Take a deep breath

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Matthews and Marner are unfortunately at their young age proving a very negative side to their games. The inability to work hard when they aren't trying to score. The lack of any kind of hustle or intensity is absolutely frustrating, especially when going up against the teams and lines they are specifically getting paid all that money to win the battles against.

Matthews is an elite level scorer and Marner elite playmaker, but neither of them seem to give a flying rats ass about improving their game in other areas and basically disappear when players just as good push back at them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A thread of calm amd reason - though i suspect it will mostly fall on deaf ears At just 10 games in, its nowhere near time to panoc.

I think if most folks sot and think theyd accept the notion that this team is clearly better than their recent record suggests. They just need a bit more time to work out the kinks. Id rather the team go through some early season adversity when its less impactful than head into the playoffs with lackluster play.

Theres 70 games left to set things on the right track folks

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A thread of calm amd reason - though i suspect it will mostly fall on deaf ears At just 10 games in, its nowhere near time to panoc.

I think if most folks sot and think theyd accept the notion that this team is clearly better than their recent record suggests. They just need a bit more time to work out the kinks. Id rather the team go through some early season adversity when its less impactful than head into the playoffs with lackluster play.

Theres 70 games left to set thkngs on the right track folks

I'd be a lot more willing to support this POV had we'd not been sucking for about 10 months now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No reason to panic since a lot can happen but really there isn’t much encouragement in what we’ve seen through 10 games given what we saw through the second half of last year.

They’re a bubble team to me until the start proving otherwise

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I can't figure out if we should be panicking or taking a valium. Probably the latter.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No reason to panic since a lot can happen but really there isn’t much encouragement in what we’ve seen through 10 games given what we saw through the second half of last year.

They’re a bubble team to me until the start proving otherwise

I don't think the reaction is panic. It's more like we've seen enough. The tone that Button, Colaiacovo, the Overdrive team, Ferraro has taken with Toronto over the past 48 hours has been that of disappointed adults supervising poorly behaved kids. And that's what it is. Disappointment, and fed up, looking at everything with extreme criticism, no sacred cows.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'd be a lot more willing to support this POV had we'd not been sucking for about 10 months now.

Yeah, the bad habits since last December are concerning. Maybe they get a bit of spark with Hyman and Dermott back. At the very least if the team is still doing poorly by that point maybe Babcock gets put on the hotseat (though he's in no way the only problem right now.)

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
There is no reason to panic, because when we face reality, the reality is kind of simple. The Leafs do not have the horses.

Actually, I think the Leafs actually have the horses, but they play too low in the lineup to make a difference.

Who was the best winger for the Leafs in the playoffs last year? It was Hyman, and he only played on one leg. When he comes back, a big piece of the puzzle will be solved. You will have again a legit #1 line who is a real threat to score and not be scored on and could dominate. Right now, the #1 line leaks goals and gets hemmed in their own zone. The team needs Hyman back.

Since the team needs Hyman back, that tells us volumes about what is wrong with the team. Last night in Boston, after surrendering the lead in the 3rd, the forwards disappeared again. It is like going back in time when Kessel played here. He tried his best, and no one came to help.

Promote Moore to the 2nd line or 1st line. Hyman is a top 6 winger. Try Mikheyev in the top 6. Timashov looks like a gamer, going into the corners looking for the puck, and not waiting around for someone else to do it.

I truly thought they were going to promote Moore to the 2nd line this year, but they go out and get Kerfoot. Only the freaking Leafs will do something like this.

On defense, the team is not going anywhere with Ceci in the top 4. How could Dubas not know that? What a dummy. Did he ever see him play? Now he is watching. Watching the Leafs blow leads, when a Zaitesev is on the ice, the Leafs last year was 38-1 taking a lead into the 3rd period. Babcock had Zaitsev with Hainsey close out every damn game the last 2 years.

Defense is going to be a problem. Muzzin and Barrie are your shut down pair. Barrie has never been know to fill that role. The Leafs have no choice now.

Get rid of Ceci, find another defenseman, bring up Borgman if he is still around, and hope when Dermott returns no one gets injured all year. Unless we wanna see Marty chuck it around . . .

Dubas to the recuse?

Help! Help!

:baghead:

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
The GM and most of the team has been turned over at least once, and the style/results are the same.

What is the only constant?

Obviously the coach but that's way too simplistic imo. If you have a makeup of your team that is built for a certain style, you are basically only going to play what those players are more suited for..Our players like to use their skill, they need a lot of room to operate..otherwise we see what happens when opponents rough them up, get in their faces and take away space, etc...They just aren't very good at it and so they mostly shy away from that stuff. There's also a reason it's easier to play a more structured game when it's a lot of not so skilled players..They'll work their asses off, do what they are told most of the time, etc..If you can also add a bit of scoring to that mix, it's usually a better combination for changing the style to something different later on(the other way when you have mostly a skilled group, it becomes much harder imo). But anyways, this team can change a million coaches, until these guys change within(based on the last few years, good luck with that) or get other players willing to do what's required, they aren't going very far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad