Confirmed with Link: Talbot for Stolarz

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
No one is wanting our scraps to clear space.

The only other way we could of cleared space is send guys down and not replace them and then we would just have 12 skaters, 6 d and no extras.

Montoya is done NHL hockey, think he is still injured too, he wasn't an option to have as a backup.

Also yeah I would of loved picks for Talbot to but you have to remember, Talbot had a 20 team NTC and he had 10 teams he could be traded too and none of them wanted him, so we had to find a team he was willing to waive for and get the best we could get. Especially with Talbots contract

In the situation this is a good trade because the other option was to do the above and let Talbot walk in the summer. This way we get a guy we can test drive for the season and if he sucks then we let him walk.

We went from nothing for next year to a maybe.

I didn’t realize Montoya was done for the season. That makes this trade better - I wouldn’t want them to call up Starrett for the rest of the season.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
A 5th round pick realistically has a slim chance of ever playing in the NHL and if he does it is likely 4-5 years from now. Stolarz is 24 and is at the stage of his career where he either takes the next step or he does not. This is a much better gamble given where the team is right now.

Based on his pro career so far, i think the chances of Stolarz taking the next step might be less than the odds of a 4th round pick working out.

My bigger worry is that he has a few good games and the oilers extend him to be next years backup. IMO, wed be much better off for next season finding an experienced backup since Koskinen is a huge question mark.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I didn’t realize Montoya was done for the season. That makes this trade better - I wouldn’t want them to call up Starrett for the rest of the season.
I mean I don't know if he is done for the season but he has been a mix of injured and God awful.
0.879 s% and a 3.09 GAA in the AHL on one of the best teams in the league. You don't bring that up to the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Based on his pro career so far, i think the chances of Stolarz taking the next step might be less than the odds of a 4th round pick working out.

My bigger worry is that he has a few good games and the oilers extend him to be next years backup. IMO, wed be much better off for next season finding an experienced backup since Koskinen is a huge question mark.
He has a career 0.911 s% in 19 NHL games. That's better than most 4th round picks will ever be.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Like many have said
If Stolarz can stop the first and second shots, we come out on top (the trade, not necessarily the game in play lol)
The north/south game isn’t a problem, Stolies east/west (side to side) game could use some work. Stolarz needs to work on his angles and when he’s down low has to keep his glove and blocker up.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
I mean I don't know if he is done for the season but he has been a mix of injured and God awful.
0.879 s% and a 3.09 GAA in the AHL on one of the best teams in the league. You don't bring that up to the NHL.

Sounds like he’d fit in perfectly on our NHL team :sarcasm:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Or he had 12 good games and they give him 4 yrs @ $4.5. We really need Chia to find another GM gig so the Oil can deal some of his stud acquisitions there. Pretty safe bet little Gretz will not be extending an NHL deal to Stolarz.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This was about as good as the Oilers could hope for considering the position they were in and how bad Talbot has been. I’m actually surprised Philly made the trade to be honest.

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
The cap savings and no contract that the new GM has to worry about for next year. There's your win for the Oil. Anything else that Stolarz can give is just a bonus. If he can prove he can be a capable backup going forward, great! If not, no biggie. Plenty of backups out there.

Reactions: MisterD

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
This was about as good as the Oilers could hope for considering the position they were in and how bad Talbot has been. I’m actually surprised Philly made the trade to be honest.

Yeah, as a Philly fan, me too. Doesn't give me much hope for Fletcher. Hextall would have at least gotten a late round pick. We gave up a goalie who has some upside for a goalie who is a UFA at the end of the season and was not going to be resigned by Edmonton, and who helps y'all out with salary.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The good:
  • We're not taking on a garbage contract that extends beyond this year
  • Gives us the cap space we need to bring up Sekera
The bad:
  • Talbot is going to look so much better playing on a better team and we're going to be questioning the move within 2 weeks.
The ugly:
  • We already know deep down inside that Talbot isn't garbage and that we essentially traded him away for nothing just for the sake of getting rid of a player who has legit value so that we can fit a player under the cap whom may never be useful again because our last GM was so awesome with cap management.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Yeah, as a Philly fan, me too. Doesn't give me much hope for Fletcher. Hextall would have at least gotten a late round pick. We gave up a goalie who has some upside for a goalie who is a UFA at the end of the season and was not going to be resigned by Edmonton, and who helps y'all out with salary.

To be fair, Stolarz is likely heading to become a UFA as well, but I don’t see Talbot being much of an upgrade and is significantly more expensive. Hope he does well for you though, seems like a stand up guy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Good luck to Mr. Talbot and his family. One of the nicer guys in pro sports and I wish him well.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Good luck to Talbot and his family. Seems like a competitive guy that really took his on ice performance to heart.

This is the type of trade we need to make though. UFA were probably not going to sign, if we get the same type for Manning Petro Spooner Luc etc I’d be over the moon

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
The good:
  • We're not taking on a garbage contract that extends beyond this year
  • Gives us the cap space we need to bring up Sekera
The bad:
  • Talbot is going to look so much better playing on a better team and we're going to be questioning the move within 2 weeks.
The ugly:
  • We already know deep down inside that Talbot isn't garbage and that we essentially traded him away for nothing just for the sake of getting rid of a player who has legit value so that we can fit a player under the cap whom may never be useful again because our last GM was so awesome with cap management.

Talbot has been crap more than he's been good. He's a backup goaltender with no confidence in his game right now.

Why does everyone say the 16-17 team was a fluke, but then use it to defend Talbot? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I've worked with plenty of good dudes who ducked at their jobs.

Reactions: paul jambon

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Talbot has been crap more than he's been good. He's a backup goaltender with no confidence in his game right now.

Why does everyone say the 16-17 team was a fluke, but then use it to defend Talbot? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I've worked with plenty of good dudes who ducked at their jobs.

Prime Patrick Roy would have a sub 0.900 sav % on this team.
You get used to being hung out and left to dry to the point that you're just conditioned to not give a damn anymore.
Either that or you start suffering from the hockey version of shell shock.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00