Player Discussion Tage Thompson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does he do anything well other than shoot?

I would love it if he turns out to be a viable top 6 winger but I've yet to see any reasons besides shot and height. When you're height is your second biggest selling point its not a good sign

Reactions: Fearnot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Would Tage getting top 6 RW minutes push Sam back to C? I don't see them playing Reinhart or Okposo on the third line unless Okposo looks really rough or they want to shelter him.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Would Tage getting top 6 RW minutes push Sam back to C? I don't see them playing Reinhart or Okposo on the third line unless Okposo looks really rough or they want to shelter him.
Skinner - Reinhart - Thompson could make for an interesting line.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'd rather see him in the high slot, where Oshie played for the Caps. Same spot the Sabres had Okposo for a while and then ROR.
upload_2018-8-27_16-40-34.png

1. Jack Eichel
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Tage Thompson
4. Casey Middlestadt
5. Rasmus Dahlin

Skinner, Okposo, Ristolainen?, ??? on the 2nd unit.

Don't @ me

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think the Sabres might have told him they see him in the top six, and if he's not going to play there, he'll start the season in Rochester. Which makes sense from a development standpoint.

Did they tell Justin Bailey and Nic Baptiste the same thing? Two guys who have outperformed him at the AHL level and two guys who many think will likely start the season on waivers.

[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Okposo would be a great compliment to Berglund on a 3rd line.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Did they tell Justin Bailey and Nic Baptiste the same thing? Two guys who have outperformed him at the AHL level and two guys who many think will likely start the season on waivers.

I dunno. :dunno:

Maybe they don't see B or B as top six guys. Maybe they do. I'm not commenting on who deserves a spot to start the season on the big club.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I think the Sabres might have told him they see him in the top six, and if he's not going to play there, he'll start the season in Rochester. Which makes sense from a development standpoint.

Yeah, he definitely needs some more time. He's just not physically mature enough. He has decent mobility for a huge guy, but seems to completely lack a physical game. I guess the absolute best case scenario would be someone like JVR. But need to see him really put on some bulk and be willing to go to the net more for that to happen.

Reactions: Dingo44

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He rubs me the wrong way. I don’t see the elite top 6 talent. More like a taller Girgs.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
he should be in roc getting top line minutes there for the start of the season

We're a last place team. I have to think if he is legitimately one of the best players at camp, he'll get a chance to stick with the big club.

But....if he's going to play 4th line minutes, especially when you factor in his waiver status, I agree 100%, send him to Rochester.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Yeah.... Thompson outperformed both of them last year in the AHL, and is two years younger. Any particular reason to leave that out?

Reactions: Icicle

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We're a last place team. I have to think if he is legitimately one of the best players at camp, he'll get a chance to stick with the big club.

I just see no reason to expect he'll be one of the best players in camp. His pedigree suggests he'll be in a mosh pit with six other tweener guys who might have the chance to steal one forward spot.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah.... Thompson outperformed both of them last year in the AHL, and is two years younger. Any particular reason to leave that out?

Here is how they performed last year in the AHL:

Player A: 0.19 GPG 0.5 PPG
Player B: 0.27 GPG 0.6 PPG
Player C: 0.27 GPG 0.41 PPG

It's not like any of them had either a great AHL statline last year or was head and shoulders above the other two.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

It's not like any of them had either a great AHL statline last year or was head and shoulders above the other two.

I think 33% is considerably better; but yes none of them burned down the league. However, one of those players is 30 months younger than the other two.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Because there are ebbs and flows in player development and I would much rather compare all 3 at the same stages of their careers at this point. And Bailey and Baptiste both outperformed Thompson, considerably I might add.

If I didn't know who either player was and I pulled up this thread and threads on Bailey and Baptiste I would walk away with the impression that Thompson was a blue chip prospect and Bailey and Baptiste were nothing prospects when the reality is at this point all 3 look to be mediocre prospects that may or may not surprise us and work out but chances are they wont because most prospects don't.
Yet 1 of them is penciled into our future lineup and the other 2 most posters feel wont even be in the organization. It's very curious.

Thompson was rushed to the NHL and Buffalo would be smart to try and correct that. Unless he's leading the league in points at the end of pre-season he shouldn't be anywhere near our lineup.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

The difference between Thompson's 1st stint in the AHL and 2nd stint is night and day. He improved greatly. When was the last time Baptiste or Bailey showed improvement?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The difference between Thompson's 1st stint in the AHL and 2nd stint is night and day. He improved greatly. When was the last time Baptiste or Bailey showed improvement?

Last season was Thompson's first full pro season.

And honestly, if you are trying to compare Thompson to Bailey and Baptiste, that is talking really poorly about Thompson if you think he has top 6 winger upside.

I don't know too many people that think that Bailey and Baptiste are top 6 material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad