Taking intentional penalties with 10s left in OT?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
One thing whenever I watch hockey I don't get is when there is ~10 seconds left in OT and the puck is in your own zone why don't players just grab on to another player, what the worst thing that can happen you get called for a penalty or 4?

Is there a rule stopping a team from taking penalties on purpose with little time left?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
There is no rule, and I notice an increase in infractionable behaviour during this period.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There is no rule, and I notice an increase in infractionable behaviour during this period.

I am talking about going for an all out grabbing a player, or slashing another player's stick penalty

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
I've never seen anything too obviously blatant. I don't think most players would be inclined to just stop playing by the rules. Also winning is everything sure - but you wouldn't exactly gain tons of respect around the league by doing that.

Also, if it did become a problem, or even just one ridiculous instant, I'm assuming a Leggio style rule change pretty quickly

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The NHL may need to look at this soon. If at least 50 percent of the time cannot be served in the remaining time on the clock, the game clock shall be reset back to 2 or 5 minutes, depending on the type of penalty.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The game should extend until all penalties are expired.

I like this rule. People can not take penalty with not much tine left on the clock. You have to serve your full penalty or until the other team score.

I like that rule too, but maybe only for penalties taken in the final 30 seconds of OT, to avoid having people taking dumb penalties.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
The NHL may need to look at this soon. If at least 50 percent of the time cannot be served in the remaining time on the clock, the game clock shall be reset back to 2 or 5 minutes, depending on the type of penalty.

So much for analytics and corsi and tracking ice time etc.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One thing whenever I watch hockey I don't get is when there is ~10 seconds left in OT and the puck is in your own zone why don't players just grab on to another player, what the worst thing that can happen you get called for a penalty or 4?

Is there a rule stopping a team from taking penalties on purpose with little time left?

I remember a game probably 5 years ago in Detroit, where the Flames were up a goal in the final minute, and with about 10 seconds to go Zetterberg beat Giordano to the net and got a cross-crease pass from Datsyuk to tie the game up. I was pulling my hair out the whole time wondering why Gio didn't just tackle Zetterberg when he saw he was going to get beat. It's ethically awful, of course, but from a practical perspective it is just common sense.

I guess the ultimate example of this kind of thing in the world of sport is Luis Suarez' handball in injury time vs. Ghana in the South Africa World Cup. For that act, despite it being the reason his team advanced, he was vilified.

RA9

Dec 30, 2009
I remember a game probably 5 years ago in Detroit, where the Flames were up a goal in the final minute, and with about 10 seconds to go Zetterberg beat Giordano to the net and got a cross-crease pass from Datsyuk to tie the game up. I was pulling my hair out the whole time wondering why Gio didn't just tackle Zetterberg when he saw he was going to get beat. It's ethically awful, of course, but from a practical perspective it is just common sense.

I guess the ultimate example of this kind of thing in the world of sport is Luis Suarez' handball in injury time vs. Ghana in the South Africa World Cup. For that act, despite it being the reason his team advanced, he was vilified.

Exact same thing I was thinking of when I saw this thread, I think it was lidstrom not zetterberg but I'm not sure. Anyways I was screaming for gio to hack at his wrists cause that would've been a huge win.

I think the term you guys are looking for is professional foul, a foul that's necessary to take to win or help your team.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I like that rule too, but maybe only for penalties taken in the final 30 seconds of OT, to avoid having people taking dumb penalties.

Eh, I think people would then argue about the clock. There's always a delay after the referee blows his whistle and the clock actually being stopped.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Like when Gaborik tied up game one vs the Ducks. I was going nuts like why didn't Bryan Allen not just grab on to him with 7 seconds left or just crumble his twig.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
So much for analytics and corsi and tracking ice time etc.

Well it's not like penalties being taken late in the game is really an issue that needs to be dealt with, but if it were: any penalty taken in the last 10 seconds of a game immediately result in a penalty shot. No timekeeping issues, everyone plays nice near the end.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I've never seen anything too obviously blatant. I don't think most players would be inclined to just stop playing by the rules. Also winning is everything sure - but you wouldn't exactly gain tons of respect around the league by doing that.

Also, if it did become a problem, or even just one ridiculous instant, I'm assuming a Leggio style rule change pretty quickly
I figure the guys know that it not worth it to screw around with a few seconds left for just a point. You might not play that team all that often but you get the same referees often enough, and they remember your BS. It probably something to keep a eye for at the end of the season when some teams really can't afford to lose a point.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I've thought about this, too. Why not in the dying seconds of a close game does the leading team just wrap up everyone and hold them. Or, if you're team is tired at the end of a close game, just keep taking face off infractions to give everyone rest. You see players sometime do it by breaking their stick to get a new one and cause a small delay. Heck, you could even have a goalie act like Pavalec and just collapse on the ice and pretend to have a health issue to stop play entirely for 20+ minutes.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Suarez was given a red card and tossed, as well as suspended for the next game, so he got punished. Smart move by him overall.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I've thought about this, too. Why not in the dying seconds of a close game does the leading team just wrap up everyone and hold them. Or, if you're team is tired at the end of a close game, just keep taking face off infractions to give everyone rest. You see players sometime do it by breaking their stick to get a new one and cause a small delay. Heck, you could even have a goalie act like Pavalec and just collapse on the ice and pretend to have a health issue to stop play entirely for 20+ minutes.

Or you could take your mask off to cancel a goal a la Cam Ward.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure I've seen some teams when up a goal take a penalty near the end of the game because it's easier to kill the clock on a PK if you're a solid PK team.

I mean how much time is run down if you can win the faceoff and send it down to their end. Send in one forward to forecheck to slow down the return volley, set up the diamond, force the cycle and perimeter shot for a cover. Repeat. There is some risk, but when you consider that some teams are absolutely atrocious on the PP and others are spectacular on the PK, makes sense to have the ability to freely ice the puck to kill the clock.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Well, Roger Neilson I suppose did try something similar: he'd intentionally send extra men on to the ice to play defense. Then the NHL changed the rule to make it a penalty shot after the first 2 made it a 5-on-3.

I imagine if this became a widespread tactic, the NHL might create a rule just to negate it.

I do think that if a player is in the penalty box at the conclusion of OT he should be ineligible for the shootout. :dunno:

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Well, Roger Neilson I suppose did try something similar: he'd intentionally send extra men on to the ice to play defense. Then the NHL changed the rule to make it a penalty shot after the first 2 made it a 5-on-3.

I imagine if this became a widespread tactic, the NHL might create a rule just to negate it.

I do think that if a player is in the penalty box at the conclusion of OT he should be ineligible for the shootout. :dunno:

Not enough punishment. The best solution is to disregard the clock and the penalized player has to serve the full 2 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad