Taking Runs at players

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
What exactly do people even consider taking runs these days. It used to be when guys needlessly hit late, boarded, interfered with and they were unmessasary and penalties. Now I see people complaining just because skilled guys have checks cleanly thrown at them multiple times in a game. Generally there has to be something against the rules happening IMO. Example was Dubi was accused of taking runs at the end of the game vs the oilers with 0 penalties being called.

This is NOT a thread about that situation just more so in a game that's beautiful for its physicality I just can't understand how people can complain about clean hits because their players aren't physical and just don't adapt to the playstyle.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Taking runs can mean many things.

When losing 7-2 and your running around looking for ‘big’ hits late in the game. That is an example of ‘taking runs’.

Also resulted in a broken Dubi face, with no extra penalty (as there shouldn’t have been).

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
You play hockey until somebody has a 3-4 goal lead. Then you stop playing hockey.

It's the code, man.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Since the dawn of the game, taking liberties on one teams best players has been considered dirty. Doesn't have to be a illegal hit. Just the fact that teamates will want to "protect" not just the player, but the whole teams success.

So if someone is running, slashing, or other cheap infractions against the teams best players, they should and most likely will face consequences.

Dropping the gloves is a age old tradition in this league of evening up the score and changing the way the other player or team is playing.

If not, then what happens?

Just more dirty plays and it starts to balloon and get out of control. Also retaliatory actions will be taken. Then the possibility of serious injuries can happen.

I'm not sure why this is not understood by some. A teams success relies on their best players not being injured or just banged up. The enforcer still has a place in the NHL, though they are a lot more talented than past generations "goons".

Any physical contact on one teams best players will always be considered cheap.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

When losing 7-2 and your running around looking for ‘big’ hits late in the game. That is an example of ‘taking runs’.

Also resulted in a broken Dubi face, with no extra penalty (as there shouldn’t have been).
Agreed Dubis face break wasn' a penalty I don't even know how that could be a penalty I don't know why you would say that.

I don't know why you should stop trying and finishing a clean hit when losing whether it's down 1 or 4 though. That shouldn't be considered dirty or taking a run that should just be considered professional and giving you all. Again as long as clean.
You play hockey until somebody has a 3-4 goal lead. Then you stop playing hockey.

It's the code, man.
What if the ducks did that in the playoffs last year down 3? You can't stop playing just because you are down. As long as you aren't breaking and rules and committing penalties playing the whole game should be expected from every team. Do you want your team quitting on you after being down 4?
Since the dawn of the game, taking liberties on one teams best players has been considered dirty. Doesn't have to be a illegal hit. Just the fact that teamates will want to "protect" not just the player, but the whole teams success.

So if someone is running, slashing, or other cheap infractions against the teams best players, they should and most likely will face consequences.

Dropping the gloves is a age old tradition in this league of evening up the score and changing the way the other player or team is playing.

If not, then what happens?

Just more dirty plays and it starts to balloon and get out of control. Also retaliatory actions will be taken. Then the possibility of serious injuries can happen.

I'm not sure why this is not understood by some. A teams success relies on their best players not being injured or just banged up. The enforcer still has a place in the NHL, though they are a lot more talented than past generations "goons".

Any physical contact on one teams best players will always be considered cheap.
Just to answer a few of these points I love fighting in the game because it deters cheap play and taking illegal shots at your stars. I believe there is still a place on the league for enforcers even of less skill varieties.

I am confused as what you mean by liberties though. I consider liberties like a boarding, slash, cross check, clear interference just to drop a guy, stuff that will put you in the box. Finishing a check on front of the ref that doesn't get a second look imo is not a liberty.

I COMPLETELY disagree that playing physical with a star is dirty that to me is worse then something like soccer diving. Example Foligno came out of the box and immediately hit Drai with a nice clean check into the boards. Puck goes to Nuti and Drai drops him. Fligs goes back and his Drai again because the puck is right there clean but Foligno loses his balance and falls after that. Then Drai cross checks Foligno, McDavid who wasn't involved cross checks Foligno in the head knocking off his helmet (something Dubi did to Crosby on accident and got suspended I'm pretty sure.), then Folingo comes up after taking 2 cross checks while on the ice and 1 being to the head and goes after the 2 guys that did it and a player jumps in to fight him so his star line Mates wouldn't have to which is great he should do that it's his role. But Foligno by EDM fans was the guy taking liberties (though only clean hits and he got cross checked in the head) and accused of being a bully and fake tough guy because a guy grabbed him to fight literally skating from outside the play grabbing him from behind and starting the fight. I personally thought though whole play was just classic hockey and nothing dirty going on at all. Not Kassian or jar jar or any of it. I just don't get how those players are accuses of being dirty or running players when not one penalty was called for it.

And Foligno is our captain and would be considered our player so why is it ok for Drai and McDavid cross checking him on the ground taking liberties and running and playing dirty? Because he's not on a Canadian team or generational? It just seems hypocritical.

Reactions: Vertain

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Agreed Dubis face break wasn' a penalty I don't even know how that could be a penalty I don't know why you would say that.

I don't know why you should stop trying and finishing a clean hit when losing whether it's down 1 or 4 though. That shouldn't be considered dirty or taking a run that should just be considered professional and giving you all. Again as long as clean.

What if the ducks did that in the playoffs last year down 3? You can't stop playing just because you are down. As long as you aren't breaking and rules and committing penalties playing the whole game should be expected from every team. Do you want your team quitting on you after being down 4?

Just to answer a few of these points I love fighting in the game because it deters cheap play and taking illegal shots at your stars. I believe there is still a place on the league for enforcers even of less skill varieties.

I am confused as what you mean by liberties though. I consider liberties like a boarding, slash, cross check, clear interference just to drop a guy, stuff that will put you in the box. Finishing a check on front of the ref that doesn't get a second look imo is not a liberty.

I COMPLETELY disagree that playing physical with a star is dirty that to me is worse then something like soccer diving. Example Foligno came out of the box and immediately hit Drai with a nice clean check into the boards. Puck goes to Nuti and Drai drops him. Fligs goes back and his Drai again because the puck is right there clean but Foligno loses his balance and falls after that. Then Drai cross checks Foligno, McDavid who wasn't involved cross checks Foligno in the head knocking off his helmet (something Dubi did to Crosby on accident and got suspended I'm pretty sure.), then Folingo comes up after taking 2 cross checks while on the ice and 1 being to the head and goes after the 2 guys that did it and a player jumps in to fight him so his star line Mates wouldn't have to which is great he should do that it's his role. But Foligno by EDM fans was the guy taking liberties (though only clean hits and he got cross checked in the head) and accused of being a bully and fake tough guy because a guy grabbed him to fight literally skating from outside the play grabbing him from behind and starting the fight. I personally thought though whole play was just classic hockey and nothing dirty going on at all. Not Kassian or jar jar or any of it. I just don't get how those players are accuses of being dirty or running players when not one penalty was called for it.

And Foligno is our captain and would be considered our player so why is it ok for Drai and McDavid cross checking him on the ground taking liberties and running and playing dirty? Because he's not on a Canadian team or generational? It just seems hypocritical.
You say there should be an instigator on the Dubi fight and then proceed to say there should be no penalty?
And foligno got that response cause he tried to hit draisaitl up high when he didn’t even have the puck as a retaliatory hit

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You say there should be an instigator on the Dubi fight and then proceed to say there should be no penalty?
And foligno got that response cause he tried to hit draisaitl up high when he didn’t even have the puck as a retaliatory hit
Instigator only because he came to the dot immediately for nothing other then to start a fight and then held on to him until he agreed to fight. That's why the rule was made. But you can have an instigator and have willing fighters and have a fight that while fighting wasn't against the rules. The fight was fine and the reason for the fight was fine just the way it was started was a 2 minute penalty it's not a big deal just an opinion.

And he didn't hit him high though and there's no reason to assume he was trying to. So because a player assumes a player meant to do something he may or may not habe tried to do that's considered taking a run? But a guy making a clean hit with the ref right there and then 2 guys cross checking a playet on the ground in the head knocking his helmet of... not taking liberties or a run?

I'm just trying to figure out what's the actual definition of taking a run. Tale that game out of it and having the homer opinion think of a game without those 2 teams. Give me examples of taking a run so I can figure out what's the difference between that and then fans just getting upset a team plays physical and their team is finess. It's like every pens game where they get hit by a Patrick Kane style big hitter and it's like there are 30 teams in the league of 23 goons each and then you have the clean pens who don't cut off fingers and never get suspended.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
I don't think anyone can watch that game and say that Foligno and Dubinsky weren't running around trying to hurt someone. No one says you have to stop hitting or playing with an edge in a blowout. But you do need to respect other players safety.
And the McDavid cross check to the "head" was clearly on the side of his shoulder. No need to exaggerate to try to make your case.
Also, Foligno fell right before the attempted cross check. McDavid also fell forward while he was cross checking. So there was never any intent to target his head.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't think anyone can watch that game and say that Foligno and Dubinsky weren't running around trying to hurt someone. No one says you have to stop hitting or playing with an edge in a blowout. But you do need to respect other players safety.
And the McDavid cross check to the "head" was clearly on the side of his shoulder. No need to exaggerate to try to make your case.
Also, Foligno fell right before the attempted cross check. McDavid also fell forward while he was cross checking. So there was never any intent to target his head.
But can you show me something showing that. You don't know anything Foligno if you think that. The guy just won 2 awards bases on sportsmanship for Christ sakes and is constantly doing charity and make a wish type stuff. He has way to much respect for the game as well as the players on the ice being a 2nd generation guy. Dubi plays with an edge so even though untrue I get.

But show me these runs. And like I said in other games not cbj-edm... why is it taking runs or trying to injure when there is 0 penalties called... it seems like it's just fans of teams with high end players who arent physical. Ala crosby and McDavid.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
But can you show me something showing that. You don't know anything Foligno if you think that. The guy just won 2 awards bases on sportsmanship for Christ sakes and is constantly doing charity and make a wish type stuff. He has way to much respect for the game as well as the players on the ice being a 2nd generation guy. Dubi plays with an edge so even though untrue I get.

But show me these runs. And like I said in other games not cbj-edm... why is it taking runs or trying to injure when there is 0 penalties called... it seems like it's just fans of teams with high end players who arent physical. Ala crosby and McDavid.
I watched the game. Unfortunately, can't find any clips. Foligno threw an elbow and was penalized for it. Dubinsky was taking full out runs(which should have been called charging) a couple times.
I'm not saying Foligno is a dirty player. Dubinsky is. The problem was that they were both throwing temper tantrums after getting blown out.
I'm also not singling out Columbus. Lots of players take runs for no reason. It just so happens that the most recent occurance was the Oiler-Jacket game.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I totally understand why players like Dubinsky and Foligno were trying to remain physical. It's not hard to see that they're trying to be leaders, showing their teammates/coach that they weren't quitting on a game even though the game was clearly out of hand as they were down 5 late in the third period. It was their choice to play that way.

Kassian felt like they took things a little too far, stepped in and challenged one of them to the fight.

It was a scenario that has played itself out countless times in the NHL.

The end result was unfortunate, but then again if you want to play stupid games, you may end up winning stupid prizes.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

A true old school NHL moment. Beautiful in it's primeval essence!

But yeah, the above is a good example. Taking runs can be an effort to injure or just an effort to stir things up.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Jesus, this whole thread is basically failing to acknowledge that CBJ did anything wrong, they got bunch of fake tough guys on that team trying to please that f***ing tool Tortorella.. Dubitchnsky didn't "accidently" cross check Crosby on the neck and continued to cross check him even when he was laying on the ice hurt and NO he wasn't suspended for it. Dubitchnsky is a punk plain n simple, he deserved that beating he got yesterday. Foligno needs a beating too in a bad way also. Hopefully the two douches will think twice before running guys like Draisaitl and Mcdavid when the game is out of hand.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Mikeyp24, forget about the last game.

Face it, what you think doesn't matter to NHL, AHL, ECHL, Junior hockey players. It even goes down further than that to rec leagues and kids leagues too. This mentality has been in the game forever, it's "never changed".

And fans don't want to see their favorite and teams best players getting hurt or injured. So your going to hear them say that guy is playing cheap or dirty against them.

What's so hard to understand about that?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If I was in the NHL, I would be taking runs every day, and even give Chara a sneak peak at my hands.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Don't go after McDavid and Drai and you won't get your face broken. Simple.

How dare these professional hockey players that get paid to play 60+ minute games go after these 6+ foot 200/+ pound guys. Oh but it was a blowout. Maybe McDavid and Drai should have just sat on the bench and not tried to score any more goals either. Simple.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
How dare these professional hockey players that get paid to play 60+ minute games go after these 6+ foot 200/+ pound guys. Oh but it was a blowout. Maybe McDavid and Drai should have just sat on the bench and not tried to score any more goals either. Simple.
how dare these professional hockey players that get paid to play 60+ minute games try to score goals

CBJ is a good team capable of scoring goals, why in hell would a team with a backup in net let up

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I watched the game. Unfortunately, can't find any clips. Foligno threw an elbow and was penalized for it. Dubinsky was taking full out runs(which should have been called charging) a couple times.
I'm not saying Foligno is a dirty player. Dubinsky is. The problem was that they were both throwing temper tantrums after getting blown out.
I'm also not singling out Columbus. Lots of players take runs for no reason. It just so happens that the most recent occurance was the Oiler-Jacket game.
I know you aren't singling out the CBJ and this thread I only started because I saw people saying taking runs and I honestly just wanted to know other examples and what other fans consider taking runs because it seems the term has changed from just taking bad and unmessasary penalties to prove a point in a game to anytime a player finishes a clean check on a non physical scorer.

I totally understand why players like Dubinsky and Foligno were trying to remain physical. It's not hard to see that they're trying to be leaders, showing their teammates/coach that they weren't quitting on a game even though the game was clearly out of hand as they were down 5 late in the third period. It was their choice to play that way.

Kassian felt like they took things a little too far, stepped in and challenged one of them to the fight.

It was a scenario that has played itself out countless times in the NHL.

The end result was unfortunate, but then again if you want to play stupid games, you may end up winning stupid prizes.
Again not even about that game. The fight was fine, the outcome was fine I'm just trying to find out other examples to find out what all fans consider running a player. Because the term is used as a dirty thing like trying to hurt people and that's how I would use it but I e seen it used recently like in this thread a guy literally said any time a star player is touched it' dirty. So I'm looking for examples not from that game but other games. It seems like you guys can't get away from that game. Can you think of another game?

Jesus, this whole thread is basically failing to acknowledge that CBJ did anything wrong, they got bunch of fake tough guys on that team trying to please that ****ing tool Tortorella.. Dubitchnsky didn't "accidently" cross check Crosby on the neck and continued to cross check him even when he was laying on the ice hurt and NO he wasn't suspended for it. Dubitchnsky is a punk plain n simple, he deserved that beating he got yesterday. Foligno needs a beating too in a bad way also. Hopefully the two *****es will think twice before running guys like Draisaitl and Mcdavid when the game is out of hand.
I'm sorry for whatever happened to you when you were little... it wasn' your fault.

Mikeyp24, forget about the last game.

Face it, what you think doesn't matter to NHL, AHL, ECHL, Junior hockey players. It even goes down further than that to rec leagues and kids leagues too. This mentality has been in the game forever, it's "never changed".

And fans don't want to see their favorite and teams best players getting hurt or injured. So your going to hear them say that guy is playing cheap or dirty against them.

What's so hard to understand about that?
So your saying in your opinion taking a run at is just x player playing physical against your best player? I can understand that that's what I'm trying to get here a definition and opinions on what the term means. AGAIN NOT ABOUT THAT GAME it's abiut the term that the game had me start thinking about the term but no one can bring up other examples and keep going back to that game even though I keep trying to go forward.

It goes both ways my friend.

This thread is going to go nowhere fast. Time to end it.
It's not going anywhere because no one will move past that game and give an example from other games or give a legit explination that makes sense when compared to plays being shown as an example.

I just want to know if taking a run is dirty plays and unmessasary targeting put of anger or if it's your best player having clean hits thrown on them so their fans and teammates don't like it.

I always thought it was dirty but based on oilers fans so far they seem to think it's any time their star players are hit multiple times with clean hits over a game that continues the whole game.

So right now that's 2 completely different definitions and all I want to k ow is if it's clean or dirty for Christ sakes.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Don't go after McDavid and Drai and you won't get your face broken. Simple.
What does this have to do with the topic... literally not 1 CBJ fan is upset at how that happened or is complaining about it or wants punishment for it etc...

I just want to try and get a board wide answer from fans on what the term running a player means... is it dirty or clean... Oilers fans say clean mean while I thought it was dirty.

Any other fan base/have any non oiler or CBJ examples?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
If it's a big, clean check on my team's guy then it's taking a run and your player is a piece of shit.
If it's a big, clean check on the other team's guy then it's just good hockey and my player is being a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad