Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Break is a good time for Tage to reset and stop gripping that stick so tight. If he gets back to form, we could have some interesting hockey going forward.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sabres only hope for Thompson to be a superstar or they’re sunk.
Only hope for what? This season? It will take more than that to salvage this season.

If you’re talking about justifying his contract…

His cap hit won’t even be in the top 60 among forwards next season. He’s not close to being paid like a superstar.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tage scoring more would help overall but as long as it isn’t fully at the cost of his defense. Imposing at both ends of the ice would tip things further. I won’t get into having Dahlin not play like ass, etc….

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Figured Tage out. His home splits are BAD. He was a scoring machine at home last year.

1) Yes, the injury impact
2) Another baby- Lack of sleep, low energy, etc. Away he is almost ppg. he can sleep....

It is very likely. Just look at what managing oneself after having a first child did to O’Reilly. Yes, it was “that” season.

Reactions: Jim Bob

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
It is very likely. Just look at what managing oneself after having a first child did to O’Reilly. Yes, it was “that” season.
Forgot about that. I work a 7-3 and managing with a baby is hard enough. Can't imagine being a pro athlete.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Figured Tage out. His home splits are BAD. He was a scoring machine at home last year.

2) Another baby- Lack of sleep, low energy, etc. Away he is almost ppg. he can sleep....
This is even more concerning when you learn that giraffes only sleep 30 minutes a day

• Haha
Reactions: TageGod

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I believe Granato when he says Skinner is the reason that Tage isn't as good this year (he says "chemistry" but he means Skinner).

This year, when Tage drives to the net, there isn't another forward pushing their Dman back, putting add'l pressure on their dman and goalie. He's forcing it because the conditions are never there for him to do it correctly.

Tuch and Skinner aren't doing that nearly as much this year. Almost never, actually. I honestly think Skinner and to a lesser extent Tuch are the problems with Tage. Tage is fine.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I believe Granato when he says Skinner is the reason that Tage isn't as good this year (he says "chemistry" but he means Skinner).

This year, when Tage drives to the net, there isn't another forward pushing their Dman back, putting add'l pressure on their dman and goalie. He's forcing it because the conditions are never there for him to do it correctly.

Tuch and Skinner aren't doing that nearly as much this year. Almost never, actually. I honestly think Skinner and to a lesser extent Tuch are the problems with Tage. Tage is fine.
Skinner is 100% an issue, and to a lesser extent, Okposo who saw too many games with Tage.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Skinner is 100% an issue, and to a lesser extent, Okposo who saw too many games with Tage.
Okposo was put there so he could try to do what Skinner and Tuch wouldn't. Unfortunately, his footspeed and other limitations seemed to prevent him from being able to with any consistency. I don't blame Granato for trying it, he doesn't have many options with such a limited roster.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Okposo was put there so he could try to do what Skinner and Tuch wouldn't. Unfortunately, his footspeed and other limitations seemed to prevent him from being able to with any consistency. I don't blame Granato for trying it, he doesn't have many options with such a limited roster.
KO and Greenway the only ones willing to go to the front of the net and stay there and try for tips or screens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I sometimes wonder if anyone is really being asked to do that, exactly. With the way Granato wants them to execute.

There is also that comment from someone (Marek iirc) talking about how the Sabres were set up to skate fast and NOT HIT when they were in the midst of the vibes thing.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
KO and Greenway the only ones willing to go to the front of the net and stay there and try for tips or screens.
I liked the Greenway-Thompson-Cozens line earlier in the year, and I wonder if it's something that will be explored in the future. I wanted Cozens getting his reps at center, but he's not progressing well there (or, atleast wasn't while I was watching). Im fine with letting him develop at wing.

Also, this was another reason why I wanted a revamped bottom-6 with more Greenway-types of players. They can move up the LU, drive the net, play hard defensively, create space, etc..when the Skinners and Tuchs of the world start to become passive or injuries hit. They wont put up 50+ pts a year, but they'll certainly make life easier for their linemates.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Every playoff team in the East has at least one elite forward talent. Boston - Pastrnak. Florida - Barkov/Tkachuk/Reinhart. TBL - Kucherov/Stamkos/Point. TOR - Marner, Matthews, Nylander. CAR - Aho. PHI - Konecny. DET - Larkin. NYR - Panarin. NJD - Hughes.

Of all our guys, prospects included, Tage (and possibly Benson) is the only one I see with potential of being in that elite category, which he has already been in for one season.

Captain obvious post but we desperately need him to be elite for us again next year, not just good. The game-breaker type talents really do make a difference and not sure we’ll have success with just a smattering of 60 point guys.

Maybe 47+47 is not to be repeated but we need at least point per game. Especially considering his defensive game is already… on the lower end compared to the other top centres.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Every playoff team in the East has at least one elite forward talent. Boston - Pastrnak. Florida - Barkov/Tkachuk/Reinhart. TBL - Kucherov/Stamkos/Point. TOR - Marner, Matthews, Nylander. CAR - Aho. PHI - Konecny. DET - Larkin. NYR - Panarin. NJD - Hughes.

Of all our guys, prospects included, Tage (and possibly Benson) is the only one I see with potential of being in that elite category, which he has already been in for one season.

Captain obvious post but we desperately need him to be elite for us again next year, not just good. The game-breaker type talents really do make a difference and not sure we’ll have success with just a smattering of 60 point guys.

Maybe 47+47 is not to be repeated but we need at least point per game. Especially considering his defensive game is already… on the lower end compared to the other top centres.
Your bar for elite is pretty low if you include Larkin and Konecny as those are lower grade top line players.

Outside of Thompson, you'd look at Quinn as having the potential to be elite moreso than Benson. Benson is more tenacious but Quinn's overall game is a higher tier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad