Post-Game Talk (GBU): Ta-Tank-a means Buffalo

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
In the spirit of the GBU titlle, "Ta-Tank-A" means Buffalo, we should propose "Dances With Wolves"-like names to current (and if you want, former) Sabres. Here's a couple to start:

Mike Weber: "Likes to screen goalie"
Matt Ellis: "Plays with Great Passion"
Thomas Vanek: "Looks Up to Rafters"
Ron Rolston: "Water Buffalo"
Ville Leino: "Steals owner's money"
Rob Ray: "Does Nice Job"
John Scott: "Big Man Skating"

Laughing out loud. All of them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In the spirit of the GBU titlle, "Ta-Tank-A" means Buffalo, we should propose "Dances With Wolves"-like names to current (and if you want, former) Sabres. Here's a couple to start:

Kaleta: Eats Small Ones
Zemgus: Father Nature
Myers: Soars Like Condor
Konopka: Pony Has One Trick
Ott: Upright Coyote
Miller: Hit By Many Arrows
Enroth: River Flows Underneath
Moulson: Stands Before Teepee
Nolan: are you trying to get me in trouble here, guys?

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
you mean... like, the Matrix?

Like this Tank?
Matrix_178Pyxurz.jpg

Jokes (?) aside, this team isn't giving an effort so they lose. Effort level is better than the Rolston days, but let's face it. This team just doesn't have enough talent to win games on a consistent basis, and the best place to gain talent is through the draft.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Oh yeah? So what does "tanking" mean?

It's about managerial decisions that don't put the team in the position to succeed in the short term (trading away guys like Vanek as opposed to trading for them). No one would expect the team itself or the coaches to not try hard to win.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It's about managerial decisions that don't put the team in the position to succeed in the short term (trading away guys like Vanek as opposed to trading for them). No one would expect the team itself or the coaches to not try hard to win.

Exactly. Honestly, if it ever came out that coaches and/or players were intentionally tanking during games the Sabres would not only cease to be my favorite team, but I would instantly root against them for at least as long as the offending parties were employed...

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
don't be naive, it's a business.

Naive? First of all, how is it in the players interest to tank? Poor performance means smaller future contracts (or even a trip to the AHL) and as for coaches, well, we saw first hand that the fact that the Sabres are rebuilding didn't insulate Rolston from his poor performance.

Also, if the Sabres got caught tanking during games, do you really think the NHL would let them keep their ill-gotten draft pick?

KennyFnPowers*

Blue Chips. its not tanking, its shaving. watch the last 60s of the game again from last night ; )

KennyFnPowers*

face it. its pro sports. the people running these teams are as competitive as it gets. there's a deft race for last place / 1st,2nd,3rd overall right now.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
face it. its pro sports. the people running these teams are as competitive as it gets. there's a deft race for last place / 1st,2nd,3rd overall right now.

No player or coach wants to be the worst. Yeah, these players are competitive as it gets. They HATE losing. Half this team will be gone by the time the franchise sees the benefit of a #1 pick.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

Good start. Last game was en exception, but based on this season, and the last, I want Drew Stafford to be "Can't Connect" or "Fans On It".
Zemgus Girgensons: "Hell On Wheels"
Ron Rolston: "The Walking Dead"
Hey, I'm just coming up with series titles here. That wasn't the game, was it? ;)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I think you mean 3+ more games played. If they were in-hand, it would be to the Sabres benefit, since it would be more opportunity for the Oilers to gain points.

Yes, thank you. Typed that up on very very little sleep :laugh:

I'm actually looking at graphing that out for the very. Sabres against Edmonton and Calgary. I just need to find some good data sources (schedule for each team) that I can parse out easily with code.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yes, thank you. Typed that up on very very little sleep :laugh:

I'm actually looking at graphing that out for the very. Sabres against Edmonton and Calgary. I just need to find some good data sources (schedule for each team) that I can parse out easily with code.

Or you can find a site that gives daily standings where you can pull out the GP column.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad