take your helmet with visor off when you fight

00Sarge

Aug 7, 2017
Oshawa
I miss the good ol days as well when enforcers policed the game and nobody ever took cheep-shots ever. Enforcers made sure that things never escalated or got out of hand. And most importantly, they NEVER took cheep-shots themselves. Now they are gone and there is literally NOBODY on the ice who has the job to properly referee a hockey game.

I love a good hockey scrap as much as the next guy..
I even loved the Domi/Probert staged scraps.
But, I still do not believe fighting curbs cheap shots.

Simple reason... for every tough guy out there who's job it is to scrap anyone who lays out a cheap shot, there is a corresponding tough guy protecting the guy who laid out a cheap shot.
So.. Player A cheap-shots player B, resulting in player C fighting player D !!

Prime example.
Bobby Clarke.
One of the dirtiest player I ever have ever seen, frequently delivered cheap shots.
Was he worried about payback??? Heck no, he had an entire team of tough guys protecting him.

When you hear pros talk about having a tough guy in the room made them feel an inch taller, it's because they knew they had an answer for the other teams goon.

I've yet to meet or see a 'dirty player' who actually stops being dirty our of fear of retribution.

Of course the league is becoming more 'passive'.
I used to lament the 'pacification' of the league... But I'm a parent now.. Funny how attitudes change!!
Medical science (best example is concussions) is teaching us just how dangerous some sports injuries can be, and it IMO would be just stupid to continue to lament the lack of violence in the league these days. Health is simply more important.

2 guys punching each other in the head...

Entertaining yes (I'd be a liar if I denied I enjoy a scrap), but stupid... Stupid, stupid, stupid...

And.... To this day I chuckle at the NHL rule book.
They have rules written against "intent to injure"..
But for some reason, punching a dude in the head in not seen as an intent to injure!!!

Reactions: W75

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
All well and good in theory but most likely results in a weaker solution that makes it susceptible to coming off from pucks/hits etc
Yep. Player safety won't be risked because of fighting.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Maybe if players cant shed their helmets/visors for fights, they should use their sticks to fight? Its wayyyyyy less wimpy to fight with helmets on if you are hitting each other with composite sticks than with fists.

Reactions: W75

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
When was the visor rule implemented?

I know Jamie Benn was grandfathered in, he's one of the few who doesn't bother with it; anyone playing prior to the rule can go without if they so choose.
I believe anyone drafted after 2009 has to wear a visor. I know ROR was the last/youngest Avs player to choose to not wear one.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
really?
then bettman and league are morons... they want to see players hands cut up ??

their logic is they'd rather have hand injuries than head injuries from players falling backwards onto the ice and smacking their head with no helmet

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
what is the rule about tinted visors?

Wasn't there something about ovechkin not being allowed to use one.

But i think the kings kopitar is wearing a tinted visor

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
disgusting cowardly not to do it. hate to see hands cut up due to visors
Or make the other guy drop his gloves and skate off. Most fans don't realize the mental side of hockey since they've never played outside of xbox. Take the easy 2 minutes, then pay for it later once you helped put the team ahead.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
what is the rule about tinted visors?

Wasn't there something about ovechkin not being allowed to use one.

But i think the kings kopitar is wearing a tinted visor
I believe it’s something to do with concussions, reduces the glare from the ice.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I believe it’s something to do with concussions, reduces the glare from the ice.
I'm not sure its concussion related. If you still have sensitivity to light, you won't be on the ice. My guess is that its a prescription issue, you would need an optometrists recommendation for some underlying condition.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
No. We'll fight you until this is resolved. With visor on.

this whole things reminds me of an interview with Nick Diaz where he calls out reporter Ariel Helwani for "starting fights."

Ariel responds with "fights between the fighters?"

point being, you're in a fight. im not talking my visor off to save your hands.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Do the refs not stop the fight once a helmet is intentionally removed? I seem to recall this happening in an Oiler game (nurse?) 1-2 years ago.
With all of the lawsuits from players who were affected one way or another from head trauma no one can blame the NHL for the cowardly fights with helmets on.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Take this "its 2018,I'm offended" bull**** back to Facebook or reddit. Don't twist things like that. I said nothing homophobic whatsoever. This generation is just sad. Matter of fact YOURE the homophobe for relating the word fairies to gay people.

Hockey used to be a tough sport played by tough guys. Now it' a league full of losers like Brad Marchand running around taking cheap shots and having to answer to nobody.

You sound like an old man whos taken one too many punches from beer league hockey fights in his day.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
oh, you mean that thing that has happened zero times as a result of a fight?

It's killed a few people in other leagues and given serious brain damage to players in the NHL.

I don't get how someone can read anything from Boogard, Belak, Probert, Clune, Rypen, etc. and still think having enforcers in the league is a good thing.

What the hell is wrong with you guys.

Reactions: YesCubed

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Nothing is as cringey as two grown men fighting with helmets and visors on tucking their chins in.

nothing is more cringy than watching two no talent goons struggle to maintain their balance as they awkwardly swing at each other in an emotionless fight started so they both can keep their spots in the lineup.

If guys like Probert were on the ice do you think Ovechkin would have taken a buttend off the mouth the other night?

probably yeah

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Drake Caguilla took his helmet with a face shield off tonight. Pretty bad ass.

he had to. you are not allowed to fight AT ALL if you are wearing a full cage or shield, for obvious reasons. that said, good for him! Domi was just looking for anybody in orange to brutalize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad