Value of: Tanev?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
While the Canucks are having a decent season gotta think the brain trust believe another kick at the lottery can and continue building with the kids is the course. Tanev is having a Meh season but he could really help a team like the TML shore up their D.

What’s the cost?

Personally i’m not really interested in giving up Kap, Lilijgren, Sandin, etc. Happy to give up picks, maybe 2019 1st plus B prospect.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While the Canucks are having a decent season gotta think the brain trust believe another kick at the lottery can and continue building with the kids is the course. Tanev is having a Meh season but he could really help a team like the TML shore up their D.

What’s the cost?

Personally i’m not really interested in giving up Kap, Lilijgren, Sandin, etc. Happy to give up picks, maybe 2019 1st plus B prospect.
So you want a top shutdown guy but dont want to trade anything of value?

Why even make thread

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
From Toronto:
Conditional first (Every 10 games missed due to injury, it drops a round)
Conditional Second (10 games played in playoffs, or it drops a round)

From Vancouver:
Tanev

Works out well for both teams. Leafs get an okay defensive defenceman (Aka a cheaper, slightly worse Zaitsev with worse stats) and Vancouver gets probably 2 3rd round picks for somebody who hasnt been able to stay in their lineup anyways but has also been a disaster this year when he is.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

What’s the cost?

IMO, the cost isn't directly tied to the most future value that can be attained. That's not how Benning works. He targets pieces, first and foremost. That's been his M.O. Rarely, do you see him target picks and lesser prospects. In other words, he doesn't sell, he trades.

This is rather frustrating to Canucks fans. A 1st + B prospect is a good base. Not to JB. He targets and then he waits, just as he had done with Leivo.

Another quirk here is that he not only targets the player, but he targets the vacating position. For example, when attempting to move Gudbranson, he targeted Demers as the return -- another right shot Dman.

Mike Halford (local radio host) tells a story about his conversation with Benning about trading Tanev. Benning's response to the question "well, we would need another Dman back". Halford retorted "you're planning for years out, and you could get a dman elsewhere". Benning again responds with "I think we're going to need a dman back". [paraphrasing] (Last week's radio hit with Botchford)

Long way around, I interpret this to mean that he will target another right shot dman from the trading team. If he gets this player, he makes the trade. If not, he holds onto Tanev. In the case of TOR, I have to think that this player is Liljegren, if anyone. That's where it starts and stops with Benning, IMO.

Courtesy of @The Podium

Tanev (4.45 AAV)
27GP 3Pts
dZS% = 60.7
CF% = 41
CF rel = -8.1
FF% = 41.6
FF rel = -7.6
GA/60 = 2.5

Zaitsev (4.5 AAV)
30GP 2 Pts
dZS% = 58.6
CF% = 46.2
CF rel = -5.1
FF% = 43.9
FF rel = -6
GA/60 = 2.7

What's the sample size of this?

Also, do you have the QualComp/QualTeam numbers handy?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
IMO, the cost isn't directly tied to the most future value that can be attained. That's not how Benning works. He targets pieces, first and foremost. That's been his M.O. Rarely, do you see him target picks and lesser prospects. In other words, he doesn't sell, he trades.

This is rather frustrating to Canucks fans. A 1st + B prospect is a good base. Not to JB. He targets and then he waits, just as he had done with Leivo.

Another quirk here is that he not only targets the player, but he targets the vacating position. For example, when attempting to move Gudbranson, he targeted Demers as the return -- another right shot Dman.

Mike Halford (local radio host) tells a story about his conversation with Benning about trading Tanev. Benning's response to the question "well, we would need another Dman back". Halford retorted "you're planning for years out, and you could get a dman elsewhere". Benning again responds with "I think we're going to need a dman back". [paraphrasing] (Last week's radio hit with Botchford)

Long way around, I interpret this to mean that he will target another right shot dman from the trading team. If he gets this player, he makes the trade. If not, he holds onto Tanev. In the case of TOR, I have to think that this player is Liljegren, if anyone. That's where it starts and stops with Benning, IMO.

What's the sample size of this?

Also, do you have the QualComp/QualTeam numbers handy?

There is zero chance of you getting Liljegren for two years of Tanev. He just isn’t worth that much.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There is zero chance of you getting Liljegren for two years of Tanev. He just isn’t worth that much.

I'm not sure that he isn't worth that much, Tanev is a pretty good dman. However, rather than get into a back and forth on the merits of Tanev versus his drawbacks, which has been done ad nauseum in TOR/Tanev threads before, I am offering a take based upon my read of Benning. That's the guy in a position to actually execute here.

I'm sure you could get VAN posters to agree to a 1st ++ deal. If Benning actually had a proclivity to acquiring high end picks, it would make sense. In reality, Benning cares less about picks than he does about specific players. That's just the way he rolls.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
From Toronto:
Conditional first (Every 10 games missed due to injury, it drops a round)
Conditional Second (10 games played in playoffs, or it drops a round)

From Vancouver:
Tanev

Works out well for both teams. Leafs get an okay defensive defenceman (Aka a cheaper, slightly worse Zaitsev with worse stats) and Vancouver gets probably 2 3rd round picks for somebody who hasnt been able to stay in their lineup anyways but has also been a disaster this year when he is.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Van fan wants

2019 1st + Conditional 2020 2nd for Tanev @50% for duration.

Condition is the 2nd becomes a 3rd if Tanev misses more than 20 games during the 19/20 season.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Van fan wants

2019 1st + Conditional 2020 2nd for Tanev @50% for duration.

Condition is the 2nd becomes a 3rd if Tanev misses more than 20 games during the 19/20 season.

Edmonton would be a interested party at that price.

Klefbom - Tanev
Nurse - Larsson

He seems like he’d be an ideal Hitchcock guy too and our 1st is higher than Tor. It moves Russell to the bottom pairing where he belongs. You can even remove the condition on the 2nd.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Vancouver will try and trade Tanev and Edler for picks as they will want to stock up picks for the home crowd as they host the draft this year.

Problem is Neither is worth a 1st round pick. Probably a 2nd and and a late round pick each.

Edler will finally allow a trade (NMC) as it's his last year in his contract and wink wink wants to resign with Vancouver on July 1st.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Courtesy of @The Podium

Tanev (4.45 AAV)
27GP 3Pts
dZS% = 60.7
CF% = 41
CF rel = -8.1
FF% = 41.6
FF rel = -7.6
GA/60 = 2.5

Zaitsev (4.5 AAV)
30GP 2 Pts
dZS% = 58.6
CF% = 46.2
CF rel = -5.1
FF% = 43.9
FF rel = -6
GA/60 = 2.7

Goals above replacement
2016/17
Tanev 7.7 (GAR/60 0.429)
Zaitsev -3.4 (GAR/60 -0.113)
2017/18
Tanev 10.8 (GAR/60 0.780)
Zaitsev 2.9 (GAR/60 0.131)
2018/19
Tanev -2.1 (GAR/60 -0.217)
Zaitsev -4.7 (GAR/60 -0.438)
Overall
Tanev 16.6 (GAR/60 0.395)
Zaitsev -5.2 (GAR/60 -0.082)

IOW while Tanev is having a down year, he’s been a really good D-man for a long time. Zaitsev has had 1 season where he’s been above replacement level and has been much worse than Tanev this year.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Unfortunately, Tanev is not worth what Canuck fans want. Look elsewhere.

Reactions: TML1990

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So you want a top shutdown guy but dont want to trade anything of value?

Why even make thread

Which top shutdown defenceman are you talking about?

Ignore the Leafs because of the emotional attatchment...what about the Sabres? Would you expect them to give up top young talent for Tanev? Is he really worth a Thompson/Mittelstadt/Pilut type of player? IMO that would be a bad trade for Buffalo.

Reactions: TML1990

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad