Dreger: Talbot may be willing to accept a trade to anywhere

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Interesting that Pete and the Oilers would handle it this way. Does Talbot even commend any value at this point? Fresh start?

Honestly Talbot has been awful this year. Hes cost himself a lot of money. I know its fun to bash the Oilers, the management is awful, but Talbots a big part of the reason this team has been bad the last two seasons.

I cant imagine he has much trade value, if any. Some team will take a chance on him in the offseason, but like I said, hes cost himself a lot of money.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Im not sure this is breaking news. Everyone around the league knows talbot is a trade deadline move to help free up cap space.

The question is what team will he end up with that can afford to take his salary?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, who doesn't want a $4M+ goalie with a sub .900 save pct.? The Oilers have mastered the art of selling an asset at bare minimum value.
The thing is, I bet that Talbot would flourish behind a more structured system. I think Carolina would be a great fit. Trust me, Talbot was not the main problem in Edmonton.

Phaneufasaurus Rex

Jun 28, 2011
A backup would have to come back regardless in any sort of trade. Hopefully one with a low cap hit and term.

I have a feeling if there was a trade like this available, it would have been made before the extension for Talbot’s sake.
And Talbot is just supposed to continue to sit on the bench knowing he could be out the door any day?

Also I bet there’s a no trade....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Problem is no one except for AHL teams would trade for them.

There have been some struggling expensive goalies teams would trade for Talbot , some with even worse contracts. Like say a yummy Corey Schneider and his 6 Million per year contract for 3 more season after this one.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to do well somewhere else. Guy posted pretty excellent stats up to his second season in Edmonton. Aside from it being Edmonton and a really bad team regardless of who is in net, the most a guy played in a season before Edmonton was 56 games. Then Edmonton played him 73 and 67 games his first two seasons, now he's in the third. Posted pretty excellent stats the first season, declined to bad the second, posting awful stats the third.

Considering 73 and 67 games are crazy workloads goalies shouldn't be asked to do generally, and generally aren't asked to do for that reason, and he went from great to awful in two seasons I think he may just be tired, mentally shaken, and playing behind a bad team. Of course, he's a goalie so I could be wrong. Just saying it seems like a reasonably likely scenario.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mike smith and a 2020 5th rounder.

Come on man...it's Chia...should start asking for the moon and see what he offers....may even let us swap 1st for picking up Talbot if we give him a top 4 D like Stone. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad