Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers 11/17/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm over it. Can't always be perfect. And I'm sure Stralman wanted more money here than he got in Tampa.

The problem is that Glen doesn't seem to really appreciate role players and unsung heroes of the team. He always chooses the wrong player when he deals them or lets them go. Should've (in hindsight obviously) traded Callahan instead of Dubinsky, should've kept Stralman and not Staal, should've kept Boyle and not gotten Glass.

I'm not so sure on that about Stralman. He was always about security for his family and settling down so if we offered the same deal as Tampa, I think he stays. You could just tell by his quotes how bothered he was by the lack of negotiations.

Brian Boyle on the other hand I see it playing a hand in which is why I'm not upset about that. More money in Tampa plus his wife being from Orlando made it an easy decision for him. I'm more bothered by them going out and wasting money on a useless hockey player to fill his spot but that horse has already been beaten.

AHB*

Do remember that there's no income tax in Florida. Boyle and Stralman's deals would certainly have been more if they stayed in NYC.

It's incredibly frustrating that this front office has no appareciation for continuity, though. We lose 3-4 players every offseason. Enough already.

How do you know that, on most accounts I've read, Stralman really wanted to stay, he just wanted the 5-6 year term, which at his age, I wouldn't have really minded giving him.

I realize there's no state income tax, but we have no idea what those players were or weren't willing to take to play here. Boyle and Stralman both liked it here, the fact that we didn't even call them to tell them "thanks for their service" is disgusting, let alone making any sort of offer.

Stralman was so underrated around here and it seems even by the management. People will cry that so many of us want him back still, but he is an absolutely fantastic player that we let slip away for a guy on the tail end of his career and a guy who can't even see out of one of his eyes anymroe.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's ok to be upset. It's not OK to panic.

They were way worse last year. Way worse. It wasn't until Christmas when they started playing consistent.

And I don't buy the "new system" BS. It's a knee-jerk excuse that the media and fans believe, but the reality is the team just sucked last season until they woke up.

Vancouver has a new coach, new system: 12-6-0

Pens have a new coach, new system: 12-3-1

Nashville has a new coach, new system: 11-4-2

Sucking out of the gate has very little to do with "systems" and has more to do with how the players spent their offseason getting into shape and ready, and desire to work harder than the other team.

Teams who come off a cinderella SCF rarely have good starts. They and the winners have the shortest offseason than anybody else.

Richards spend the entire 2012 offseason in a suit and tie and look at his play. He spent the entire 2013 offseason in the gym and he bounced back.

I'm not excusing the Rangers play. I'm explaining it.

Those teams don't play a man to man defensive system, which is why everyone here needs to get used to avs teams starting slowly... Man on man requires a ton of communication and understanding of situation, which develop over time.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Bishop faced, what, two shots that he had to put in some work for? I bet he laughed his ass off after the final buzzer.

Disgusting game.

Vickers8

Come playoff time we will be shaking our heads because we didn't get home ice again, mostly by pissing all these points away at home

AHB*

Those teams don't play a man to man defensive system, which is why everyone here needs to get used to avs teams starting slowly... Man on man requires a ton of communication and understanding of situation, which develop over time.

The system will always be an issue with AV, especially when you're incorporating new players/dealing with injuries. It's very complex.

Hence the reason Vancouver's teams under him were notoriously slow starters.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Bishop faced, what, two shots that he had to put in some work for? I bet he laughed his ass off after the final buzzer.

Disgusting game.

Stopped watching early.

Seemed to be one of "those" games early and only checked back occassionally to see if they found their nut sack.

Was more entertained by WWE (which is a pathetic product today) and by watching my Steelers win on Monday Night.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The system will always be an issue with AV, especially when you're incorporating new players/dealing with injuries. It's very complex.

Hence the reason Vancouver's teams under him were notoriously slow starters.

The Rangers probably have the most complex defensive system in the league. It's unforgiving and ridiculously hard to get a real grasp on. But when they do, our defense is scary good.

The problem is were trying to jam round pegs like Girardi and Staal into square holes here. I actually think Girardi's been real good this season. Staal on the other hand...........dear god. It's almost always Staal losing his man.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Stopped watching early.

Seemed to be one of "those" games early and only checked back occassionally to see if they found their nut sack.

Was more entertained by WWE (which is a pathetic product today) and by watching my Steelers win on Monday Night.

Got home from the game to see the end of RAW with the two Survivor Series teams in the ring. Think the crowd at MSG in the third period was louder than the pops Cena's team got when they came out.

MetalGodAOD*

How do you know that, on most accounts I've read, Stralman really wanted to stay, he just wanted the 5-6 year term, which at his age, I wouldn't have really minded giving him.

I realize there's no state income tax, but we have no idea what those players were or weren't willing to take to play here. Boyle and Stralman both liked it here, the fact that we didn't even call them to tell them "thanks for their service" is disgusting, let alone making any sort of offer.

Stralman was so underrated around here and it seems even by the management. People will cry that so many of us want him back still, but he is an absolutely fantastic player that we let slip away for a guy on the tail end of his career and a guy who can't even see out of one of his eyes anymroe.

Yep. He's made numerous comments about how he wanted to stay in NY and how sad he is that the management essentially never called him back months before he went to UFA. Such a shame.

Sather is an idiot. Let a bonafide young top 4 D-man whos shown success in your coach's system who only wants 4-5 mil a year walk because "you want more offense from your blueline" to sign a 39 year old vet. Classic dinosaur move.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Okay so I got so drunk on my way to the game that I remember walking into MSG and the next thing I remembered was me waking up in a hospital bed. I think I still had a better night than the Rangers.

AA might be a thought.

AHB*

The Rangers probably have the most complex defensive system in the league. It's unforgiving and ridiculously hard to get a real grasp on. But when they do, our defense is scary good.

The problem is were trying to jam round pegs like Girardi and Staal into square holes here. I actually think Girardi's been real good this season. Staal on the other hand...........dear god. It's almost always Staal losing his man.

Girardi is fine. He was good last year after he got it as well. He's a true warrior and a very valuable player, I just pray he can keep it up for most of his contract. Staal on the other hand will never be the same. I kept hoping, but it's over. He's not as physical as before the concussions and since the eye injury his peripheral vision is a serious issue that hinders not only his puck handling in small spaces but him picking up players in the defensive zone. We cannot pay him what he wants. We are going to have to let him go and pray we can find a replacement that's adequate.

Starting to feel like one of "those" seasons.

You mean like last season?

Yep. He's made numerous comments about how he wanted to stay in NY and how sad he is that the management essentially never called him back months before he went to UFA. Such a shame.

Sather is an idiot. Let a bonafide young top 4 D-man whos shown success in your coach's system who only wants 4-5 mil a year walk because "you want more offense from your blueline" to sign a 39 year old vet. Classic dinosaur move.

Couldn't agree more.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
I just get the idea that the team has realized that the regular season doesn't matter until it's playoff time. That's the only thing they are ultimately judged on and they know it.

And they are right.

Plus we are still missing our best player outside of Henrik.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only alternative to our defense today would have been this:

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-Boyle
Moore-McIlrath

That's the only defensive corps that would be cap manageable... is the top pairing that much better, i really can't tell...

I do miss Stralman, but i think what this team is missing is confidence and motivation right now. We've seen them at their best, and they can beat the best teams in the league.

I think the first 20 games of the season are essentially a wash given that every year there will be roster turnover, which involves pulling in new players, and having them learn the system.

The only possible remedy (which doesn't even solve the issue) is to replace Gernander and allow kids in the Wolfpack to come up knowing a man to man defensive system.

beyond that, there will always be slow starters with AV as head coach with UFA's coming in every year. Zone defense is SUPER easy to play, man to man is not.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
And no 1st rounder in a deep draft.

That's Rangers luck right there.

If the Rangers miss the playoffs and win the lottery, I'm not coming to HF from June-October. Or maybe never again.

What a nightmare this place would be :laugh:

And then imagine if the Lightning win the Cup, and Callahan wins the Conn Smythe :biglaugh:

Anyway, Rangers aren't missing the playoffs - so this is a moot apocalyptic scenario.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If the Rangers miss the playoffs and win the lottery, I'm not coming to HF from June-October. Or maybe never again.

What a nightmare this place would be :laugh:

And then imagine if the Lightning win the Cup, and Callahan wins the Conn Smythe :biglaugh:

Anyway, Rangers aren't missing the playoffs - so this is a moot apocalyptic scenario.

#fullborerebuild

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was at the game and close to the action. It would have been closer if they forfeited. They did not even show up. Utterly incapable of winning any battles whatsoever. No presence to speak of. Horrific defensive awareness, if there was any at all.

They are not winning battles as they are even smaller than last year.

So far, Tampa is winning the MLS trade. Not to get into that discussion again. And I stand by my assertions that I would have signed Boyle and Stralman, at the expense of Moore and Brassard.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Idk man, I talked a lot of **** about that trade when it happened, but how anyone can say/imply it was bad for us after that run is just...
Because, at least to me, paying Tampa first rounders' for the privilege of taking Callahan was not a trade that this team could afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad