Tampa Bay Lightning first round pick watch

Fulton44*

Blue have been eliminated. Tampa bay loss in game 6 or 7 and the Flyers will be picking 7 and 21 in round one.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Meltzer says
If the Wings knock out the Lightning, the pick will fall anywhere from the 22nd to 24th overall spot based on the outcome of the series involving the remaining teams with better regular season records than Tampa.

The St. Louis Blues trail the Minnesota Wild by a three games to two margin. The Flyers would get the 23rd pick if both the Lightning and Blues (or Montreal) lose. Meanwhile, the Montreal Canadiens lead the Ottawa Senators three games to two after holding a 3-0 lead in the series at one point. In order to get the 22nd pick, the Flyers would need for Montreal, St. Louis and Tampa all to lose.

So we need Ottawa and Detroit to win to get 22nd overall.

Fulton44*

Meltzer says

So we need Ottawa and Detroit to win to get 22nd overall.

Meltzer knows his **** so Im not doubting it but none of that makes sense to me. If 8 teams lose in the first round wouldn't there picks be between 15 and 22? The Blues had the most points of any team to lose in the first round so if Tampa were to lose why wouldn't they b 21 and 22?

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
Yeah I think he's wrong.

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners are then sorted by points, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.

This would mean that if the Bolts lose this round or next, the worst pick the Flyers would get for it would be 25 (St. Louis being a division winner). The only way the pick would get higher would be if Ana, NYR or MTL lose in the first two rounds. So if the Bolts lose this or next round, the pick would be in the 22-25. 22 if all division winners lose in first two rounds or 25 if Ana, NYR, and MTL all advance with STL being the only div winner ahead of them.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
I like Meltzer, but I am fairly confident that he is wrong. Picks 23 and 24 come from the conference semis.

Fulton44*

The pick should be 21 if Detroit finishes off Tampa. Like I said, 8 teams lose in the first round and they pick 15-22 with the lowest point total teams picking 15, 16, etc through the team with the most points losing in round one picking 22. That of course would make sense and how other leagues do things but the NHL doesn't do much of anything that makes sense so.....

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The pick should be 21 if Detroit finishes off Tampa. Like I said, 8 teams lose in the first round and they pick 15-22 with the lowest point total teams picking 15, 16, etc through the team with the most points losing in round one picking 22. That of course would make sense and how other leagues do things but the NHL doesn't do much of anything that makes sense so.....

From Wikipedia:
The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results.[7] Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners are then sorted by points, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.[6]

Edit: Sorry already posted.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014

That's not how it works. The first 2 rounds get lumped together with the division winners having the highest pick(s) and the non division winners filling in the rest. The last 4 teams then make up 27-30.

Fulton44*

That's not how it works. The first 2 rounds get lumped together with the division winners having the highest pick(s) and the non division winners filling in the rest. The last 4 teams then make up 27-30.
I just think it's so silly how they lump the first and second round losers together in terms of draft order.

So then if Detroit finishes off Tampa the pick is 25 (Since St. Louis had more points and lost in the first round) and then if any of Montreal, NYR, and Anaheim loses in round 2 that would knock down the Tampa pick below 25?

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
I just think it's so silly how they lump the first and second round losers together in terms of draft order.

So then if Detroit finishes off Tampa the pick is 25 (Since St. Louis had more points and lost in the first round) and then if any of Montreal, NYR, and Anaheim loses in round 2 that would knock down the Tampa pick below 25?

I agree I think it's dumb that it doesn't go by order of points in the round you are eliminated.

And yes that's correct.

Fulton44*

I agree I think it's dumb that it doesn't go by order of points in the round you are eliminated.

And yes that's correct.

Thanks for the info. So now in addition to rooting for Detroit to close out Tampa we have to root for the Rangers, Habs, and Ducks to lose in round 2.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Say goodbye to anything good with that pick...

uhh why? even if they win the cup the top 30, especially 20-30 are all about the same level of talent. it's really about getting the exact player you want, not getting scraps. Flyers have one of the best track records drafting in the first round. I highly doubt we don't get a good player with that pick.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well since I was a big fan of the odds with Tampa Bay I just bet them to come out of the East for the cup. Now everyone can thank me when they lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad