Prospect Info: Tampa Bay Lightning prospect rankings 2017- #4

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Higher end potential?

Nope, he's a #3

Dotchin is not very good.

Cirelli at 4 is too high also as I don't see a top 6 player but can be an elite 3C.

Well yeah but Cirelli at #4? #3 C, top 10 prospect, but not #4 overall. Some weird votes being cast. I think Erne is being skipped over for some reason, he has a tweener floor but likely ends up as a power forward on a scoring line.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dotchin is not very good.

Cirelli at 4 is too high also as I don't see a top 6 player but can be an elite 3C.

While I adore your schtick and have said so many times, you are also good at speaking truth to power sometimes. But I think us Dotchin-ites are getting a bit misrepresented here. I (personally) don't think he's a top 4 Dman in the NHL right now. Maybe he develops into that stay at home #3, Hjalmarsson type, but he probably doesn't. He's probably always going to be a guy that can't carry a pairing, but can support a better player on a pair. If he's a guy you can slot into any three pairings with a better player (and let's remember he's a righty - so that means he gets to slot with our better Dmen/Prospects), that allows us as a team a ton of flexibility. We saw it last year. Suddenly we were able to split up Hedman and Stralman, which improved our defensive game by a ton.

So ranking prospects kind of gets tricky then. Is he going to be a better *player* than some of these guys (Raddysh, Erne, Howden)? Probably not. They have more skill, more talent, and certainly more upside. Is he going to be a more important part of our team? Jury is still out, but I would take the RD who can play on any pairing over a middle-six winger, for instance.

It's not easy to "do no harm" at the NHL level. We kind of throw that out disparagingly at guys like Dotchin. But "do no harm" for a 23 year old Dmen playing 20 minutes a night is pretty ****ing impressive to me. So at the end of the day, I may overvalue him - there's an element of judgment and taste to this - but I also think the detractors are getting a little carried away with trying to contextualize his performance.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's not easy to "do no harm" at the NHL level. We kind of throw that out disparagingly at guys like Dotchin. But "do no harm" for a 23 year old Dmen playing 20 minutes a night is pretty ****ing impressive to me. So at the end of the day, I may overvalue him - there's an element of judgment and taste to this - but I also think the detractors are getting a little carried away with trying to contextualize his performance.

Agreed. Kid knows how to keep it simple which is something to be said, not everyone can. Didn't think he looked good when asked to be a top defender in Syracuse but that's not Dotchin, stick him with a better player and he knows how to cover/play his role. He's good with Hedman right now, possibly do very well with Sergachev in the future as well.

Still, considering half his game relies on someone else that doesn't warrant a top-5 prospect position imo.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While I adore your schtick and have said so many times, you are also good at speaking truth to power sometimes. But I think us Dotchin-ites are getting a bit misrepresented here. I (personally) don't think he's a top 4 Dman in the NHL right now. Maybe he develops into that stay at home #3, Hjalmarsson type, but he probably doesn't. He's probably always going to be a guy that can't carry a pairing, but can support a better player on a pair. If he's a guy you can slot into any three pairings with a better player (and let's remember he's a righty - so that means he gets to slot with our better Dmen/Prospects), that allows us as a team a ton of flexibility. We saw it last year. Suddenly we were able to split up Hedman and Stralman, which improved our defensive game by a ton.

So ranking prospects kind of gets tricky then. Is he going to be a better *player* than some of these guys (Raddysh, Erne, Howden)? Probably not. They have more skill, more talent, and certainly more upside. Is he going to be a more important part of our team? Jury is still out, but I would take the RD who can play on any pairing over a middle-six winger, for instance.

In my post draft rankings I had Dotchin 6th, behind Sergachev, Foote and Koekkoek. So I think he's a top 10 prospect. I can see the argument of him deserving to be above Koekkoek and I'm fine with that, be has shown more at the NHL level. I just think guys like Raddysh and Joseph should be above him. Both of them can carry a line, while Dotchin isn't carrying his pairing. I've seen both of them take over games in the offensive zone all by themselves and they have higher ceilings than Dotchin.

I had put Dotchin 6 and Raddysh 7 but I was thinking Raddysh was just eating up the PP for points, which he did but it wasn't as high as I thought so his 5 on 5 was better than I originally thought so bumped him up to 6. I just like guys who can carry the play and take over when needed, I don't see that in Dotchin. He's very good in the do no harm or didn't notice him one way or another type player where he just does his job. Nothing wrong with that but it shouldn't make them a top 5 prospect because those ones should stick out to you a bit more which Dotchin doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad