t-o-o m-a-n-y .....

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
AFTERNOON GAMES …. this year - *4* btwn this weekend and next …..why ? :(

can't a fellow sit down after dinner with a few brews and watch an NHL game ? :ha:

I'm not happy with it either... and as STM with a 50/50 Split, I don't select the weekend Day Games... my Partner however loves them -- due to Travel ease on I-95 -- so he's happy to select them. Even watching on TV they are a pain as they consume Weekend Days.

My uneducated guess is that NHL may be gravitating to taking over Saturday Afternoons, and after NFL Seadon, Sundays also... or at least in Philly Market... establishing it as theirs over the NBA who probably does great on Weeknight Televising. Notice the Weeknoght NHL National Games which NBC is trying to establish, such as Wednesday's Rivalry Games... They need to get a better foothold on Television.

On a Local Level, the WFC shares with 76ers and Wings and other Events... the Flyers are here to stay... they may be appeasing their Leasees on this... Plus they also may be trying to gain more Family Days, where People can take their entire Family, including Kids, without worries of School Nights. Day Games are more Kid Friendly, I'd believe.

JMO

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Day Games are more Kid Friendly, I'd believe.

JMO

Know what's not kid friendly? The prices.
#SurpriseFaceTurn

Couldnt agree more. Afternoon games are ****ing stupid.
I don't mind the Friday after Thanksgiving afternoon game. And if there was one other game that started at local time 1 pm during the season, I wouldn't complain. Anything more than that is garbage.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Know what's not kid friendly? The prices.
#SurpriseFaceTurn

Yes... agree... but that is a complaint for another complaining Thread... is it not?

My point was that that may be one of the reasons for the increase of Weekend Afternoon... not broaching on question of affordability. The Prices probably will never decrease... the question is 'why so many Day Games... all of a sudden'.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Yes... agree... but that is a complaint for another complaining Thread... is it not?

My point was that that may be one of the reasons for the increase of Weekend Afternoon... not broaching on question of affordability. The Prices probably will never decrease... the question is 'why so many Day Games... all of a sudden'.
I know. My comment was more to the point, to portray these afternoon games as family friendly is a dubious guise. So, while the day game may not conflict with bed time, taking a family to a game is still prohibitive. I'd take my kid to a night game easily if the prices were lower, being raked over the coals at 1 pm is not really different than 7 pm.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It is also done to increase audience in Europe.
That is a credible and reasonable answer. Much like how Hextall was notorious for a tight-lipped front office, that detail can buy a lot of slack with the fanbase if the Flyers would share it in a credible way. "Hey guys, we know you're not super stoked about 1 pm games, but it allows our fans in Europe to see a more reasonable game during their weekend, so, kay?" As opposed to whatever nonsense is given, likey around being family friendly or some crap.

Reactions: RANKKA

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That is a credible and reasonable answer. Much like how Hextall was notorious for a tight-lipped front office, that detail can buy a lot of slack with the fanbase if the Flyers would share it in a credible way. "Hey guys, we know you're not super stoked about 1 pm games, but it allows our fans in Europe to see a more reasonable game during their weekend, so, kay?" As opposed to whatever nonsense is given, likey around being family friendly or some crap.

There have been plenty of articles suggesting the NHL wants to increase its presence in Europe -- likely elsewhere -- and that is in part due to the shifting of times of weekend afternoon games. No, you don't want to alienate your core audience by making the product less desirable for the consumer. But the existence of a national TV contact generally requires significant games for Sunday afternoons, late in the season especially..

One example is here:

That kind of affection in Europe is not unique to Hischier, the first Swiss-born player ever taken with the No. 1 overall pick. European players now make up roughly 30 percent of the league, but the difficulty in watching games live on that continent has lessened the league’s growth abroad; for instance, a Devils game that starts at 7 p.m. in Newark would start at 1 a.m. in Zurich. But the NHL has begun countering that by playing a trio of regular-season games in Europe this season and by shifting the start time of nearly 50 Saturday and Sunday games, putting them in prime time in 24 countries and territories across Europe.
Another with quotes from at least two players:
More afternoon games could boost NHL popularity in Europe
”One thing that I know former players have been talking about is maybe more games earlier on the weekends so they can actually watch,” said Washington Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom, who is Swedish. ”Prime time here is middle of the night there. To make it more popular in Europe and Sweden, I think more games in the middle of the day on the weekends would be great. That’s how you can get it more popular.”

”In Denmark, the NFL (became) quite popular like 10, 15 years ago because they started games in the afternoon, so people could start watching at dinner time and they could just keep watching a new game,” Capitals center Lars Eller said. ”I would welcome more afternoon games.”

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
All I'm saying is be honest about it, instead of the silent treatment. Silent treatment is seldom the correct course of action to get something resolved.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I've heard the reasons being Europe and kids. I have noticed that there are more kids at the 1pm games.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
afternoon games have gone on forever. regular season and playoff games. How often did they play the Cup Final in the afternoon decades ago? I get the dislike for it, but this is not new and not everyone is going to be happy about it. I am ok with it. Doesnt affect my weekend. I usually listen to most of the games anyway.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I absolutely love the 1pm games; I can actually watch a f***ing game from the occasional Monday nights.

MOAR!

[i need a new jerrb]

Reactions: Jtown

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
Sunday afternoon games like tomorrow are the only chance I get to see the Flyers in person every year. It’s nice because I can hang out in DC after the game for a bit with friends and still be home before 9pm

Reactions: RANKKA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad