Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
We just got Fashing back it appears.

I am reading through all of these "bad skater" takes, and I was literally going to reply with "it's not like he's Hudson Fasching or something". The kid moves pretty well for someone 6'5". Much better than Fasching or Foligno, or someone of that mold. This is a nice pick up.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Jame was really high on Thompson in his draft year.

If Housley doesn't have him in the Ovie Office on PP2....

I remember highlights of him scoring from his off-wing on the PP (the Ovie/Stamkos/Eichel spot). Problem is, that's Eichel's spot on PP1. I hope we can find a good enough passer for him on PP2 - I think Mitts would fit that role, but I think they'll put him on PP1 sooner than later.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Fasching, with a side of Beaulieu. It feels like a bit of a first round reclamation project. Fingers crossed on this one, but it looks like BUF really solved an issue for STL here. The word is they 'rushed' this guy to the NHL and sometimes that is not a reversible situation.

20 year old Reclamation project.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I remember highlights of him scoring from his off-wing on the PP (the Ovie/Stamkos/Eichel spot). Problem is, that's Eichel's spot on PP1. I hope we can find a good enough passer for him on PP2 - I think Mitts would fit that role, but I think they'll put him on PP1 sooner than later.

It will be interesting to see how they build the PP units.

They could try and spread things out and put TNT, Casey, and Dahlin on PP2 to start....

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Dahlin is the only thing that keeps me from confidently predicting Eichel's trajectory mirroring Tavares (a few playoff appearances before he heads to Boston in free agency).... that's the future staring us in the face, and Dahlin is the only thing that can change it....

Ha, I was thinking the same on my nearly three-hour ride home last night following the ROR trade.

For a shooter he doesn't seem to score very much.

Between Thompson and Snipeshow, we'll have all the guys with great shots who don't score. :laugh: :cry:

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Never hurts to have balance. Especially since Thompson may give olofsson a run for best pure shot in the organization

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It will be interesting to see how they build the PP units.

They could try and spread things out and put TNT, Casey, and Dahlin on PP2 to start....

That PP2 then has a chance to be dynamite, or possibly blow up in their faces, or both...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That PP2 then has a chance to be dynamite, or possibly blow up in their faces, or both...

If they put Scandella on D, it won't be too much of a gamble.

PP1

Eichel - Ovie Office
Reinhart - NFP
??? - Right half wall
Guhle - LD
Risto - RD

PP2

TNT - Ovie Office
Okposo - NFP
Mitts- Right half wall
Scandella - LD
Dahlin - RD

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For a shooter he doesn't seem to score very much.
He's not a shot creator, so if he's not in the right situation getting set up, he isn't going to score. He needs PP time and a set-up man if you want him to put up goals. Don't forget he was a first-year pro last season... a beanpole of one at that. Whatever his ceiling turns out to be, it'll be a good while before he gets there, but he could be a good pro contributor as soon as next season. I can't see starting him in Buffalo over Olofsson who's much more pro-ready. I think he'll help Rochester this year.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We have a few guys who can pass the puck and not enough shooters or finishers. Olafsson is one guy with an almost generational shot. Tage is a guy who has a heavy shot that he's not afraid to let go from anywhere.

He just lets this fly.

I took these from this pretty good article on Die by the Blade.

Getting to Know Tage Thompson

Reactions: Icicle

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Watching video on him I've started to notice something in his game...his offensive and defensive IQ are very good. He's pretty responsible in his own zone and doesn't make many mistakes. He also has a knack for finding soft spots in d-zone coverage & gets chances because of it. Reminds me a little of Zadina in the sense that both find ways to get open in the offensive zone.

He's never going to be as good as ROR, but if all mostly works out he'll be Jack or Casey's winger for the next 10 years.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

I saw more cycling in this clip from last year than I did from any of our forwards last year not named Eichel, Reinhart, or ROR. He reminds me of Carrier, except with skill. Knows how to skate to the open areas on the ice, and he utilizes his size/long stick to his advantage to keep space. We have a better Carrier back :)

He looks like Eichel's future winger. He may be more ready than I originally thought.

Reactions: Dingo44

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I really like Thompson's game. I don't like the trade that much either but it is what it is. 3 first rounders in this draft (imo same first round depth as 2018) which could also be used to get established young guy(s). Gives us more depth for our bottom 3 lines. This season will be all about seeing all of the young guys play. Thompson,Olofsson,Nylander,Asplund,Guhle, Pilut, smith with all probably get a look at some point. I have really high hopes for victor olofsson. I think he's going to absolutely rip up the AHL and earn a call up eventually. Thompson would probably benefit from playing with a stacked amerks team but I'm unsure if he will. I'm almost 100% positive he becomes a good top 6 winger, I just love his offensive game. But as of right now, we have really weak scoring depth with a ton of unknowns

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’ve read a bunch of scouting reports from his draft year (LWOS, THW,, Dobber Prospects)

Dobber prospects notes him as a near certain NHLer

LWOS notes he has an “excellent” one timer, good pressure on the forecheck, uses body well, and is more of a straight line skater than anything else. Definitely needs to work on acceleration, and muscle. LWOS also says his defensive play is excellent but that seems to contradict what we’ve seen reported other places. Their stylistic comparison is JVR.

THW notes his size, shot, PP ability, and versatility C/RW as strengths with needed improvements as skating, strength on puck and d zone coverage. They see him being a top-6 winger - “solid first or second line winger at the NHL level”. Stylistic comparison to Jamie Benn.

Seems like he was pretty good at face offs in college and under but his skating may prevent him from playing C full time. Given his booming onetimer, I wonder if he gets the opportunity to play the halfwall on PP2 since jack has that pretty well locked down for PP1.

Now that I’ve taken time to breathe after the trade, and doing some person research, I see why Botterill likes this guy. Thompson doesn’t necessarily fill the “speed” aspect of the game, but not every player needs to skate like Dahlin or Eichel for the team to play fast.

One of our biggest concerns for years has been what to do on Jacks wing. Now we have Mittelstadt as well, who provides excellent playmaking ability. Botterill has also stated that he wants big, smart players to retrieve pucks for Malkin/Crosby. That was his ideal winger.

While I was hoping for a higher end prospect, Thompson seems to be a fairly respectable RW prospect that adds size and shooting ability(!!!) to the Sabres. Based on what I’ve read, it would seem like he will develop into a solid middle six winger with the possibility of being a good first line wing (30 goal RW?).

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Still can't believe we didn't get Thomas or Kyrou but this kid isn't chopped liver as a prospect. His 3 NHL goals are on YouTube, he's a hulk and the shot is a laser. That he's played so many NHL games as a 2016 draft pick is a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad