Talking The Avs Ep 12 - “Avs Prospects Talkâ€

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We covered a lot, apologies for being long winded at times.

Goes for the most part

Bigras/Zadorov/D situation
QMJHL
OHL/snuck in Spencer Martin, goalie depth
WHL
NCAA
Europe
Who will be signed?
Top prospects game/draft eligible goalies
Who might get a try out in AHL

I also realized in the course of the podcast that Beaudin is the prospect version of Soderberg.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Listening to this drinking Sailor Jerry's rum on the rocks with a splash of Hazelnut coffee syrup (it's amazing, and cheap as hell)

Great listen guys (and gals), thanks

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Compher is Gallagher 2.0 IMO

Not sure I can buy into the O'Reilly comparisons with Compher's agitating abilities. Gallagher is a great play maker and a great agitator with his size. He makes him self a serious part of MTLs game and energy when hes in the lineup.

I like Gallagher way more than a guy like Tyler Johnson, maybe a more skilled Shaw for Compher could be a good comparison as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't really like ROR as a comparison for anyone, he's too different of a player and then it's always qualified with "he's like ROR except XY and Z" and then it's too far off. I'm sure some player will compare someday but it's a tough one for me. That said, I'm not great at player comparisons anyway.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't really like ROR as a comparison for anyone, he's too different of a player and then it's always qualified with "he's like ROR except XY and Z" and then it's too far off. I'm sure some player will compare someday but it's a tough one for me. That said, I'm not great at player comparisons anyway.

I know you have to have seen Gallagher a bit, you can't make an educated guess on that one? lol

Someone else answer that question!

There really is not much else I can come up with as far as comparisons personally. Compher is somewhat unique like Gallagher is IMO. Hands, smarts, moxy, lack of size... Weird combination lol

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think I said I like the Callahan comparison.

I'm still pretty proud that I figured out Beaudin is the younger Frenchy version of Soderberg. Fits to a T.

It's hard to see Callahan for me I guess, as Callahan is a lot heavier than most guys for his height IMO. Hes a pretty rare bird, and I also have never seen great hands/play-making ability out of Callahan in his years. Hes kind of the ultimate McGinn/Comeau type IMO.

Not highly intelligent, but tries hard enough and has a good enough shot to put up points in and around the net, but does not create much. Callahan has never been a smart playmaker, which is why I have a hard time with that comparison.

If that was the case Callahan would be aging far better than he is now, the guy looks like a 5M Talbot right now for Tampa lol.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
JTC isn't undersized, he's just not big; about Duchene sized. Kid just needs to fill out a little more.

Hes undersized for the game he plays at the NHL level IMO.

Hes going to have to have to heart of a lion to continue to play that way. Which reminds me of Shaw/Gallagher in today's NHL.

Callahan had the weight on his side a little bit, and his sheer tenacity to overcome his actual puck skills.

Compher sounds like hes got legit puck skills and hockey IQ along with that heart. He'll be really interesting to watch when he tires to transfer his game to the pro level IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
JTC's like 5'11" and 195. He's not some smurf.

No one has said hes a smurf, but that's a small guy for an agitator at the NHL level. Which is why I bring up Gallagher personally.

A guy with legit puck skills and play making IQ who engages physically and agitates. There is very few players in the NHL who can do all of those things. The pro level will be a serious test for him as to if he can continue to play his game.

Gallagher is exactly that type of fire spark for his team, and I think if Compher reaches his game at the NHL level hes a good comparison, because there isn't much out there in this era that compares well IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No one has said hes a smurf, but that's a small guy for an agitator at the NHL level. Which is why I bring up Gallagher personally.

A guy with legit puck skills and play making IQ who engages physically and agitates. There is very few players in the NHL who can do all of those things. The pro level will be a serious test for him as to if he can continue to play his game.

Gallagher is exactly that type of fire spark for his team, and I think if Compher reaches his game at the NHL level hes a good comparison, because there isn't much out there in this era that compares well IMO.

Comeau is listed at 6' 195. Callahan 5'11" 190. Parise 5'11" 195. Talbot 5'11" 185. Shaw 5'10 180. Roussel, and Wagner, are all listed at 6' 200. JTC's size is perfectly fine for the game he plays.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Comeau is listed at 6' 195. Callahan 5'11" 190. Parise 5'11" 195. Talbot 5'11" 185. Shaw 5'10 180. Roussel, and Wagner, are all listed at 6' 200. JTC's size is perfectly fine for the game he plays.

We'll see, and I don't believe the listings for Callahan's weight. No way hes under 210 LOL. We'll see I guess

Here is another interesting one, Simmonds is listed at 6'2 183lbs lol, the guy must be a stretched out version of Jean-Claude Van Damme on skates lol

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah not a chance in hell Callahan is under 200.

I would LOVE if Compher turned into Gallagher for us. Outside of the Avs, he's one of my favourite players in the league.

innocuous octopus

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks guys! TV, you mentioned Hepple on the radio a couple times, do you know if that interview is available somewhere?

Jori

Compher is Gallagher 2.0 IMO

Not sure I can buy into the O'Reilly comparisons with Compher's agitating abilities. Gallagher is a great play maker and a great agitator with his size. He makes him self a serious part of MTLs game and energy when hes in the lineup.

I like Gallagher way more than a guy like Tyler Johnson, maybe a more skilled Shaw for Compher could be a good comparison as well.

Good comparison imo.

As for the podcast, I thoroughly enjoyed the feedback on the CHL players. College hockey is more my forte and don't get to see as many Canadian junior games as I would like; so the commentary is appreciated.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We'll see, and I don't believe the listings for Callahan's weight. No way hes under 210 LOL. We'll see I guess

Here is another interesting one, Simmonds is listed at 6'2 183lbs lol, the guy must be a stretched out version of Jean-Claude Van Damme on skates lol

Oh no question a lot of those vets have grown much larger than their initial listed heights and weights.

But that's again sort of my point; a lot of guys started around JTC's size and made it playing that gritty/pesty style, whether it be by bulking up as their bodies matured or making it work at that size. JTC's no smaller than Parise/Talbot/Shaw, and he may yet bulk up to the Comeau/Roussel/Callahan range.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't have time until now to take a listen, so far its been good!!!

- Agreed with Tigre that Avs had to do something after that Lightning game, but I think it wasn't just that game. Weren't the Avs defensively horrible the previous couple of games before? Zadorov's "physical justice", love that quote GTG! :laugh:

- I agree with Mars+Crew that something has to be up with Redmond, he's probably the one most likely to be traded at or around the trade deadline. Or it could be Roy's "philosophy" of copying the Kings with again one DFD and PMD on every line.

- I'm going to have a politician answer, but I wouldn't be shocked if Avs do or do not bring up Rantanen. Based on the history of other teams and their top prospects after the WJC, they normally call up them up. But with Rantanen, Avs are still winning games without him with legitimate productive seasons of Duchene, Soderberg, Barrie, and Comeau. Additionally inconsistent, but timely goalscoring by MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Johnson, Iginla, Mitchell, and Skille have also helped the club win games. Roy might not think that Avs need Rantanen, where he could contribute as Rampages best player in the AHL.

- Hey I was the one who called Beaudin during the training camp podcast! :D Not surprised about his season, his intelligence is off the charts and the single most important aspect I look for when scouting. If you have the brain for hockey, then skies the limit for you because everything else can be improved like skating, stickhandling, and puck skills IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didn't have time until now to take a listen, so far its been good!!!

- Agreed with Tigre that Avs had to do something after that Lightning game, but I think it wasn't just that game. Weren't the Avs defensively horrible the previous couple of games before? Zadorov's "physical justice", love that quote GTG! :laugh:

- I agree with Mars+Crew that something has to be up with Redmond, he's probably the one most likely to be traded at or around the trade deadline. Or it could be Roy's "philosophy" of copying the Kings with again one DFD and PMD on every line.

- I'm going to have a politician answer, but I wouldn't be shocked if Avs do or do not bring up Rantanen. Based on the history of other teams and their top prospects after the WJC, they normally call up them up. But with Rantanen, Avs are still winning games without him with legitimate productive seasons of Duchene, Soderberg, Barrie, and Comeau. Additionally inconsistent, but timely goalscoring by MacKinnon, Landeskog, Grigorenko, Johnson, Iginla, Mitchell, and Skille have also helped the club win games. Roy might not think that Avs need Rantanen, where he could contribute as Rampages best player in the AHL.

- Hey I was the one who called Beaudin during the training camp podcast! :D Not surprised about his season, his intelligence is off the charts and the single most important aspect I look for when scouting. If you have the brain for hockey, then skies the limit for you because everything else can be improved like skating, stickhandling, and puck skills IMO.

SEPH, you still think Roy thinks we don't need help up front after Tanguay was a healthy scratch? Then tried to use Grigorenko there, and changed his mind about that very quickly?

Who else was up there, Iginla who has been on what is pretty much the 4th line?

I guess I have a hard time imagining Roy does not think we need help, but it's always possible I guess. He had to know winning games off the back of our depth scoring was eventually a recipe for disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad