Sportsnet: Tallon on his summer plans

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Relying on free agency to make a splash and exclaiming it's what they'll do, it doesn't seem to ever work out all that well for GMs.

Reactions: Joel Ward

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Relying on free agency to make a splash and exclaiming it's what they'll do, it doesn't seem to ever work out all that well for GMs.

If they add Bobrovsky and Panarin, they'd be adding a top 10 forward and arguably the best goaltender in the league to a team that lacked top end goaltending, elite scoring and depth, but otherwise has some good pieces. It would absolutely be a gamble, but I think its the right time and right players for Florida to gamble on.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Karlsson, Panarin, Stone, Bobrovsky, Duchene, Skinner, PavelskiSimmonds, Anders Lee, Gardiner, Eberle ...

I don't know man, that seems pretty aight to me.

Safe to assume a quarter to a third are re-signed before July 1st.

And personally, I'd stay the f*** away from Panarin, Bobo and Duchene.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If they add Bobrovsky and Panarin, they'd be adding a top 10 forward and arguably the best goaltender in the league to a team that lacked top end goaltending, elite scoring and depth, but otherwise has some good pieces. It would absolutely be a gamble, but I think its the right time and right players for Florida to gamble on.

Of course. Panarin especially is a damn good player. What I mean is that it's possible neither want to sign there, or the Panthers have to massively overpay for them, right?

So what if they both go to other teams, and they don't get the players they want? There's plenty of uncertainty. Gambling on Free Agency to bolster your team is not a strategy that works well or most of the time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trade Brassard, trade Hoffman, get rid of a goalie.
Sign Panarin+ Bob and that team is set for a long time.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wanna see an offersheet... I love when those get sent out(very rarely happens) and really wish more GMs would do it

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why trade Hoffman?

Cap space+ future assets, and even without him one of the best offenses in the league. With Panarin he's gone after next season.

Sets them up for next season and longterm real well.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Cap space+ future assets, and even without him one of the best offenses in the league. With Panarin he's gone after next season.

Sets them up for next season and longterm real well.

Without Hoffman, and assuming some competent but not outstanding depth is added, I don't think Florida's offence is in the same conversation as Toronto and Tampa Bay, both of whom are divisional rivals. Barring a ridiculous overpayment, Florida should keep Hoffman and take a shot next year if they land Bob and Panarin.

I wonder if the team takes a run at Quenneville if they can land those pieces.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Without Hoffman, and assuming some competent but not outstanding depth is added, I don't think Florida's offence is in the same conversation as Toronto and Tampa Bay, both of whom are divisional rivals. Barring a ridiculous overpayment, Florida should keep Hoffman and take a shot next year if they land Bob and Panarin.

Barkov, Panarin, that's 2 franchise talents in their prime, Dadonov, Trocheck, Huberdeau that's another 3 1st line level players in their prime, now add Borgstrom/Tippett/Heponiemi their top prospects as well there.

Florida could use depth on defense, as they have a weakness there and nothing at prospect pool, and you want to keep the future in mind all the time.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I could see them going for Panarin. I could also see them using an offer sheet if that doesn't work. They're already loaded for prospects, at least up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad