Tampa Bay being awarded 2018 ASG.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Which is bonkers that they haven't had one. NHL players can bring their kids to Disneyland which would be a win-win for both players and the league.

And its not like they haven't been campaigning for one. They've been pestering the league since the Burke days. They renovated the entire outer terrace, they got a new scoreboard. The only thing more they can do at this point is completely rebrick the walls and redo the flooring.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Which is the same arena as Amalie, so this will now be two ASGs held there. That makes it only the second active arena to have hosted multiple ASGs (Staples has also hosted two) and Tampa one of 8 cities to have hosted multiple times along with Chicago, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, Montreal, St. Louis, and Toronto.

Vancouver also hosted twice (1977 and 1998).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The biggest obstacle is the NHL celebrating their own centennial, and several franchises celebrating their 50th. I think the precedent set for Montreal in 2009 was ******** to begin with, but I can understand why the Leafs would be offended. I would have liked to see Toronto host the draft, I would have paid a lot of money to go to that.

that was one that i think a lot of people wanted. we got the Centennial Classic, which I still think was a cop-out because NBC didn't want to have back to back Canadian teams in the Winter Classic (esp. Toronto as the Host). which fair, I guess.

People keep claiming The World Cup (that no one cares about) - but i think what a lot of people forget, forgot, or ignore - is that the last 2 years was super event heavy for Toronto. Grey Cups, back to back semi-finals for baseball, back to back deep run for Raptors, WJHC, and the whole nine yards. we were tapped out with all the events. That was actually was brought up in regards to hosting the centennial classic. (which is why IMO the Draft would have been perfect - relatively free event for most fans/people who show up if i recall correctly).

the reason why Toronto GOT the world cup was to guarantee some form of income. I don't think it would have done well anywhere to be fair.

I think what most Leafs fans had their nose out of joint was that Montreal DID have everything, and the Leafs basically had 'nothing' (and Chicago - who isn't even celebrating anything gets the Draft. had it been say St Louis or something I'd be okay with it). It will be interesting to see what Chicago/Detroit/Boston/Rangers do for their 100th and how everything gets split though i can hazard a guess that Detroit gets the ASG, Boston gets the draft, and Chicago/Rangers outdoor game.

again to tie it back to tampa and the ASG. i think it would be fun, and it's great. (I'm surprised they didn't do it in vegas).

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The Amalie Arena is a completely different animal than the old venue. Might as well have been blown up and rebuilt, it's completely different.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Which is the same arena as Amalie, so this will now be two ASGs held there. That makes it only the second active arena to have hosted multiple ASGs (Staples has also hosted two) and Tampa one of 8 cities to have hosted multiple times along with Chicago, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, Montreal, St. Louis, and Toronto.

Pretty cool, didn't know that. Good company. While the treatment of employees leaves something to be desired there a LOT of people work really ****ing hard to put on great events there, and the NHL had nothing but high praise for past events (playoffs, finals, media days, etc).

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And its not like they haven't been campaigning for one. They've been pestering the league since the Burke days. They renovated the entire outer terrace, they got a new scoreboard. The only thing more they can do at this point is completely rebrick the walls and redo the flooring.
go back to the Disney logo

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which is bonkers that they haven't had one. NHL players can bring their kids to Disneyland which would be a win-win for both players and the league.

Makes me wonder is being just under an hour from Disney World had any factors with this decision to chose Tampa as one of the places?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Makes me wonder is being just under an hour from Disney World had any factors with this decision to chose Tampa as one of the places?

The league barely gives a **** about itself, you think they're worried about Disney? :laugh:

Had everything to do with remodeling the arena and putting on a great show when the league came to the building in the playoffs and cup final.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can I just say that the NHL gave one big finger to the Leafs? Considering what the habs got, the Leafs got a knock off winter classic and no other event despite applying for everything.

A lot of people said it might be because they'll get things for next year, but it's not looking like it. Toronto hasn't held an event in ages and even if they did, 100 years as a franchise should have had at least some recognition from the NHL especially considering they are one of the highest grossing franchises keeping the NHL afloat.
Last year Bill Daly said Toronto would be "acknowledged by the league for the franchise’s 100th anniversary" and so far that never happened.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/3...ial-anniversary---just-not-with-all-star-game

“We obviously recognize the importance of next year for the Maple Leafs organization and for the National Hockey League,†Daly told Postmedia Saturday evening. “We obviously also understand the importance of the Toronto marketplace to the National Hockey League. Of course we’re going to look at options to appropriately celebrate that importance at an appropriate time. Maybe that’s during the 2017 calendar year.
“We understand the organization’s interest. We also understand the issue. And we’ll work with them like we always have.â€

Plus during the Centennial Classic the only mention of the Leafs 100th anniversary was made by their public address announcer when they were coming onto the ice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
that was one that i think a lot of people wanted. we got the Centennial Classic, which I still think was a cop-out because NBC didn't want to have back to back Canadian teams in the Winter Classic (esp. Toronto as the Host). which fair, I guess.

People keep claiming The World Cup (that no one cares about) - but i think what a lot of people forget, forgot, or ignore - is that the last 2 years was super event heavy for Toronto. Grey Cups, back to back semi-finals for baseball, back to back deep run for Raptors, WJHC, and the whole nine yards. we were tapped out with all the events. That was actually was brought up in regards to hosting the centennial classic. (which is why IMO the Draft would have been perfect - relatively free event for most fans/people who show up if i recall correctly).

the reason why Toronto GOT the world cup was to guarantee some form of income. I don't think it would have done well anywhere to be fair.

I think what most Leafs fans had their nose out of joint was that Montreal DID have everything, and the Leafs basically had 'nothing' (and Chicago - who isn't even celebrating anything gets the Draft. had it been say St Louis or something I'd be okay with it). It will be interesting to see what Chicago/Detroit/Boston/Rangers do for their 100th and how everything gets split though i can hazard a guess that Detroit gets the ASG, Boston gets the draft, and Chicago/Rangers outdoor game.

again to tie it back to tampa and the ASG. i think it would be fun, and it's great. (I'm surprised they didn't do it in vegas).
It was reported in the Toronto Star on February 8, 2016 that the NHL wanted Toronto to host the Winter Classic this past season, however it was NBC who heavily objected to that. It also mentions how Toronto was considered for All Star Game this past season.

The Maple Leafs, at one point, were in the running for the Winter Classic. (It is believed NBC heavily objected.) And they were in the running for the all-star game, too.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...-toronto-during-shared-centennial-season.html

As for the other events you mentioned like the Blue Jays playing in the ALCS in back to back seasons, Toronto hosting the Grey Cup and the Raptors playoff runs, I always contend those shouldn't have had anything to do with the Leafs hosting other NHL events. Only the Grey Cup was known since it was confirmed well out in advance, where as there were never any guarantees of the Blue Jays playing in the MLB postseason or the Raptors going as far as the NBA's Eastern Conference Finals in 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad