Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The difference between Thompson's 1st stint in the AHL and 2nd stint is night and day. He improved greatly. When was the last time Baptiste or Bailey showed improvement?

Between their 1st stint in the AHL and 2nd stint.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Which to stay fair for Thompson was his D+1 and D+2 years. For Baptiste and Bailey it was D+3 and D+4.
Sure but the question was when was the last time Bailey and Baptiste showed improvement. Which is a pretty easy question to answer for anybody who has actually watched them.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sure but the question was when was the last time Bailey and Baptiste showed improvement. Which is a pretty easy question to answer for anybody who has actually watched them.
I've never seen improvement with Bailey. His feet still move faster than his head and hands. Baptiste has never taken it up a level either.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Yes, the answer would be their D+3 to D+4 years. Sadly they're moving into D+6 now.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We're a last place team. I have to think if he is legitimately one of the best players at camp, he'll get a chance to stick with the big club.

But....if he's going to play 4th line minutes, especially when you factor in his waiver status, I agree 100%, send him to Rochester.
Agreed, top 9 or Rochester.
He is off to a great start

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I thought his third period last night was really something else. His straight line speed is better than I thought and his hands are pretty slick for a big man. And he has a great release. He gained confidence as the game went on and was a beast late.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I thought his third period last night was really something else. His straight line speed is better than I thought and his hands are pretty slick for a big man. And he has a great release. He gained confidence as the game went on and was a beast late.

If they all get held up to get ice time and build confidence to start the season,

Olofsson Asplund Thompson

Might be the best line in the AHL.

Really liked a couple quick decisions he made last night.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a good sign to have him have a solid start to the prospect tournament. I'm interested to see how that line performs tonight - I was impressed with all of them individually including Thompson. It's a solid beginning.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Wasn’t high on Thompson but he has a bit of Jeff Carter in his game. I would take Carter lite in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
So wait, we got the younger, cheaper, faster, taller Tage for ROR..... AND they gave us a 1st and a 2nd and Berglund and Sobotka on top?

Botts should have been fired on the spot. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dingo44

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Thompson was the best player on the ice tonight. He played a great 2 way game and showed mobility I thought he lacked. He even had a pretty good quick step. He will be a top 6 in the nhl a long time.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
We got dicked on the trade, no two ways about it.

But Thompson is certainly intriguing.

We didn’t get dicked not true at all. Thompson is going to be a beast in our top 6 for years too come and I had no idea how good of a skater he was until I saw that goal in rookie camp, might have one of the hardest shots on our team (the guy can shoot) his great reach and vision. Put the guy in front of the net and at 6 foot 6, you aren’t moving him unless it’s by like two players, we got a first round pick, a second and two top 9 forwards in Sobotka and Berglund who can add much needed offensive production on the 3rd line and can send Girgs and Larson too the 4th line which is probably best for them at this stage in there careers. I really don’t get why people don’t like this trade. If Botterill got Kyrou or Thomas people would be praising Botterill

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We didn’t get dicked not true at all. Thompson is going to be a beast in our top 6 for years too come and I had no idea how good of a skater he was until I saw that goal in rookie camp, might have one of the hardest shots on our team (the guy can shoot) his great reach and vision. Put the guy in front of the net and at 6 foot 6, you aren’t moving him unless it’s by like two players, we got a first round pick, a second and two top 9 forwards in Sobotka and Berglund who can add much needed offensive production on the 3rd line and can send Girgs and Larson too the 4th line which is probably best for them at this stage in there careers. I really don’t get why people don’t like this trade. If Botterill got Kyrou or Thomas people would be praising Botterill

Perhaps people that are down on the return don't see Thompson as a lock to be a significant top 6 player long term and they view Sobotka and Berglund as cap dumps that won't improve the bottom 6 that much.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I was somewhat convinced that the sabres settled for Thompson over more highly-touted prospects in the Blue's org. But given the pre-trade discussions around them looking for players with a 'shooters' mentality and seeing him play, I'm reconsidering that. He looked more NHL ready that any other forward, with maybe the exception of Mittelstadt and Asplund during this showcase. He reminds me of Kieffer Bellows.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not taking sides, but do we really have to have a discussion of the O'Reilly trade in the Tage Thompson thread as well? Perhaps we can talk about him as a player, without bringing the trade up... again?
No, we absolutely don't.

There's plenty to actually talk about with Thompson without endlessly rehashing the O'Reilly trade or what value O'Reilly brought to the team. So let's not feel compelled to go there or treat Thompson as merely a pretense to argue about O'Reilly.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Thompson has made me more hopeful for him this Tournament than when we acquired him.

Defiantly one of my more notable players this Prospect Tournament.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad