Tampa Bay Lightning first round pick watch

Fulton44*

The Redwings are now up 3 games to 2 over Tampa. The Wild are also up 3 games to 2 over the Blues. If both teams hold on and win their series the Flyers pick from Tampa will be 21st overall. The Flyers are going to have some serious options if the pick ends up there as opposed to being the 26-30 range as initially expected.

They could move up into the 15 range and snag someone they liked at 7 who falls. They could stay put and still get a pretty good player like Bittner, Devrusk, Kylington, Chabot, etc. The pick would also have more value should they attempt to move up from 7.

Got to root hard for Detroit and Minny.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've been pulling for Detroit. If they wanted to trade back to 27 or so, could pick up more picks than they would have had otherwise.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I agree. lets hope the Wings can hang on. they've got 2 games now to close it out.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to package either LSchenn or Read + 21st and move up to the 13-16 range. preferably Schenn as we need forwards.

lets hope we have the same success with 2 1sts as we did back in 2003.

Fulton44*

I've been pulling for Detroit. If they wanted to trade back to 27 or so, could pick up more picks than they would have had otherwise.

Yep, that's another option they would have if the pick is at 21 or 22.

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia
so how high can the pick go if TBL looses?....Plus, should we do one for the Blackhawk 2nd round picks? Could get another 2nd for next years if Blackhawks go to finals, but making this year's 2nd lower....

Fulton44*

so how high can the pick go if TBL looses?....Plus, should we do one for the Blackhawk 2nd round picks? Could get another 2nd for next years if Blackhawks go to finals, but making this year's 2nd lower....

IF Tampa loses the worst the pick can be is 22, and the best it can be is 21 (IF the Blues lose their series to the Wild).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Yes, I was thinking the Flyers would be better off if the Hawks lose early and get a better 2nd this year but only a 4th. But then I want Timonen to get to the final so we can get two 2nds and cheer for Kimmo.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
IF Tampa loses the worst the pick can be is 22, and the best it can be is 21 (IF the Blues lose their series to the Wild).

I think it can go as low as 20. Lets say it ends up being that Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, NY Islanders, Vancouver, Nashville lose their respective series. Thats 5 teams after the 14th pick so they would get the 20th, no?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think it can go as low as 20. Lets say it ends up being that Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, NY Islanders, Vancouver, Nashville lose their respective series. Thats 5 teams after the 14th pick so they would get the 20th, no?

Did they change the rules? I thought the only picks that were effected by the playoffs were the last 4 (27-30) which were reserved for the conference finalists. So Tampa after the regular season was scheduled for the 26 pick. So if 4 team from below them made the conference finals, the lowest they could go would be 4 spots lower so 22 overall.

So if Tampa and St. Louis loses, the pick falls to 25. Montreal, Rangers, and Anaheim need to lose next round for the pick to get lower.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Did they change the rules? I thought the only picks that were effected by the playoffs were the last 4 (27-30) which were reserved for the conference finalists. So Tampa after the regular season was scheduled for the 26 pick. So if 4 team from below them made the conference finals, the lowest they could go would be 4 spots lower so 22 overall.

So if Tampa and St. Louis loses, the pick falls to 25. Montreal, Rangers, and Anaheim need to lose next round for the pick to get lower.

This is correct. They seed the last 4 teams left alive, then all other division winners, then all others. Tampa had the most points by a non-division winner, ergo it would be 22nd-26th. Still need to root for the Rangers, Canadiens, Blues, and Ducks to be eliminated within the first two rounds. Whether it is the first or second is irrelevant.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Honestly I'm rooting for Tampa. Heading to Orlando for a week in May so I'm hoping to catch some second round puck live lol

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes, I was thinking the Flyers would be better off if the Hawks lose early and get a better 2nd this year but only a 4th. But then I want Timonen to get to the final so we can get two 2nds and cheer for Kimmo.

So now we need Chicago to win another series to see the pick become a 3rd!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This is correct. They seed the last 4 teams left alive, then all other division winners, then all others. Tampa had the most points by a non-division winner, ergo it would be 22nd-26th. Still need to root for the Rangers, Canadiens, Blues, and Ducks to be eliminated within the first two rounds. Whether it is the first or second is irrelevant.

Rooting for the Rags to lose is going to be hard.:sarcasm:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, I really want to see Kimmo win a cup, but I'm having a hard time rooting for the rest of Chicago. Not for any particular reason, either.

And on the flip side, I kind of want to see Tampa Bay go a little deeper. One, because I picked them to, and B, because they're a fun team to watch when they're on. I know it's bad for our pick, but I can't help how I feel!

SchennSational1022*

**** Tampa! This city is a joke in terms of sports following. I pray Detroit bounces them and we get the 21st pick if ST. Louis loses too. I would like Svechnikov.

Fulton44*

The Wild are up 3-1 with 6 minutes to go. Assuming they hold on we just need Tampa to lose either game 6 or game 7 against Detroit and we get pick 21 from them which could be huge for the Flyers as it gives them several options and if nothing else just a better draft slot then most were expecting them to get when they acquired the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad