T.J. Brodie

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Unfortunately at his cap hit he basically has zero to negative value. I'm not so sure we should be spending assets to fix the team this year. There are too many holes to fill. Tinker next year and go hardddd 2025-2026.

Reactions: arso40

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hard to envision a scenario where he's a Leaf after this season. He's clearly on the decline and doesn't look all that capable of playing top 4 minutes anymore. I guess I'd consider bringing him back if he's willing to take a huge pay cut and play on the bottom pair, but have to think he's gonna try to get one last payday before his career ends.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie looks cooked this season. Has that weary last season of Jake Gardiner body language on puck retrievals and just makes uncharacteristically risky plays, hesitates to eat physical contact.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Brodie was the most reliable D we had a couple of years ago but has clearly lost a step and it shows even more than it would because of the paper thin defense we have. He can't be the heavy lifter any longer and unfortunately the Leafs have no one else.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Part of the problem with the Leafs defence is that Brodie isn't hurt.

So he continues to play on the top pair. Terribly. Considering he's one of the team's best defensemen I'm amazed they're even above .500.

Brodie can be traded.

If the players don't like it too bad. This is professional sports. Hurt feelings aren't a factor.

Not for a team that is supposed to be contending for a cup.

The Leafs played a shit show last night. They got blasted 9-3. In part because the washed up carcass of TJ Brodie is their second best defenseman.

It doesn't matter how many goals the forwards score so long as the defense and goaltending remain suspect every year.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLife17

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Should have moved him in the offseason while he still had some market value.

Needs to be gone, along with his cap hit.

Yeah, he's done. Tanev will probably be his replacement.
I like Tanev, but he’s not a long term top 4 RHD, which is what we need to be allocating cap and resources to get.

Enough band aid solutions on Rielly’s RHD side. Fix it already.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
In a 82 game season, there's going to be spots where he looks underwhelming.

He's definitely lost a step, but he's an effective NHL defenseman if he's used correctly. He should not be playing on the top pair. If he's playing on the 2nd pair or even in a 3rd pair support role, you're going to see how good he can be.

But based on roster construction, the Leafs don't have much of a choice.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You can’t be a effective NHL D man and be afraid of being hit. That’s just one of the many problems with the way Brodie has been playing. I understand he’s having personal issues, but get him out of the line up for the love of God………

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

So he continues to play on the top pair. Terribly. Considering he's one of the team's best defensemen I'm amazed they're even above .500.

Brodie can be traded.

If the players don't like it too bad. This is professional sports. Hurt feelings aren't a factor.

The Leafs played a shit show last night. They got blasted 9-3. In part because the washed up carcass of TJ Brodie is their second best defenseman.

It doesn't matter how many goals the forwards score so long as the defense and goaltending remain suspect every year.

He is owed 7.5 million this year. Cash is a massive factor.
Who wants to pay 5ish million for this level of play

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You can’t be a effective NHL D man and be afraid of being hit. That’s just one of the many problems with the way Brodie has been playing. I understand he’s having personal issues, but get him out of the line up for the love of God………

And play who exactly?

You essentially have 1 top pairing defenseman with Morgan Rielly. And then a bunch of guys that should be playing a lot less than what they are.

You also can't have Timmins, Lagesson, Benoit or Giordano playing significant minutes down the stretch. You can get away with it now when you can outscore your problems. But going into the playoffs, you're playing with fire.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And play who exactly?

You essentially have 1 top pairing defenseman with Morgan Rielly. And then a bunch of guys that should be playing a lot less than what they are.

You also can't have Timmins, Lagesson, Benoit or Giordano playing significant minutes down the stretch. You can get away with it now when you can outscore your problems. But going into the playoffs, you're playing with fire.
No shit, but when half your cap goes to 4 forwards this is the caliber of D you can afford. The problems only going to get worse next year……..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Brodie looks cooked this season. Has that weary last season of Jake Gardiner body language on puck retrievals and just makes uncharacteristically risky plays, hesitates to eat physical contact.

He looked like he was out for a skate last night.

I thought this might be his last year with the Leafs unless he takes a haircut contract to replace Giordano as a platoon player.

Perhaps he's been overplayed and just doesn't have the legs.

Coach is gonna coach.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Brodie can be traded.

Liljegren is playing top pairing...

In his last 5 games, he's played 1st most, 2nd most x 2, 3rd most, and 4th most.

Not sure he is seen as a surefire top 2D right now by our coaching staff.

And play who exactly?

It's weird that we have largely the same defensive core as last year, but are now saying they can't play D...

I think it has a lot more to do with the goaltending being atrocious (minus Woll) and we knew we were sacrificing some defensive play from the forwards by bringing in Bert/Domi, the hope is they provide more offense for us.

Unless going from Holl to Timmins is a huge upgrade and everyone wants Holl back...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad