Talking The Avs Ep 12 - “Avs Prospects Talkâ€

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thank you all for listening even though most of you probably had the goalie part on mute...:laugh:
If TV/TMV/Robin/etc. ever think about bringing me back again I want to know how to make a goalie prospect part of the podcast easier to follow along. I'm getting the feeling that the way I talk about goalies is hard to follow along. Apart from GAA and SV% how is the everyday fan supposed to know what to look for?

So IS there anyway to make a goalie part of the podcast more bearable?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I didn't have any gripes with the goalies section, but maybe break it down into a few broader categories that you title and use regularly/consistently to make it easy for folks to keep track of the info?

Like their mentalitaty/resiliency/focus (how well do they put goals behind them and bounce back from bad outings, retain their form when facing little action/coming in cold, etc). Their hockey-smarts (how well are they reading the play/tracking the puck/maintaining some general awareness of their surroundings/etc). And their raw save-making ability/physical-talent?

I'll try to keep this mind whenever I re-listen to this.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It wasn't bad GTG at all, but I think the goaler talk was too late in the show. For the first 40 minutes it was just Tigre talking with the occasional quote from you. Again it wasn't bad by any means, I appreciated all the inside information from both of you, but yeah the talk was a bit too late.

SEPH, you still think Roy thinks we don't need help up front after Tanguay was a healthy scratch? Then tried to use Grigorenko there, and changed his mind about that very quickly?

Who else was up there, Iginla who has been on what is pretty much the 4th line?

I guess I have a hard time imagining Roy does not think we need help, but it's always possible I guess. He had to know winning games off the back of our depth scoring was eventually a recipe for disaster.

That's a good point Mr. Cobra, with Tanguay being a healthy scratch, maybe now could be the time he thinks that Rantanen being called up would be beneficial to scoring. But as we've seen with Roy, its true he isn't afraid to make risks like recalling both Zadorov and Bigras in one sitting. We've also witnessed him not trust the younger players like Grigorenko with top 6 minutes on a consistent basis. That is my reasoning why I can't see Rantanen potentially recalled, and if he is, I would be shocked if he got top line minutes from the get go. Maybe if he performs admirably in the ones he gets if he's called up, I could see Roy giving him more, but thus far he hasn't been able to accomplish that.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it is a trust issue with Grigo... it is a style of play issue. Roy wants Grigo to play a certain way and play that way consistently... if he doesn't, then Grigo won't play.

I think it is more unlikely that Rantanen gets recalled to play on the 3rd or 4th line than getting recalled to play on the top line. With the scoring being what it has over the past month... the Avs are going to look at options to help that issue, I'd be surprised if Rantanen doesn't at least get a look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad