Taking Runs at players

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
mikeyp24: this question has so many variables it's hard to answer. You are using the term "making a run" or "running a player". This term could be assumed as a dirty play. Or it also could be deemed as a clean hard check.

Take for instance Werenski has the puck behind the net in a close game and playerX takes him out (makes a run) in what seems like a clean check and he doesn't get up. CBJ players go after playerX. They don't care whether it was clean or not, they are going in to protect their teammate from getting run at.

Fans on playerX's team are saying, Wow, great hit. Better keep your head up son. CBJ fans are upset because Zach is hurt and they claim it's blatant charging and unnecessary and want playerX thrown out of the game for life.

Now take a game like the other night. It's hard to not put this game into the context of your question because it just happened. It's a blowout. The CBJ are getting embarrassed on their home ice. The Oilers are scoring at will and the CBJ are tired of the embarrassment. So they start laying the body on and finishing all of their checks, on all Oiler players. Oiler players jump in and start sticking up for their teammates. They don't care if it's a clean hit or not. They are not going to let the CBJ run our players.

CBJ fans are saying, Wow, it's about time they woke up, where was this in the first two periods. Oilers fans are saying, Wow dirty CBJ players, fake tough guys, can only pick on our skilled guys.

It works both ways. Fans are passionate. They see things differently. Just like posts are interpreted and misinterpreted on this board.

This might not answer your question but it's what I see from game to game and from GDT to GDT.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I got to be honest, how Gaudreau hasn't sustained a major injury at this point is very surprising. He's like 5'6 120, one big hit and he's gone for a century. I don't see how an ahl goon during the playoffs wouldnt just go and take him out.

I'm not saying teams should do that, I'm saying I'm surprised it hasn't happened.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hockey is an inherently hypocritical game, so I wouldn't try to find logic in it.

If the puck is in the crease, you go hard after it until the whistle. If you don't do this, your coach will give you an earful for not competing. If the other team does it, though, it's unacceptable they should be cross-checked in the face. You need to make life difficult for the other team's best players, and play them physically, but the other team isn't allowed to hit your star players. Hockey needs to collectively accept what is good hockey and what isn't and live with it.

Reactions: Joey Banana and Sol

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Again not even about that game. The fight was fine, the outcome was fine I'm just trying to find out other examples to find out what all fans consider running a player. Because the term is used as a dirty thing like trying to hurt people and that's how I would use it but I e seen it used recently like in this thread a guy literally said any time a star player is touched it' dirty. So I'm looking for examples not from that game but other games. It seems like you guys can't get away from that game. Can you think of another game?

Considering the Oilers have been a tire fire for the better part of the last decade, I can think of a lot of instances where the Oilers were completely out of a game, taking stupid runs at players on the other team as a way to vent frustration.

A few years ago the Oilers basically lost every game from mid-November through Xmas. You'll find plenty of examples of guys taking runs at other players for no good reason in there if you really care to know.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I'll post another example to hopefully expand the discussion from just one game. Does Neal "take a run" at Seguin here?

As much as it pains me, I'd say no - that's a perfectly legal check to clear a guy out of the crease who is whacking at the puck. Stars players and fans certainly weren't happy about seeing their superstar center get nailed, but the hit does not qualify as taking a run.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'll post another example to hopefully expand the discussion from just one game. Does Neal "take a run" at Seguin here?

As much as it pains me, I'd say no - that's a perfectly legal check to clear a guy out of the crease who is whacking at the puck. Stars players and fans certainly weren't happy about seeing their superstar center get nailed, but the hit does not qualify as taking a run.

i'd say no, guys in and around the blue paint should expect getting hit.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I know you aren't singling out the CBJ and this thread I only started because I saw people saying taking runs and I honestly just wanted to know other examples and what other fans consider taking runs because it seems the term has changed from just taking bad and unmessasary penalties to prove a point in a game to anytime a player finishes a clean check on a non physical scorer.

Again not even about that game. The fight was fine, the outcome was fine I'm just trying to find out other examples to find out what all fans consider running a player. Because the term is used as a dirty thing like trying to hurt people and that's how I would use it but I e seen it used recently like in this thread a guy literally said any time a star player is touched it' dirty. So I'm looking for examples not from that game but other games. It seems like you guys can't get away from that game. Can you think of another game?

I'm sorry for whatever happened to you when you were little... it wasn' your fault.

So your saying in your opinion taking a run at is just x player playing physical against your best player? I can understand that that's what I'm trying to get here a definition and opinions on what the term means. AGAIN NOT ABOUT THAT GAME it's abiut the term that the game had me start thinking about the term but no one can bring up other examples and keep going back to that game even though I keep trying to go forward.

It's not going anywhere because no one will move past that game and give an example from other games or give a legit explination that makes sense when compared to plays being shown as an example.

I just want to know if taking a run is dirty plays and unmessasary targeting put of anger or if it's your best player having clean hits thrown on them so their fans and teammates don't like it.

I always thought it was dirty but based on oilers fans so far they seem to think it's any time their star players are hit multiple times with clean hits over a game that continues the whole game.

So right now that's 2 completely different definitions and all I want to k ow is if it's clean or dirty for Christ sakes.

The definition of running star players, wether it's dirty, illegal, legal is irrelevant. After a big legal, illegal hit there has been literally thousands of fights in the 100 year history of the game. This is how the players police the game themselves. Our opinions don't matter. Its not a Oilers fan opinion. Its the way the game is played.

No one needs to give you examples of other instances, it happens all the time. Across the entire sport at all levels. You either accept it, or you don't.

And it doesn't stop at star players either. Its all the players that will be stuck up for. If it doesn't happen there will be a toxic atmosphere that will loom in the locker room and on the ice. It will effect that teams performance.

And referees don't call every dirty hit a penalty, doesn't mean is was a clean hit either. Game management happens and the officials might not want to keep putting one team in the box. They don't want to see double digit scores for one side. Its not good for the game. They'll try and let the game play out to the end. If one side starts to run players, especially in a rout, yes it will be considered dirty by some. Not sure why it's surprising.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Considering the Oilers have been a tire fire for the better part of the last decade, I can think of a lot of instances where the Oilers were completely out of a game, taking stupid runs at players on the other team as a way to vent frustration.

A few years ago the Oilers basically lost every game from mid-November through Xmas. You'll find plenty of examples of guys taking runs at other players for no good reason in there if you really care to know.

Please show some examples of that. I'd love to see it. The Oilers also had a reputation of being a very soft and easy team to play against physically that would roll over as soon as they were losing. That's one of the first things that Chia changed when bringing in big players like Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Gryba and the addition of Nurse as a full time player. They Oilers had very, very few suspensions at all during those down years. A few to Sutton for being 6'6", one to Hall for a Charlie horse he gave Clutterbuck. But they didn't have "dirty players who took runs at other players for no reason.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The definition of running star players, wether it's dirty, illegal, legal is irrelevant. After a big legal, illegal hit there has been literally thousands of fights in the 100 year history of the game. This is how the players police the game themselves. Our opinions don't matter. Its not a Oilers fan opinion. Its the way the game is played.

No one needs to give you examples of other instances, it happens all the time. Across the entire sport at all levels. You either accept it, or you don't.

And it doesn't stop at star players either. Its all the players that will be stuck up for. If it doesn't happen there will be a toxic atmosphere that will loom in the locker room and on the ice. It will effect that teams performance.

And referees don't call every dirty hit a penalty, doesn't mean is was a clean hit either. Game management happens and the officials might not want to keep putting one team in the box. They don't want to see double digit scores for one side. Its not good for the game. They'll try and let the game play out to the end. If one side starts to run players, especially in a rout, yes it will be considered dirty by some. Not sure why it's surprising.
I don't think you get what I'm asking... I understand policing themselves and dropping the gloves when you need too... You are associating a player running someone and fighting. I've heard fanbases screaming x player is running our player all night they shouldn't even have a contract they are garbage etc but no fights. You seem to think I care about the Oiler/Jacket game still while I keep clearly stating it just brought the question to my head... I' m last anything in that game I don't see any problems with anything that happened on that game. Just like many pens fans loved the Kas fight I loved the Foligno fight... he fights only when he is beyond pissed and can't take the bullshit any more and has to stand up for himself or his team as seen in that game when he got... I guess ran? ... by Drai and McDavid based on your definition but I love to see guys stand up for themselves too... But that has literally 0 to do with the thread.

Take fighting out of the equation and stick to the running question.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think you get what I'm asking... I understand policing themselves and dropping the gloves when you need too... You are associating a player running someone and fighting. I've heard fanbases screaming x player is running our player all night they shouldn't even have a contract they are garbage etc but no fights. You seem to think I care about the Oiler/Jacket game still while I keep clearly stating it just brought the question to my head... I' m last anything in that game I don't see any problems with anything that happened on that game. Just like many pens fans loved the Kas fight I loved the Foligno fight... he fights only when he is beyond pissed and can't take the bull**** any more and has to stand up for himself or his team as seen in that game when he got... I guess ran? ... by Drai and McDavid based on your definition but I love to see guys stand up for themselves too... But that has literally 0 to do with the thread.

Take fighting out of the equation and stick to the running question.

I think your question has been answered several times in your thread.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I think your question has been answered several times in your thread.
I honestly looked at notifications and it took me to your response I missed the others actual responses that actually made sense to the topic.

I think I follow now. I honestly always thought it was a legit dirty thing I never took it as it having a double meaning. I just have heard people say the CBJ have taken runs in other games and it didn' make sense because they are clean hard checks but it's just the other team upset in the situation. Totally follow now.

Maybe it's more of a taking liberties that is the dirty actions or would you say same term just dofferent wording? I mean I've followed hockey about 20 years but not extremely close until the jackets entered and I didn't grow up playing I played baseball but I mean I didn't play football or basketball and I understand the language like Info with hockey but I guess this term I just never thought past thinking it just meant dirty because I never heard it said positively. I'd agree this is answered now.

Thanks to Byrral for that explination that helped big time.

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
That worked out well for the oilers last post season

Yep, it often backfires and is quite silly as far as unwritten rules go.

But you've got to be consistent. Can't defend your team 'running up the score' while lamenting the fact their opponents continue to [gasp] play physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad