T.J. Dillashaw plans to relinquish UFC title after ‘adverse’ USADA finding from UFC Brooklyn,

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

This dudes been cheating awhile. Now, who else is using EPO?

Shoulda got 4 years for 2 fails

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Was this his 2nd positive test?

I thought fighters only got a 1 year suspension for their first failed drug test

some drugs are just more excusable than others. with EPO, you can't use "involuntary use", "didn't know that wasn't legal" or "tainted suplements" excuses. I believe EPO is taken through injection. It's a very voluntary act of cheating. plus all the benefits you get from it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
some drugs are just more excusable than others. with EPO, you can't use "involuntary use", "didn't know that wasn't legal" or "tainted suplements" excuses. I believe EPO is taken through injection. It's a very voluntary act of cheating. plus all the benefits you get from it.

This is a great point and I think it's important to add that despite what some people think, tainted supplements are a very real thing that occurs to fighters and as such situations like this one with Dillashaw are very different than the ones we more commonly see flagged.

I generally don't care about PEDs in MMA, but if they're going to suspend people these are the people they should be chasing. If it turns out that this was only detected because of Dillashaw dropping to 125lbs for a fight that should have happened at 135lbs anyways that's pretty funny and a life-changing mistake by Dillashaw.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This is a great point and I think it's important to add that despite what some people think, tainted supplements are a very real thing that occurs to fighters and as such situations like this one with Dillashaw are very different than the ones we more commonly see flagged.

I generally don't care about PEDs in MMA, but if they're going to suspend people these are the people they should be chasing. If it turns out that this was only detected because of Dillashaw dropping to 125lbs for a fight that should have happened at 135lbs anyways that's pretty funny and a life-changing mistake by Dillashaw.

Combat sports are the one sport where you should care about PED use

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Combat sports are the one sport where you should care about PED use

I care to a limited extent. I don't care to the point where fighters are getting busted for trace amounts of things that could easily (if not likely) be from tainted supplements and/or have no effect on their performance. For the most part, I just want to see the best fighters fight.

member 51464

Man, what a f***ing moron. TJ, you had surprisingly good name recognition for a little guy. You had starched your rival Cody twice. You had arguably beaten Cruz in your fight. Plenty of folks gave you praise for offering to go to 125 to fight mighty mouse when he wouldn't agree it for risk of you not making the cut.

Like damn, son. You had so much going your way. All you had to do was keep talking shit at 135. Maybe he holds up there, beats Cejudo there, and gets high marks from many when he rides off into the sunset in a couple of years.

Pride comes before the fall. This is some Shakespearean shit. I find Cody hilarious in all this. Get knocked out cold twice and still win the war, in a way. lol.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Tainted supplements are literally one of the most ridiculous excuses going.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Tainted supplements are literally one of the most ridiculous excuses going.

it's not particularly ridiculous when you take into account that the supplement business is shady and USADA doesn't offer fighters to test supplements unless fighters get popped for something. That being said, that's why disclosing everything you take is important. If you get caught for something that is found in a supplement you've disclosed, you should be free of charges. If you don't disclose it, then too bad.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So, slept on this for a few days now. My give a shit level on this is at about a 2/10. TJ may be one of the more high profile fighters to get popped (in the sense he was a reigning champion), but, there's a whole organization called Bellator where the majority of their top fighters have been busted for doping.

I'm echoing Luke Thomas here, but USADA has not made MMA safer, nor has USADA decreased the amount of PED use. Bans have been increased from two years to 4 years, and, I'm sure we'll see more lifetime bans within MMA soon, because the presence of USADA alone is not deterring anyone.

I also have to laugh when I see MMA fans getting completely outraged when a fighter like TJ gets popped (I'm talking more about people on facebook posting on MMAFighting or MMAJunkie, this isn't directed at anyone here.) It's like they don't watch other sports. I'd LOVE to see USADA style drug test done on the Stanley Cup finals teams, simply for the shock value of the results. Let's not pretend athletes from the Big 4, MLS and NCAA aren't on stuff. And each league knows as much, hence why we don't see USADA anywhere near these leagues, and never will.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, slept on this for a few days now. My give a **** level on this is at about a 2/10. TJ may be one of the more high profile fighters to get popped (in the sense he was a reigning champion), but, there's a whole organization called Bellator where the majority of their top fighters have been busted for doping.

I'm echoing Luke Thomas here, but USADA has not made MMA safer, nor has USADA decreased the amount of PED use. Bans have been increased from two years to 4 years, and, I'm sure we'll see more lifetime bans within MMA soon, because the presence of USADA alone is not deterring anyone.

I also have to laugh when I see MMA fans getting completely outraged when a fighter like TJ gets popped (I'm talking more about people on facebook posting on MMAFighting or MMAJunkie, this isn't directed at anyone here.) It's like they don't watch other sports. I'd LOVE to see USADA style drug test done on the Stanley Cup finals teams, simply for the shock value of the results. Let's not pretend athletes from the Big 4, MLS and NCAA aren't on stuff. And each league knows as much, hence why we don't see USADA anywhere near these leagues, and never will.

It's a completely different animal when it comes to combat sports

I couldn't care less if a basketball player is using PED's because his job isn't to punch, kick and slam another human being inside a cage

And, yes, there's a grey area when it comes to contact sports such as football and hockey, but the majority of sports are non-contact and don't carry the same short and long term health dangers that combat sports do

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So, slept on this for a few days now. My give a **** level on this is at about a 2/10. TJ may be one of the more high profile fighters to get popped (in the sense he was a reigning champion), but, there's a whole organization called Bellator where the majority of their top fighters have been busted for doping.

Totally agree. I listen to Luke Thomas as well and although I disagree with some of his other viewpoints he is spot on in regards to PEDs in MMA. I try to stay out of many of the PED conversations around here because of the misinformation and biases that are often floating around but I really like his level viewpoint on it.

The reality was the sport was a mess in terms of steroids for awhile but now it's over-regulated at a time when people are still learning the science of everything. They are able to test things and levels more precisely than ever and that's not necessarily a good thing. Eventually they will find a middle ground but it's probably many years away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad