Take a deep breath

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm not happy with the start and I don't think we'll be OK until Babs is gone. And we need our players to hustle harder and be better.

That said, I agree. We've got good players. We had bad goaltending for most games so far. Freddy is looking good now.

We'll be ok enough to get to the playoffs, but hopefully we remove Babcock soon. I'm not even hating on him. I respect him and I see where he's coming from and he's made major contributions to this organization. But I don't think he can get us past the 1st round hump.

Reactions: Primary Assist

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
We will be fine. The overreactions around here and HFboards in general is crazy sometimes. Tampa has a similar record to us would you say that they are going to struggle to make the playoffs? No. The team just hasent hit its groove yet. I a am seeing some positive signs though. The bottom 6 looks great, as do most the new additions. We just have to wait for the top guys to start producing more, which they will. Agreed that replacing the coach would help though. I think Babcock has run his course. Making keefe the coach would inject some energy into the guys and hopefully wake them up

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The only change this club needs is solid goaltending, Freddie has taken the start of the season off before, he will be back. Rather be in TO than in Tampa right now. Panic at game 30 if you must, but they are 10th overall and it isn't like the Oilers and the Sabres are going to stay ahead of them unless Neal continues to score a goal a game and Hutton maintains a 1.40 GAA. They havent even had a hot streak yet. Seriously way too much drama on this board. There was less negativity here when the club was a punching bag. :laugh:

Reactions: rimshot and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Leafs are stuck in no man's land.

Not quite bad enough to trigger any real changes but not good enough to go anywhere in the playoffs.
I agree. I do think the roster turnover has created some unsettled play so far, and this team is too good to be this average. I usually like to evaluate 20 games in.

But as each game goes by....

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Too many soft players and not enough perseverance keeps rearing its ugly head and will continue. Only skill with softness and 0 grit will not win Stanley Cups, this will be a failed experiment unless someone decides to add some size and sandpaper by trade or any means necessary with guys who want to bite the puck in half who can also make plays. A couple Needed on forward and defense. Muzzin is but his foot speed is just too slow.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It has only been around 10 games but there are clear differences to last year's team.

The main point can be summarized as this team comes up short.

Last year going into the 3rd period with a lead it was automatic. This year that lead was blown. Was it blown every single game? Do not remember.

Also in tight games, this version of the Leafs will break and the other team will get that goal.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Leafs can't stop the cycle, 11 million guys don't bother to play defense. Depth players are performing, but overrated and overpayed primadonnas aren't. And they don't need to. Media will continue to praise them and they will blame the coach for players short comings. Matthews was rated as 4th best player in the league. Lol. 40 is closer the truth.

You all should blame Dubler Dubas and Toronto media who crowned these pathetic losers as kings and crown princes of Leafs land without any success. This is what happens when you hype the losers who can't win a single round.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
10 games. We've played 10 games. It's been a tough schedule, the boys look off, we're battling key injuries and still hold a playoff spot.

We had a decent amount of roster turnover this offseason.. it takes time to gel.

Step back from the ledge. Go Leafs Go.

Doesn't look like anyone took the advice to "take a deep breath".

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Too many soft players and not enough perseverance keeps rearing its ugly head and will continue. Only skill with softness and 0 grit will not win Stanley Cups, this will be a failed experiment unless someone decides to add some size and sandpaper by trade or any means necessary with guys who want to bite the puck in half who can also make plays. A couple Needed on forward and defense. Muzzin is but his foot speed is just too slow.
Muzzin is starting to look like a more rugged Jake Gardiner. Some of those giveaways.....

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
10 games. We've played 10 games. It's been a tough schedule, the boys look off, we're battling key injuries and still hold a playoff spot.

We had a decent amount of roster turnover this offseason.. it takes time to gel.

Step back from the ledge. Go Leafs Go.

If you think the problem is just that this team hasn't geled, you are setting yourself up for some major disappointment. This is a complete systemic breakdown. I'd be fine with a team struggling to find chemistry, I'm more worried that they appear not to even give enough of a shit to struggle to find chemistry.

This team is 5-4-2 and they are damn lucky to be even that, in 11 games I can not even think of one that they clearly deserved to win because of a complete 60 minute effort.

This team is in big trouble!

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Marner and surprisingly Rielly being off to start the year is a big factor.
Matthews is hot and cold but he’s kind of always been like that so you just roll with it.
Once Marner and Rielly get their heads in the game we might get better.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Leafs are stuck in no man's land.

Not quite bad enough to trigger any real changes but not good enough to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Pretty much. People who keep saying that we should relax because it's only 10 games have no clue what they're talking about. This isn't about the 10 games, it's more about the fact this team has been playing exactly the same shitty style for the past few seasons. We are constantly running around in our own end, giving up good to great chances to the opponent, give up as many goals as we score...yes it's only been 10 games..Jesus..
'

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The systemic issues are still very much the same, I wouldn't fully blame Babcock because you see success with players like Trevor Moore, Alex Kerfoot, Hyman etc who execute on his coaching and don't cheat effort and they look very good. But Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc these guys take too many nights off, and that's inexcusable especially in Matthews' case as he's basically the highest paid player when you look at term to dollar ratio. You can't just score some goals every few games and do f*** all otherwise and get paid like you're the best player in the world. I don't know what the solution is here, but he doesn't seem to respect Babcock so unfortunately for Babs he may have to take the fall for this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad