Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
When he played those 41 games with the Blues was he on the wing the whole time and get some chance at center? If he was on the wing who was his center and if he was center who was on his line?

When I saw him he was wing.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
When he played those 41 games with the Blues was he on the wing or at center? If he was on the wing who was his center and if he was center who was on his line?
He was pretty much exclusively used as a winger in St. Louis. He did play some center down in the AHL and I believe our organization still viewed him as a center long term, but that may have been lip service because we are dying for quality centers. He played his best hockey with Alex Steen on his left wing and Paul Stastny at center. On the telecast they made it very clear that the two veterans basically told him to fire at will and not look to defer to them all of the time. He took their advice to heart and was just ripping shots on net. He's a better prospect than his NHL/AHL numbers might suggest. He has a very good shot and uses his one-timer pretty much whenever(maybe even too often). He's got great hands for a big guy and sees the ice well. Still needs to fill out and his acceleration could use some work, but I wouldn't say he's a bad skater. I think long term he's a 25-20 type guy if things fairly well. He should be a useful piece now and a good player in the not-too-distant future.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
When he played those 41 games with the Blues was he on the wing the whole time and get some chance at center? If he was on the wing who was his center and if he was center who was on his line?

He played almost exclusively wing for us last year. His most frequent linemates were actually Sobotka, Berglund, and Jaskin, with very little Top 6 usage. He acquitted himself reasonably well, but I really wouldn't read too much into his play or production for the Blues last season. We had zero depth and he really should have been playing in the AHL all year in a Top 6 role. He's a big kid and needs to build up his strength, but once he does he's going to be a good player. I love getting ROR, but I'm sorry to see Thompson go.

Reactions: Bluesfan1

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Luke Adam 2.0 or do we get "lucky" and get Taylor Pyatt 2.0.?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

He played exclusively on the wing.

His linemates were in constant flux. He had a few shifts on the second line with Stastny and whoever was on the other side (often Steen), but he's not ready for the sort of role that those guys typically fill. More often he was in the bottom six with some combination of Berglund, Sobotka, Jaskin, etc. It seemed like every game was different.

Sometimes Berglund was centering the third line, then it was Brodziak as they moved Berglund to #2 RW out of necessity. Sobotka spent some time there when he wasn't at #2 or #3 LW. Barbashev as well. Brodziak was our #2 center after the deadline with Stastny traded, so that kind of tells you how things were going.

He had more skill than most of the bottom six linemates he had so in a sense he wasn't really being utilized fully there, but he didn't have the experience or complete game to play in the top 6 yet. Not really the best for his offensive development, but his play away from the puck picked up as the season went along so it wasn't a complete waste. He kept a good attitude about the whole thing.

He could probably break camp with Buffalo if they want him to, but a full year in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing if you have a good coach there and Buffalo doesn't need him immediately. More than anything, he just needs to mature a bit physically and grow into his NHL role.

Reactions: Dex and joshjull

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Luke Adam 2.0 or do we get "lucky" and get Taylor Pyatt 2.0.?
Pyatt's game was pretty much go to the net and stay there, IIRC. That's not what you're getting with Thompson, but you'll see that soon enough for yourself.

I'd wager quite a bit that you are getting something better than Luke Adams, but I understand your skepticism.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Pyatt's game was pretty much go to the net and stay there, IIRC. That's not what you're getting with Thompson, but you'll see that soon enough for yourself.

I'd wager quite a bit that you are getting something better than Luke Adams, but I understand your skepticism.
Go wager it on ROR leading your forwards in ice time, make a little money.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
He better be something special because it sounds like Botterill and his scouts were locked in on him for whatever reason.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He played for the US at the World Championship just passed, had 1G 2A in 10 games.

Don't think he's going to Rochester unless he has a weak camp and pre-season.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Put him with the right center, which we have 2 of, hes a consistent 25 to 30 goal guy with that shot. Those calling him Fasching or Adam need to watch more. Hes more Patrick Maroon with w developing physical game

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
We just got Fashing back it appears.
Fasching, with a side of Beaulieu. It feels like a bit of a first round reclamation project. Fingers crossed on this one, but it looks like BUF really solved an issue for STL here. The word is they 'rushed' this guy to the NHL and sometimes that is not a reversible situation.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Fasching, with a side of Beaulieu. It feels like a bit of a first round reclamation project. Fingers crossed on this one, but it looks like BUF really solved an issue for STL here. The word is they 'rushed' this guy to the NHL and sometimes that is not a reversible situation.

More like hes probably just a terrible draft pick. The year he was drafted 13 out of his 14 goals were on the powerplay. Hoping the scouting staff saw something because I don't like it at all.

Reactions: jc17

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Not having offensive ability confidence is usually the problem with 'rushed' players. This guy has always been a 'shoot first' type of player, with a killer shot, and through numerous scouting reports has no problem protecting the puck when he does have it. Scared, rushed players are known for just dumping and giving the puck away at first sign of pressure, and I'm not hearing that. One report said his lanky size let him give up some picks too easily along the boards, but he's got a lot of frame to fill out and that should be expected to still improve.

Botterill had no issue keeping Guhle down last season. Or Smith/Bailey/Baptiste despite the awful wingers we had up. It's not out of the realm for him to stay down. RW has some holes he could easily jump into though if he shows ability. This team needs shoot-first guys that aren't named Evander Kane. They've got TT and Oloffson who will be fighting over earning that final spot on top-6 lines to fit that role, since Eichel and Reinhart and others are so pass-happy to begin with. Need a one-timer player on the PP1 with ROR gone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad