Tallon's Team

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
And neither team was sustainable.
The 2012 team won the division with 94 points and a -24 goal differential. They weren’t very good as evidenced by how they finished LAST in the NHL the following season. 2012 was fun with the sunrise express and all, but it was a mediocre team that rode overtime losses to win an all time bad division.

as for the 2015. It’s the same thing. They rode the shit out of that 12 game win streak. Outside of that streak they played at an average 92 point pace.

you keep mentioning the problems caused by the computer boys but fail to mention all the messes of Tallon’s they had to clean up.

Lawson crouse
The ENTIRE 2010 draft, etc

the panthers had premium picks in two of the deepest drafts in history and went 0/4 on first round picks.

the myth that dale tallon was anything other than extremely mediocre as a GM needs to die. It completely falls apart the second you look any deeper than 2 division title.

The 2011-12 team over performed expectations but it still doesn't make sense that just because they didn't do it the 'right' way by your standard that it doesn't count. OTL actually doesn't inflate point totals, it's OTW that does, that's a common misconception. The 2012-13 team finished last because the previous year's team got dismantled, partly due to ownership interference (remember the whole viner divorce thing?), and had some key injuries. That 2011-2012 team played pretty well against the devils team that went on to the finals. So it's not like it was some garbage team.

The 2015 12 game win streak still counts last I checked. And even if they didn't have that long a streak, the season still would have had a good record. We played the Islanders really well that series and trocheck was definitely tripped.

The 2010 draft was pretty bad, not just for us. League wide it wasn't a great draft.

Tallon was mediocre and had to deal with a lot of ownership interference. He's not some devil gm that set this franchise back. That's mostly on the shitty ownership we've had to deal with since the beginning. Don't get why tallon gets so much more hate than the ownership we've had. Even viola wasn't a great owner to start with but it looks like he's learned.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So if you have 10 questions on your math final exam, totally nail 3 of them and blow the other 7, does that mean that because you understood 3, your math ability should be rated high? Geez, I don’t think so.

Tallon had a favorable setup, had the fortune of getting lots of early picks, had enough owner support to turn the franchise around — and didn’t do it. Zito has done more good for the team in one year than all the good Tallon did in 10.

Dale Tallon was just not a good GM on NHL level. He was below average for sure.

Reactions: Beezeral

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
So I posted this because I wanted to have a 20/20 hindsight look at Tallon's draft selections while he was here, but I guess Tallon's draft picks can't be discussed without including his trades and UFA signings.

Everything that needs to be said has been said so far. I think Tallon's tenure can be summed up as a disappointment, no more and no less. It seems for every good trade he made, he also made an equally brutal one. For every smart UFA signing he made there was an equally stupid one. For every successful draft pick he made there was a disappointing bust.

The blame is definitely shared by him, ownership, and the rest of management but after being at the helm for 10 years ultimately the buck's gotta stop with the GM. I'm personally glad he's gone. The Vegas draft was the final straw for me, and the Bobrovsky contract has been just the icing on the cake.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You are only looking at the result and ignoring the extremely flawed process. Two fluky division titles should not mask the numerous critical mistakes tallon made along the way. And why the hell does he get an incomplete? After 5 years he had more than enough time to prove his blueprint and he failed. Numerous bad free agent signings. Numerous blown draft picks, etc.
He gets an incomplete because the most important players on the team were still their early twenties. Who had just started to turned the corner. RIGHT at that moment upper management decides to take control from him. This never happens. It wasn't like this team had been together for 6 years with a core in their prime and kept getting bounced the playoffs.
"You are only looking at the result and ignoring the extremely flawed process. Two fluky division titles should not mask the numerous critical mistakes tallon made along the way". What do care about some people's opinions on the severity of mistakes he may or may not have made, when they didn't impact the final result in a negative way? I can still be pleased or not pleased with what I'm seeing to various degrees with the process. That's up to me.
I mean, if they win a cup, I don't care how the hell they got to it.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
you keep mentioning the problems caused by the computer boys but fail to mention all the messes of Tallon’s they had to clean up.

Lawson crouse
The ENTIRE 2010 draft, etc

the panthers had premium picks in two of the deepest drafts in history and went 0/4 on first round picks.

What? 2010 was a weak draft.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You are correct. Got my years wrong. However. That draft still had tarasenko and kuznetsov right there for the taking and tallon went with bjugstad and howden.

15 teams passed on Tarasenko and 25 teams passed on Kuzy. The Russian factor was still alive back then. Obviously those teams gambled and it paid off, good for them. But this is not a mistake you can isolate to Tallon. Every gm thought that way back then.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
15 teams passed on Tarasenko and 25 teams passed on Kuzy. The Russian factor was still alive back then. Obviously those teams gambled and it paid off, good for them. But this is not a mistake you can isolate to Tallon. Every gm thought that way back then.
No, but what I can isolate on Tallon is that he always picked the big strong player rather than the best hockey player. If he was between two possible players at a pick, he almost always chose the wrong one.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
No, but what I can isolate on Tallon is that he always picked the big strong player rather than the best hockey player. If he was between two possible players at a pick, he almost always chose the wrong one.

There is some merit to that, but I think this is a bit of revisionist history. Some first rounders and 2nd/3rd rounders(which he probably had some input on)that he picked, that were all either short or physically underdeveloped, or both: Huby, Grimaldi, Tro, Borgstrom, Hepo, Denisenko, Hutsko. Two of those guys are top 6 nhlers, another is a bottom 6er, two of them are promising prospects who should play at least a few years in the league. He did not pick the big strong player as much as you're making out.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There is some merit to that, but I think this is a bit of revisionist history. Some first rounders and 2nd/3rd rounders(which he probably had some input on)that he picked, that were all either short or physically underdeveloped, or both: Huby, Grimaldi, Tro, Borgstrom, Hepo, Denisenko, Hutsko. Two of those guys are top 6 nhlers, another is a bottom 6er, two of them are promising prospects who should play at least a few years in the league. He did not pick the big strong player as much as you're making out.
None of that is enough to rescue DT’s reputation in my eyes at least. The bad was so bad, his record is beyond repair.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
None of that is enough to rescue DT’s reputation in my eyes at least. The bad was so bad, his record is beyond repair.

He got derailed after the analytics train arrived. Ultimately he was a victim of his own philosophy that he religiously followed, mainly being too loyal to his own guys. The last couple of years he had come blind with the roster though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad