he were ever healthy enough to make the playoffs (highly unlikely) he would travel more than with Vancouver, seeing as usually he gets to stay home and watch the team play on TV .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad